Tips For New Writers Keeping A Schedule.

loppol

I have been writing on and off for a couple weeks now, and one thing I’ve struggled with is uploading consistently after the initial excitement of starting a new series has faded.

Is there anything that you would recommend to me or any beginner writers to have a consistent upload schedule?

Crabapples

The only thing that's helped me keep a somewhat decent schedule is accountability and body doubling. I'm a discord where other authors do group writing times where everyone works on their own stories and we compare word counts at the end. We use this for a bot: https://github.com/pengowray/sprinto/wiki

Other than that maybe you can ask a friend to remind you, or set an alarm every day and make that a dedicated "writing" time. Even if you don't write that much it might help to dedicate some time every day to writing.

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
I've always considered writing backlog, stockpiled chapters before actually posting the story just for the fact that I knew I won't be able to write every single day without getting burned out.

TremendousHuman

Actual reason behind demographic problems
Before you wedge writing into your schedule I suggest that you evaluate just how important writing is to you.
For me, writing was not important enough to move any other things I have going on, so I write at a snail's pace when I have both a desire and free time to do so.
If writing is important for you, you will naturally have an easier time in making time for it after you have evaluated it so.
I don't think it is necessary, but just in case - choosing to write or not to write are both respectable choices and none are better than the other. Evaluate with that in mind, and don't worry about your answer.

HappyVainGlory

I have been writing on and off for a couple weeks now, and one thing I’ve struggled with is uploading consistently after the initial excitement of starting a new series has faded.

Is there anything that you would recommend to me or any beginner writers to have a consistent upload schedule?
Wake up. Turn on computer. Open word processor. Play a song in the background. Write until song finishes. Repeat as needed. Publish.

Noel_Elitia

read a story you like and then think how it compares to your. Maybe you will find a motivation to write something even better.
Well the usual kind of suggestions you already know otherwise.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
As others have said, backlog. Write as much as you can when you can, then release at a set pace, regardless of how much you want to release it all. Just gotta be careful to write faster than you release or you will run out of backlog. I've had pretty good luck with it, as some days I'll manage several chapters in one day to make up for days and days without writing.

Other than that, I try to focus on how others will enjoy reading the story (really helps if you get comments along these lines) and try to focus on making more story for them.

Lloyd

Funny Guy :)
At some point you just need to have the willpower

K5Rakitan

Level 35 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Everyone's life is different, so find something that works for you.

I have no ability to write on a schedule, so my only hope for posting on a schedule is:

1. Write an entire "chunk" of the story in advance
2. Post the chapters in that "chunk" on a schedule
3. Don't post anything more until the next "chunk" is ready.

If you pick the boundaries of your chunk well, this should be satisfying for the readers too.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
>.>
<.<

ADHD meds.

Okay, seriously, if it's just an issue of being unable to write because you lost the excitement, then finding something that works for you in creating a routine is the best advice I could give.

... If you have lots of issues with procrastination, or focusing, or doing the things you set yourself to do in general, then consider visiting a psychologist and/or a psychiatrist. Sometimes your problem isn't that you lost the initial excitement, but that your head refuses to work properly with long-term plans.

I tried working at home-office for 5 years and was completely unsuccessful at it... ADHD meds were what made me start moving forward.

So... Maybe you need medical help, maybe you don't. Just consider it as a possibility at the very least.

>.>
<.<

ADHD meds.

Okay, seriously, if it's just an issue of being unable to write because you lost the excitement, then finding something that works for you in creating a routine is the best advice I could give.

... If you have lots of issues with procrastination, or focusing, or doing the things you set yourself to do in general, then consider visiting a psychologist and/or a psychiatrist. Sometimes your problem isn't that you lost the initial excitement, but that your head refuses to work properly with long-term plans.

I tried working at home-office for 5 years and was completely unsuccessful at it... ADHD meds were what made me start moving forward.

So... Maybe you need medical help, maybe you don't. Just consider it as a possibility at the very least.
... Oh yeah, this. I actually tried getting on meds once and they said "I diagnose you with autism" instead.

I already knew I was autistic. My problem is that I also have ADHD and my brain goes brr all the time in a not good way.

Sigh. Maybe I'll try again later.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
... Oh yeah, this. I actually tried getting on meds once and they said "I diagnose you with autism" instead.

I already knew I was autistic. My problem is that I also have ADHD and my brain goes brr all the time in a not good way.

Sigh. Maybe I'll try again later.
A different psychiatrist might help with that! Good luck! >.<

I have light autism and ADHD myself, and like... Well, I got both diagnosed together, and it helped me a lot to get ADHD medication, while also getting some treatment for the Autism~

Yeah... back when I got diagnosed with autism, the common understanding was that you couldn't also have ADHD. Don't really understand why they thought that lmao but there you go.

Honestly, back then it probably was more important for me to understand that I'm autistic than the ADHD part. But it's still there and it's still messing with me. So... yeah, once I'm not super busy with other things, I'll look into that again.