Time wasted, dreams crushed... same cover.

Am I in the wrong for canceling?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 100.0%

• Total voters

Ununique

Messiah of Alternate Accounts.
To begin with, this is more of an author rant than a discussion.

After focusing the majority of my time the last 2 weeks in waiting for and trying to work with a freelance artist to commission a new book cover. My end result was a feeling of guilt over canceling the commission. However, I still remain with the same cover on my story as before, and a lot of time I have to make up to finish a chapter that's now 2 weeks late. The worst part is that I had been steadily getting updates on the progress for the cover with character concepts and the finished outline that were flat out amazing and pretty much everything I asked for. It was a commission that was scheduled for only 6 days and even then contact was ok since I asked if they would need more time after missing the first deadline. To which they responded yes. This repeated one more time before the third time they missed the deadline there was no update. So I still left a note of extending it another 4 days leaving it to a total of a 2 week or 14-day commission over the originally scheduled 6 days. Even then I waited for a response and nothing so today I outright canceled. The frustration and sadness come from the fact that many days were sunk into anticipating the new cover and releasing it alongside the new chapter as well as the effort that was put into the concept art and sketches. But not telling your client at least "it'll be a couple more days, I'm sorry" or "Could you give me more time?" makes it hard to even want to continue with the commission when you're just hung out to dry on details and the excuses were blatant lies. For example, "I'm finishing up coloring the background", on the first missed deadline would imply the coloring of the characters is done. Then, "I'm having trouble with the clothing on character 3", despite having told me the line art was complete and the coloring of the characters should have been done on the day it was due if they were running late. I get that those are inferences but given that they advertise a maximum of 5 days for a background and two characters on a commission and ask for 6 days on a custom commission with 3 characters I wasn't shocked they missed the first deadline. I didn't expect it to take more than double that for what should have been a bit more extended commission. But again they were working on it but communications deteriorated after 10 days. Those last four days? Nothing and I kept asking "are you okay?", "is there any detail or question you have left for the commission", and then just left the extra time I would wait and after 3 days, again nothing, like they disappeared so I just left the note that we're done.

Now I gotta get back to that promise I made on the forum from before.

dead_deer

I don't think you should feel guilty at all. At its core, with a commission, you're hiring an artist to complete a service for you. I think you were being far more generous than you had to after you didn't cancel when the artist didn't meet the first deadline. After missing that first deadline, I don't think an artist can blame their customer for pulling out of the transaction. Perhaps I might've given the artist another chance as you did, but after countless deadlines missed and being ghosted, the only correct action is to cancel. I hope you can find another cover!

Ununique

Here are some of the sketches they sent me as updates and honestly it's still a shame to not see what the cover could've been.

Optimized-IMG_20200601_202805 (1).jpg
Optimized-IMG_20200602_212325.jpg
Optimized-IMG_20200602_230129.jpg

D

Deleted member 29316

Nope. Do not feel guilty at all.

Not to brag, but with that quality of work, I can finish it for three days maximum, provided I got no other responsibilities, complete with colors. Six days is a lot of time for something that is commissioned.

It still a rough draft of what could've been a great cover!

This took me 5 hours to complete, on focus and a drumload of coffee. It's an insert for my novel.
103357316_2337394466565894_7357929085659084862_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FIEND

bruh even i cud sketch that, gud thing u offed the commission. find better people on deviant art

Xiaoshen

If they aren't professional enough to stick to a deadline, they don't deserve the money. For a freelance worker, word is bond and the only thing you have is your name and body of work. The one who should be feeling guilt is them, not you.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

After focusing the majority of my time the last 2 weeks in waiting for and trying to work with a freelance artist to commission a new book cover. My end result was a feeling of guilt over canceling the commission. However, I still remain with the same cover on my story as before, and a lot of time I have to make up to finish a chapter that's now 2 weeks late. The worst part is that I had been steadily getting updates on the progress for the cover with character concepts and the finished outline that were flat out amazing and pretty much everything I asked for. It was a commission that was scheduled for only 6 days and even then contact was ok since I asked if they would need more time after missing the first deadline. To which they responded yes. This repeated one more time before the third time they missed the deadline there was no update. So I still left a note of extending it another 4 days leaving it to a total of a 2 week or 14-day commission over the originally scheduled 6 days. Even then I waited for a response and nothing so today I outright canceled. The frustration and sadness come from the fact that many days were sunk into anticipating the new cover and releasing it alongside the new chapter as well as the effort that was put into the concept art and sketches. But not telling your client at least "it'll be a couple more days, I'm sorry" or "Could you give me more time?" makes it hard to even want to continue with the commission when you're just hung out to dry on details and the excuses were blatant lies. For example, "I'm finishing up coloring the background", on the first missed deadline would imply the coloring of the characters is done. Then, "I'm having trouble with the clothing on character 3", despite having told me the line art was complete and the coloring of the characters should have been done on the day it was due if they were running late. I get that those are inferences but given that they advertise a maximum of 5 days for a background and two characters on a commission and ask for 6 days on a custom commission with 3 characters I wasn't shocked they missed the first deadline. I didn't expect it to take more than double that for what should have been a bit more extended commission. But again they were working on it but communications deteriorated after 10 days. Those last four days? Nothing and I kept asking "are you okay?", "is there any detail or question you have left for the commission", and then just left the extra time I would wait and after 3 days, again nothing, like they disappeared so I just left the note that we're done.

I dont get why you bothered cancelling. I wouldnt. I would keep bitching till they responded. No reason to cancel. That would just be money and time wasted if you do that.

Ununique

I dont get why you bothered cancelling. I wouldnt. I would keep bitching till they responded. No reason to cancel. That would just be money and time wasted if you do that.
You're only half right, my time was wasted my money was not.

SourDaiDai

Sorry to hear this happened to you dude! I say, it's a wonder you didn't cancel the first time, you both entered a transaction and both agreed to the set time-limit. They must adhere to it. Them not sticking to a limit you both agreed to and continuously pushing the date back is just...it really shows their un-professionalism. I would stay away from a person who can't keep their side of a bargain.

I hope you find a better artist for your cover, lad. (And your money if you paid upfront)

SwirlyUnicorn

vous me voyez
Breach of duty. That what they did so in my opinion you're not wrong for cancelling the commission since they failed to fulfill their duties. You said that they're the one who ghosted you so it's fine.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
That sucks. I commissioned a couple of chapter illustrations that haven't been delivered yet, but I paid in advance, and I was really patient because I was focusing on other artists who were delivering, so . . . it's kinda too late to try and get my money back at this point. I'm just going to assume that the artists were going through some personal shit and really needed the money.

Nyan_sempai

,✨ ILLUSTRATOR ✨

*pats*
I think i would have done the same.
That sucks. I commissioned a couple of chapter illustrations that haven't been delivered yet, but I paid in advance, and I was really patient because I was focusing on other artists who were delivering, so . . . it's kinda too late to try and get my money back at this point. I'm just going to assume that the artists were going through some personal shit and really needed the money.
*pat pat*

I think next time you can pick an artist from this community itself, i may sound... idk.. weird, but i think the artists i know from this community are pretty honest and hardworking too (including myself) from my interactions with them.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Well... On the plus side, you can find a new artist and then make them commissions! ^^)/

Elim

If it was me, I'd have written a long review of that person you commissioned.

Oh trust me it won't be nice.

GhostlyArtz

From an artist's perspective, communication is vital (especially with commissions over the internet) so that is the artist's failure on not communicating with you. I've commissioned people before, and I will always prefer the talkative ones over the ones that are silent, no matter how slow or fast they are.

So, it is unfortunate for you (hopefully you have better luck next time) and with any luck the artist learned a lesson about lack of communication since really the fault lays on them. I've found people can be incredibly patient if you are just honest with them and explain any issues that arrive if life turns into hell in a hand basket.

ForestDweller

Unless you already have a good working relationship with the artist, half upfront and half after completion seem to be fair.