Trying to come up with a cover.

What would make you want to read the book?

• Sexy elf and dwarf

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Something silly

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Something accurate

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Something weird

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

radraccoon

I've been told that my current cover, with the battle plans text and building on it, is too bland to draw in readers. However I felt it was a good indicator of the humor and tone of the story. I was advised to emphasize waifus, but there's only two women in the book and neither is presented as waifu material. I feel like the image with the goblin raising the sword up in triumph also fits the tone of the story (and is, in fact, the opening scene--even if it's just a story main character is telling). The other image is the two main goblins in the story, Tad and Glum, but if sex appeal is how to bring in readers then this would be the opposite.
So what makes for a good cover? Any advice?
Waifus2.jpg
goblinsword.jpg
IMG_0233.jpg
A Hero Among Monsters.png

Agentt

Thighs
Not gonna lie, I love the cover. Yeah, it perfectly tells that this book is comedic gold. I find it quite perfect. Ignore all that talk, it's just to bring in horny teens who are attracted to boobs

radraccoon

Not gonna lie, I love the cover. Yeah, it perfectly tells that this book is comedic gold. I find it quite perfect. Ignore all that talk, it's just to bring in horny teens who are attracted to boobs
Thanks. I was also told my blurb was too generic, bordering on boring. I had tried too had to keep from spoiling anything in the previous version. It was this:
A light-hearted fantasy adventure series about a young goblin, Tad, who is unexpectedly taken from his life of toiling in the factory and given the duty of protecting his land from elven invaders.
This is my new one:
A worker goblin in service of the Dread Lord isn't expected to do much more than maintain the sprawling, underground Machines Works. Although an imaginative youth, Tad had long accepted that he'd likely end up an old man, toiling among the gears and cranks of the machines. His boss, Glum, was happy enough with that life. However, when an ambitious and enigmatic orc named Hohza recruits the pair into his War Party, they must instead battle dwarves, sprites, and elves in the name of the Dread Lord Withering Sorrows. If Tad survives, he may get to experience a world wider than he'd ever dreamed, which may be too much for everyone else.

CabbagePreacher

I think the cover is really good for the story it's trying to convey, and I like your new blur as well.

D

Deleted member 57675

I've been told that my current cover, with the battle plans text and building on it, is too bland to draw in readers. However I felt it was a good indicator of the humor and tone of the story. I was advised to emphasize waifus, but there's only two women in the book and neither is presented as waifu material. I feel like the image with the goblin raising the sword up in triumph also fits the tone of the story (and is, in fact, the opening scene--even if it's just a story main character is telling). The other image is the two main goblins in the story, Tad and Glum, but if sex appeal is how to bring in readers then this would be the opposite.
So what makes for a good cover? Any advice?
View attachment 14300View attachment 14301View attachment 14302View attachment 14303
Artwork looks pretty neat thu! If first two are covers, then maybe give it some color. Otherwise very neat art! 😍

Your new synopsis sounds nicer too.

radraccoon

Still plugging away. People generally seem to feel that the current cover, which I'd class as "weird," is the best option. Still, I like exploring ideas. Here's the final version of one of the ideas I presented before. A brand new one which shows the first meeting of the two main characters, and the last one is just a sketch of a monster in the scene I'm currently writing (all the way in chapter 29 of the 2nd book.)

Attachments

• coversilly.jpg
    coversilly.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 46
  • covertense.jpg
    covertense.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 54
  • spiderbeast.jpg
    spiderbeast.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 45

Namike

I agree with the comment above me that the 2nd cover is good. I think it has more depth as it seems more alive and mysterious. I am not an artistic describer but it seems more like a story that is enjoyable instead of a story for humor jokes(Although I don't mind reading that)

weiss

Still plugging away. People generally seem to feel that the current cover, which I'd class as "weird," is the best option. Still, I like exploring ideas. Here's the final version of one of the ideas I presented before. A brand new one which shows the first meeting of the two main characters, and the last one is just a sketch of a monster in the scene I'm currently writing (all the way in chapter 29 of the 2nd book.)
If you still want to change the cover, like everyone else said, I think the second one of your new batch is pretty good. The texts could use some work though. I make pretty decent graphic covers so if you'd like, I can help you add the texts for free :D

I got some examples of my works here: https://www.instagram.com/weiiii.ss/

Hope this can help~

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Draw battle plans on a pair of giant breasts.

weiss

If you still want to change the cover, like everyone else said, I think the second one of your new batch is pretty good. The texts could use some work though. I make pretty decent graphic covers so if you'd like, I can help you add the texts for free :D

I got some examples of my works here: https://www.instagram.com/weiiii.ss/

Hope this can help~
I remembered this thread while I was editing on my computer today so I took the liberty to make some edits lol. I cleaned up the previous texts and just inserted new ones. You may use any of these if you'd like! There are many versions because I don't know which you'd prefer. I would personally recommend the second or fourth one though.

Attachments

• A Hero Among Monsters.png
    A Hero Among Monsters.png
    737 KB · Views: 37
  • A Hero Among Monsters (side shadows).png
    A Hero Among Monsters (side shadows).png
    903.7 KB · Views: 42
  • A Hero Among Monsters (new font).png
    A Hero Among Monsters (new font).png
    742.2 KB · Views: 44
  • A Hero Among Monsters (no bevel).png
    A Hero Among Monsters (no bevel).png
    728.4 KB · Views: 40
  • A Hero Among Monsters (lighting).png
    A Hero Among Monsters (lighting).png
    819.2 KB · Views: 37

radraccoon

I remembered this thread while I was editing on my computer today so I took the liberty to make some edits lol. I cleaned up the previous texts and just inserted new ones. You may use any of these if you'd like! There are many versions because I don't know which you'd prefer. I would personally recommend the second or fourth one though.
I appreciate it! What are the names of the fonts?

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
What are those worm-like things, though?

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
I think the first one would make a good cover with some polishing