Writing 'Torporous' is not a real word. Should you use it anyways?

wimbledon

"Torpor" refers to an 'inactive, lethargic state'; "Torpid" is the widely-accepted adjective form of it.

"Torporous" is not a real word; however, I feel that it more adequately describes torpidity than 'torpid' itself. It drags on for three syllables instead of two, and repeatedly uses the 'o'-sound instead of switching to -'id' (which also ends more abruptly compared to the hissing 's').

It is clearly derived from the root word "torpor", and thus using it in this way should not greatly obfuscate its meaning—but it also resembles the word "torturous", which may evoke a different image than using the conventional 'torpid'.

——Nonetheless, "torporous" is not a real word.

When is adhering to conventional language better than using invented language?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
"Torpor" refers to an 'inactive, lethargic state'; "Torpid" is the widely-accepted adjective form of it.

"Torporous" is not a real word; however, I feel that it more adequately describes torpidity than 'torpid' itself. It drags on for three syllables instead of two, and repeatedly uses the 'o'-sound instead of switching to -'id' (which also ends more abruptly compared to the hissing 's').

It is clearly derived from the root word "torpor", and thus using it in this way should not greatly obfuscate its meaning—but it also resembles the word "torturous", which may evoke a different image than using the conventional 'torpid'.

——Nonetheless, "torporous" is not a real word.

When is adhering to conventional language better than using invented language?
if Tolkien's old ass can do it, so can I.

KrakenRiderEmma

Of course you should do this — how do you think the dictionary-approved words languor, languid, and languorous came about? Languid is to torpid as languorous is to torporous. Languorous has a slightly different meaning from languid, it has connotations of luxurious relaxation and not needing to do anything, while languid has vibes of being helplessly or deficiently slow, tired, weak, unwilling to move.

I resolve to use this word the next time a protagonist is way too groggy

Succubiome

My belief is that readers only complain about new words if it feels out of place-- if the word seems cromulent, they'll just keep reading, perhaps without even noticing it.

In the example given, Torporous is using an existing word with an existing way of altering words-- I doubt anyone will notice, much less mind.

I guess if you get enough readers you might eventually run into someone with a prescriptival language obsession, but you're gonna get occasional weird niche complaints no matter what you do, and you shouldn't write your story specifically around trying to avoid them.

Succubiome

I have used words in non-standard ways at least once in my most popular novel on Scribblehub, and no one has called me on it.

I have had people tell me when I write confusingly enough they aren't sure what I mean, or if it's an obvious mistake, like using the wrong title for a character or stopping writing in the middle of a

Which I appreciate!

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
My belief is that readers only complain about new words if it feels out of place-- if the word seems cromulent, they'll just keep reading, perhaps without even noticing it.

In the example given, Torporous is using an existing word with an existing way of altering words-- I doubt anyone will notice, much less mind.

I guess if you get enough readers you might eventually run into someone with a prescriptival language obsession, but you're gonna get occasional weird niche complaints no matter what you do, and you shouldn't write your story specifically around trying to avoid them.
LMAO! I looked it, and that word was made by the Simpsons. That's a nice touch! LOL!

BlackKnightX

Sure, why not. Just be ready for medieval guard-dogs to criticize you for it, though.

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author

My issue is with the word cromulent. How can such a horrible combination of sounds have the gall to have meaning?

Succubiome

My issue is with the word cromulent. How can such a horrible combination of sounds have the gall to have meaning?
I like how cromulent sounds, personally, but I probably wouldn't use it in fiction unless I wanted people to go "ah, the Simpsons" for some reason I can't currently imagine.

sanitylimited

the thing about english is you need to know the origns of the word to know how to pronounce/spell it. no english studier wants to remember every shake spear violently wannabe who wants to add to the dictionary.

J_Chemist

I do what I want. Especially if it means making shit up.