Recommendations Unconventional BL

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I have been reading BL for a very, very long time (possibly since before I was 10...) and I've become honestly bored out of my skull of the usually very samesy tropes and relationship dynamics used by the genre.
I've had enough of having a seme and uke just because "that's how it's done", I've had enough of fighting over sex, I've had enough of one partner always being sly and dominant while the other is blushy and "pure", and I've had enough of the same damn jokes in every goddamn novel.
I don't mind men being feminine, but only if they're actually a character, rather than a cardboard cutout to fill the submissive role. (Also, why do all the feminine men have to be hardcore bottoms?)

Frankly, I write enough BL games with my friend that I don't have to settle for whatever happens to be published, so I often don't. I'll pretty much only take a chance on a BL if I trust it to offer me something new.

But I'm in a BL-reading mood and I could take a couple more to digest if they're available.

The BL that I've absolutely loved on this site has been:
"Fire Burning" by bafflinghaze - This is the only original BL I've ever found with a trans character, and it's an excellent story that gives its characters their own personalities and doesn't fall back on lazy BL tropes.

"Klue & Berry" by ars - Monster x human. The MC is a cunning merchant who's still well-meaning, and the monster is shy and wary about interacting. Also, the MC pursues the monster.

"Just Hold My Hand" by yansusustories - A nice, sweet short story with an asexual love interest.

If anyone knows any other refreshing and original BL on Scribble Hub, please recommend them to me~!

Last edited:

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
I have been reading BL for a very, very long time (possibly since before I was 10...) and I've become honesty bored out of my skull of the usually very samesy tropes and relationship dynamics used by the genre.
I've had enough of having a seme and uke just because "that's how it's done", I've had enough of fighting over sex, I've had enough of one partner always being sly and dominant while the other is blushy and "pure", and I've had enough of the same damn jokes in every goddamn novel.
I don't mind men being feminine, but only if they're actually a character, rather than a cardboard cutout to fill the submissive role. (Also, why do all the feminine men have to be hardcore bottoms?)

Frankly, I write enough BL games with my friend that I don't have to settle for whatever happens to be published, so I often don't. I'll pretty much only take a chance on a BL if I trust it to offer me something new.

But I'm in a BL-reading mood and I could take a couple more to digest if they're available.

The BL that I've absolutely loved on this site has been:
"Fire Burning" by bafflinghaze - This is the only original BL I've ever found with a trans character, and it's an excellent story that gives its characters their own personalities and doesn't fall back on lazy BL tropes.

"Klue & Berry" by ars - Monster x human. The MC is a cunning merchant who's still well-meaning, and the monster is shy and wary about interacting. Also, the MC pursues the monster.

"Just Hold My Hand" by yansusustories - A nice, sweet short story with an asexual love interest.

If anyone knows any other refreshing and original BL on Scribble Hub, please recommend them to me~!
I haven't been in a reading mood for a long while so I unfortunately can't add to your list.
I'm interested in seeing what recommendations are given, though.
|.o)

Also, games?

X

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Also, games?

X
I play roleplaying games with my friend, which basically work out as turn-based collaborative writing. Since we decide everything about them, from the setting to the minute decisions by the characters, I'm never really without my ideal story type. (Until my friend doesn't feel like playing a game I'm dying to.)

I liked box shaped heart a lot on this site
The description makes the MC sound pretty insufferable... Can you give me a little bit more information on it?

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
I play roleplaying games with my friend, which basically work out as turn-based collaborative writing. Since we decide everything about them, from the setting to the minute decisions by the characters, I'm never really without my ideal story type. (Until my friend doesn't feel like playing a game I'm dying to.)
Have you ever considered playing D&D?
|.o)

X

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Have you ever considered playing D&D?
|.o)

X
I've played some in the past. It's pretty fun, but it's not the same sort of in-depth story as I get with the games my friend and I play.

Hilarious when your wizard accidentally kills your ally with friendly-fire, though. Bloody wizards.

AdLeto

Hilarious when your wizard accidentally kills your ally with friendly-fire, though. Bloody wizards.

images (4).jpeg

Queenfisher

Bird?

I came to writing from Forum-based collaborative fictional RPGs! :blob_aww: I loved doing that so much, too!

(I was the DM, mainly, so all the NPCs were my turf, mwahahahaha).

Re: actual thread topic --

I feel like you are teasing me with that thread title, :blob_teary: . Especially after I've talked way too much about how super-speshul and unconventional my own BL book is... (in the signature banner).

But please note that it's a bit too unconventional. First of all, it spends too much time on non-BL stuff which is a severe letdown for many readers. Personally, I don't like it that most BL focuses too much on BL stuff, thus restricting the genre and the themes it can explore. So the mystery element in my book is complex and very twisty. And it has two timelines because I was stupid to even think I could begin this book in media res.

Which is already hella unconventional since it's definitely not a light read.

Also, my drawing style is too girly when I try to draw males and the cover is not representative of the actual characters' looks in the story. :blob_sweat:

There is no top/bottom dynamic, there are many cross-dressing issues and the subversion of some gender/trad-BL tropes. Above all, one of the guys is ace/aro while the other is incredibly sexually/romantically active. So that makes the romance kind of... weird and disbalanced? But there is no non-con and no dub-con between the main couple. No "Nice Guy TM" dynamic either. The active guy does not get "rewarded" with romance/sex just because he's super nice and patient with the MC. The active guy is mostly passive (by choice) and all decisions in "romance" go to the ace/aro MC.

Though both guys are very different, they do not push each other to conform to another's needs. Thus, the asocial guy does not get "fixed" from his asociality, and does not get his asexuality or a-romance "resolved" either. Mainly, they explore the issues of compromise and wondering if people so unfit to be together should even bother. ╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

The ace/aro guy is also ASD and kind of cold/indifferent most of the time, and with him, I explore all the negative stereotyping of such people. The whole thing with the "dummy/doll/wooden log" of the book's premise is about that and how objectification of humans works in general and if consent is even a thing when you're a doll that everyone can mold/fix into something "better" that they want to see. This is still crucial to the BL storyline because, apart from the ML who would die to preserve the authentic self of the MC, everyone else wants to "fix" him. :blob_neutral:

As for other unconventional stories on SH,

Some of the stories of @yansusustories in her collection would do that since it's all about exploring different facets of BL storytelling.

Also, @bafflinghaze wrote another book. It's much closer to LGBTQ+ m/m novels than to traditional BL and is very, very cute!

Also, both these books have ridiculously-low amount of readers (in my opinion) because they do not conform to what the BL crowd mainly prefers to read around here. So SUPPORT!

@Amarathia 's

-- does not feature top/bottom dynamic as well and is a light-hearted read. But I would actually suggest reading this book of hers instead --

-- the more feminine guy is more of a top and is actually older (not in Immortal/eternally-youthful sense, but in real age sense). Is a realistic depiction of depression and self-loathing of the MC that the ML tries to combat. (Though the beginning makes it seem like trad uke/seme pair, they really are not).

Other than that, I don't know but I wish I did. I want to read a lot of SH BLs to support the authors of this niche, but time constrains TT__TT... Not sure about this book, but

-- caught my attention recently as being somewhat unusual for this site (?). I'd have to read more to make sure, though.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I came to writing from Forum-based collaborative fictional RPGs! :blob_aww: I loved doing that so much, too!

(I was the DM, mainly, so all the NPCs were my turf, mwahahahaha).

Re: actual thread topic --

I feel like you are teasing me with that thread title, :blob_teary: . Especially after I've talked way too much about how super-speshul and unconventional my own BL book is... (in the signature banner).

But please note that it's a bit too unconventional. First of all, it spends too much time on non-BL stuff which is a severe letdown for many readers. Personally, I don't like it that most BL focuses too much on BL stuff, thus restricting the genre and the themes it can explore. So the mystery element in my book is complex and very twisty. And it has two timelines because I was stupid to even think I could begin this book in media res.

Also, my drawing style is too girly when I try to draw males and the cover is not representative of the actual characters' looks in the story. :blob_sweat:

There is no top/bottom dynamic, there are many cross-dressing issues and the subversion of some gender/trad-BL tropes. Above all, one of the guys is ace/aro while the other is incredibly sexually/romantically active. So that makes the romance kind of... weird and disbalanced? But there is no non-con and no dub-con between the main couple. No "Nice Guy TM" dynamic either. The active guy does not get "rewarded" with romance/sex just because he's super nice and patient with the MC. The active guy is mostly passive (by choice) and all decisions in "romance" go to the ace/aro MC.

Though both guys are very different, they do not push each other to conform to another's needs. Thus, the asocial guy does not get "fixed" from his asociality, and does not get his asexuality or a-romance "resolved" either. Mainly, they explore the issues of compromise and wondering if people so unfit to be together should even bother. ╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

The ace/aro guy is also ASD and kind of cold/indifferent most of the time, and with him, I explore all the negative stereotyping of such people. The whole thing with the "dummy/doll/wooden log" of the book's premise is about that and how objectification of humans works in general and if consent is even a thing when you're a doll that everyone can mold/fix into something "better" that they want to see. This is still crucial to the BL storyline because, apart from the ML who would die to preserve the authentic self of the MC, everyone else wants to "fix" him. :blob_neutral:

Some of the stories of @yansusustories in her collection would do that since it's all about exploring different facets of BL storytelling.

Also, @bafflinghaze wrote another book. It's much closer to LGBTQ+ m/m novels than to traditional BL and is very, very cute!

Also, both these books have ridiculously-low amount of readers (in my opinion) because they do not conform to what the BL crowd mainly prefers to read around here. So SUPPORT!

@Amarathia 's

-- does not feature top/bottom dynamic as well and is a light-hearted read. But I would actually suggest reading this book of hers instead --

-- the more feminine guy is more of a top and is actually older (not in Immortal/eternally-youthful sense, but in real age sense). Is a realistic depiction of depression and self-loathing of the MC that the ML tries to combat. (Though the beginning makes it seem like trad uke/seme pair, they really are not).

Other than that, I don't know but I wish I did. I want to read a lot of SH BLs to support the authors of this niche, but time constrains TT__TT... Not sure about this book, but

-- caught my attention recently as being somewhat unusual for this site (?). I'd have to read more to make sure, though.

Nobody recommends you, so I do.

[BL] The Emperor and the Tree Lovely story with regular updates. Stay logged! A shame it doesn't get more attention.

Queenfisher

Bird?
Nobody recommends you, so I do.

[BL] The Emperor and the Tree Lovely story with regular updates. Stay logged! A shame it doesn't get more attention.

I just did, you dummy princess >______<.

Also, are you sure you are an authority on recommending unconventional BLs? :blob_evil_two: Very suspicious. You told me it's the only one you've ever read!

Were you... *gasp*... lying? And you are actually an avid BL-reader? :blob_blank:

Assurbanipal_II

Also, are you sure you are an authority on recommending unconventional BLs? :blob_evil_two: Very suspicious. You told me it's the only one you've ever read!

Were you... *gasp*... lying? And you are actually an avid BL-reader? :blob_blank:

I found your attempt improvable. Too timid, not enough confidence. I see no shame in promoting your work further when it deserves such.

bafflinghaze

awww, thanks for the kind words, @Moonpearl and @Queenfisher !!! :blob_aww:

Unfortunately, I haven't read that much BL on Scribblehub yet to confidently give the recommendations you're asking for, so I'll keep an eye on this thread 👀

Assurbanipal_II

I am not an avid BL reader, but your story is good and you fit the bill. Ergo, promote.

Queenfisher

Bird?
awww, thanks for the kind words, @Moonpearl and @Queenfisher !!! :blob_aww:

Unfortunately, I haven't read that much BL on Scribblehub yet to confidently give the recommendations you're asking for, so I'll keep an eye on this thread 👀

It has nothing to do with confidence! Just spread the word! We, BL-writers and readers cannot benefit from Trending as @yansusustories and I have talked about already in this thread.

So this topic right here is the closest version of our own very special Trending system we can get, really...

We should summon here all the BL-writers on the site like I always wanted to *_*.

I am not an avid BL reader, but your story is good and you fit the bill. Ergo, promote.

:blob_reach: thank you, Evil Princess...

TLCsDestiny

Box Shaped Heart is interesting plainly because of the male lead character.
I am even considering reading it a third time lol.
Read the synopsis from the link.

bafflinghaze

It has nothing to do with confidence! Just spread the word! We, BL-writers and readers cannot benefit from Trending as @yansusustories and I have talked about already in this thread.
:sweating_profusely: it's more like all the unconventional BL that I've actually read are found on tapas or AO3 (and let me tell you that AO3 has a *lot* of original M/M smut with trans male characters, including where the transguy tops 🙈)

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress

Can I ask some questions about this?

When you say ace/aro, do you mean that the character feels absolutely no sexual or romantic attraction? And is this therefore a queerplatonic relationship, rather than a romantic one?

Also, this line: "if consent is even a thing when you're a doll that everyone can mold/fix into something "better" that they want to see."
What do you mean by this? Sorry, pretty much all of my friends and several of my family members are on the spectrum, but I've never heard of this particular concept before. Is this a thing for some people?

Do you have any particular recommendations from this collection? There are quite a number of entries.

I've been kind of on the fence about this one. On one hand, it's by an author that I trust to be good but, on the other hand, the synopsis sounds a little too conventional for me.

It has a "Straight uke" tag, so I'm gonna give this a hard pass.

So this topic right here is the closest version of our own very special Trending system we can get, really...

We should summon here all the BL-writers on the site like I always wanted to *_*.
So long as they honestly only recommend truly unconventional BL~!

Box Shaped Heart is interesting plainly because of the male lead character.
I am even considering reading it a third time lol.
Read the synopsis from the link.
I read it. That's why I said that he sounds insufferable. I'm asking if you have any more information to say that he isn't?

:sweating_profusely: it's more like all the unconventional BL that I've actually read are found on tapas or AO3 (and let me tell you that AO3 has a *lot* of original M/M smut with trans male characters, including where the transguy tops 🙈)
Ah, I keep forgetting that AO3 does originals now... I should really deep-dive into that place.

But the tagging and search system kills my soul...

bafflinghaze

I've been kind of on the fence about this one. On one hand, it's by an author that I trust to be good but, on the other hand, the synopsis sounds a little too conventional for me.
I agree that matcha & milk is actually conventional, follows M/M fanfic tropes a lot, when I was writing it, I was thinking about food, not story lol.

Ah, I keep forgetting that AO3 does originals now... I should really deep-dive into that place.

But the tagging and search system kills my soul...
Hahaha, I LOVE AO3 tagging and search system, no other site comes *close* to how good it is. This is all the original M/M on AO3 with trans male characters, in English (for example). The search side bar has really improved a lot, but there are more tricks you can use to narrow your search down even more.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Hahaha, I LOVE AO3 tagging and search system, no other site comes *close* to how good it is. This is all the original M/M on AO3 with trans male characters, in English (for example). The search side bar has really improved a lot, but there are more tricks you can use to narrow your search down even more.
:blob_aww: Many thanks for the link~! My reading list has expanded far more than I could ever have hoped.

As for the tagging system... I really don't get it. I went back not long ago to find Promare fanfiction, but I tend to either end up with way more than I could possibly want or else way less than I know they have. It's frustrating to the max for me.

Queenfisher

Bird?
Can I ask some questions about this?

When you say ace/aro, do you mean that the character feels absolutely no sexual or romantic attraction? And is this therefore a queerplatonic relationship, rather than a romantic one?

Also, this line: "if consent is even a thing when you're a doll that everyone can mold/fix into something "better" that they want to see."
What do you mean by this? Sorry, pretty much all of my friends and several of my family members are on the spectrum, but I've never heard of this particular concept before. Is this a thing for some people?

Mmmm, he is literally a lifelike doll (after reincarnation). Like a mannequin or a robot. It's not an LGBTQ+ concept! (Gods, I hope not!)

I write speculative fiction to explore issues I can't do anywhere else.

So the story is a fantasy where the doll's creator can order it to "feel" or "change" however he wants it to, plus the doll can be modified physically since it is... after all, an object made of malleable material. E.g. their creators can "order" the doll to be happy and to fall in love, or to forget such an order had ever been given, thus truly making a perfect individual who lives a 100% fulfilled life. This never actually happens to the MC in the story, but the iffy questions about consent, free will, and influence and manipulation by others (or by society) is what I try to explore here. Thus, the story symbolically talks about ~all interpersonal relationships that try to change individuals in order to "help them be their best selves" and what power dynamics go into that.

The MC feels no sexual/romantic attraction at all. He does want to explore what a romantic relationship entails, but it's all based on the cultural stereotypes about what "romance" even is . While he tries to conform, the ML's whole arc is to essentially prove to him he doesn't need to. Each wants to give the other what they think the other wants from the relationship, and from that stems their "romantic conflict".

I would struggle to call it 100% queerplatonic because the MC does pursue what he thinks the "normal romance" demands (they do have sex on a couple occasions both in his real body and in the doll because, while MC does not feel the urge, he can do it if he chooses to. Plus biologically, his body can have reactions. It's exploratory for him rather than sexual, though).

From inside the MC's POV, it is 100% queerplatonic since he rarely thinks about the ML as anything other than "my best friend", which is, apparently, very confusing to my readers :blob_sweat:.

Do you have any particular recommendations from this collection? There are quite a number of entries.

Brother, Whisper in the Night, Make it Legal since they are, after all, short stories. The first is about two manly guys struggling with intimacy during the war, the second is... spoiler but the dynamic is essentially too shy to even call anyone out of the two as feminine/masculine, or top/bottom. It's about individuals rather than their dynamic. The third is a story of heartbreak and choosing loyalty that is not romantic which I think is super nonconventional because these people just decide not to be together even though they can't bear to part.

Judging by what you described in the OP, they would fit the bill since you want something refreshing from the usual tropes and "Just Hold My Hand" by the same author fulfills your demands? These stories are mainly focused on situations/premises rather than the gay types of the people in these situations.

Unsure what conventional would mean in that sense. Both guys are equally "feminine" and cute (?), or "masculine" and reserved (?), depending on the situation. That one of them cooks while the other writes sappy (^^) romance songs is merely a background. Though I agree with the author. It's ALL about food and desserts and a lot of durian-advertising! The guys are secondary :blob_teehee: