Trolls?

naosu

I'm curious how often do you guys end up with trolls on this site, and posting stuff in your stories?

And what's the best way to deal with them?

minacia

perpetually sour
I'm curious how often do you guys end up with trolls on this site, and posting stuff in your stories?

Personally, I don't encounter many on my stories, but I'm not a very big author.

Some people go around instantly rating anything they dislike 1-star, but depending on your views, that may or may not be trolling. Tony will sometimes pick up on people who 1-star too frequently and remove those ratings.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

:blob_melt: I can only tell you from personal experience that the percentage of troll ratings among real negative ratings is high. So look out for them and suspicious rating patterns.

minacia

perpetually sour
:blob_melt: I can only tell you from personal experience that the percentage of troll ratings among real negative ratings is high. So look out for them and suspicious rating patterns.
Well, it depends on how you define a "troll rating", doesn't it?

Usually, people 1-star if they felt or saw something they disliked.

For some people, they 1-star BL as soon as they see BL.

Other people 1-star as soon as they see bad grammar.

And other people 1-star as soon as they see harem and slave tag.

Assurbanipal_II

Well, it depends on how you define a "troll rating", doesn't it?

Usually, people 1-star if they felt or saw something they disliked.

For some people, they 1-star BL as soon as they see BL.

Other people 1-star as soon as they see bad grammar.

And other people 1-star as soon as they see harem and slave tag.

So far I got roughly 20 1-stars removed through consistent reporting, which means 50% of all 1-stars I got on both of my stories were actually fake.

If you don't consider that a high percentage, I don't know what else is.

minacia

perpetually sour
So far I got roughly 20 1-stars removed through consistent reporting, which means 50% of all 1-stars I got on both of my stories were actually fake.

If you don't consider that a high percentage, I don't know what else is.
Hmm, I dunno. Given that you have 152 overall ratings, I actually don't really think it's that high of a percentage.

That said, my stories tend to get a lot of 1-stars. XD

I'm also a translator, so I'm used to seeing stories I translate get a lot of 1-stars as well, but I tend not to take it as personally because it's not really "my story". I sort of interpret it as some people just really like to hate on things they hate.

But then again, I've never tried reporting any of the ratings (how do you even do that?)

I'm curious how you define a "fake rating" though? Is the presumption that these are accounts that people created solely to 1-star authors? I wonder how Tony determines which ratings to remove and which to keep.

Assurbanipal_II

Hmm, I dunno. Given that you have 152 overall ratings, I actually don't really think it's that high of a percentage.

That said, my stories tend to get a lot of 1-stars. XD

I'm also a translator, so I'm used to seeing stories I translate get a lot of 1-stars as well, but I tend not to take it as personally because it's not really "my story". I sort of interpret it as some people just really like to hate on things they hate.

But then again, I've never tried reporting any of the ratings (how do you even do that?)

I'm curious how you define a "fake rating" though? Is the presumption that these are accounts that people created solely to 1-star authors? I wonder how Tony determines which ratings to remove and which to keep.

The same way I got a review removed made by an account that had no stories in their reading, no story written, and no other activity for months since they gave my story a negative rating.

minacia

perpetually sour
The same way I got a review removed made by an account that had no stories in their reading, no story written, and no other activity for months since they gave my story a negative rating.
I see, so the idea is that it's possibly a duplicate 1-star rating from a clone account?

*ponders*

I wonder if people secretly keep alt accounts to 1-star stories they don't like.

I actually tend to stalk most of my readers (and their reading lists), and I usually don't see many 1-stars in peoples' reading lists. I have this theory that maybe readers do their 1-staring on alternate accounts so authors can't find them on their main accounts lol. Or that people who hide their reading lists 1-star a lot lol.

Assurbanipal_II

I see, so the idea is that it's possibly a duplicate 1-star rating from a clone account?

*ponders*

I wonder if people secretly keep alt accounts to 1-star stories they don't like.

I actually tend to stalk most of my readers (and their reading lists), and I usually don't see many 1-stars in peoples' reading lists. I have this theory that maybe readers do their 1-staring on alternate accounts so authors can't find them on their main accounts lol. Or that people who hide their reading lists 1-star a lot lol.
I have met only 1 person so far stupid or brave enough to pack their 1-star stories into their reading list. You don't do that.

minacia

perpetually sour
I have met only 1 person so far stupid or brave enough to pack their 1-star stories into their reading list. You don't do that.
Well, I think readers like their privacy.

The way that ScribbleHub works... it's kind of possible for authors to stalk their readers... which imo is kind of invasive.

LostLibrarian

Here is a really weird and unrealistic thought:
Maybe readers who dropped your story with a 1-star rating don't keep those in their reading list? :er_what_s:

The only reason to have such story remain on the reading list would be to filter the releases, but I don't think many users know of that feature, let alone use it...

minacia

perpetually sour
Maybe readers who dropped your story with a 1-star rating don't keep those in their reading list? :er_what_s:

The only reason to have such story remain on the reading list would be to filter the releases, but I don't think many users know of that feature, let alone use it...
I actually don't know how to remove a story from a reading list.... lol....

How do you do that? XD

Assurbanipal_II

I actually don't know how to remove a story from a reading list.... lol....

How do you do that? XD

:blob_blank: Use the select and delete button.

1608572702437.png

minacia

perpetually sour
Hm... thinking about things further, I don't really think I get that many troll ratings.

Like I tend to get 1-stars one at a time, and they're fairly spaced out, so I figure that they're probably real people who read the first chapter of my story and instantly hated it. That said, I've never been able to find someone who gave me a 1-star though lol ^^

Devils.Advocate

An objectionable existence
I'm curious how you define a "fake rating" though?
weirdly, I have only seen people complain about one stars, but there is yet anyone complain about 5 stars, even when several users openly admits, they 5 stars novels as soon as they like it.... is that binary level assessment a good thing?

sometimes i wonder, is a blind 5 star, as fake as a blind 1 star? or are they different...

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Few people ever comment to troll. When they do, it's best to just ignore them altogether. Nothing irritates a troll more than a complete lack of response.

Some people keep lists for novels they've dropped or finished, so it's possible for them to end up there, if readers were so inclined.

minacia

perpetually sour
weirdly, I have only seen people complain about one stars, but there is yet anyone complain about 5 stars, even when several users openly admits, they 5 stars novels as soon as they like it.... is that binary level assessment a good thing?

sometimes i wonder, is a blind 5 star, as fake as a blind 1 star? or are they different...
I personally think it’s fine.

My opinion is probably a consequence of me minoring in computer science though. If you don’t want people to do certain things, then it’s necessary to program your app in a way that makes it physically impossible to do it wrong.

Otherwise, we have to accept that the end-user will generally do whatever they want.