Recommendations Unconventional BL

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Mmmm, he is literally a lifelike doll (after reincarnation). Like a mannequin or a robot. It's not an LGBTQ+ concept! (Gods, I hope not!)
Oh, I actually meant the Autism Spectrum, not the ace or aro spectrum. My friends and family members are on the Autism Spectrum.

I guess if your character is literally a doll, though, that doesn't matter?
I write speculative fiction to explore issues I can't do anywhere else.

So the story is a fantasy where the doll's creator can order it to "feel" or "change" however he wants it to, plus the doll can be modified physically since it is... after all, an object made of malleable material. E.g. their creators can "order" the doll to be happy and to fall in love, or to forget such an order had ever been given, thus truly making a perfect individual who lives a 100% fulfilled life. This never actually happens to the MC in the story, but the iffy questions about consent, free will, and influence and manipulation by others (or by society) is what I try to explore here. Thus, the story symbolically talks about ~all interpersonal relationships that try to change individuals in order to "help them be their best selves" and what power dynamics go into that.

The MC feels no sexual/romantic attraction at all. He does want to explore what a romantic relationship entails, but it's all based on the cultural stereotypes about what "romance" even is . While he tries to conform, the ML's whole arc is to essentially prove to him he doesn't need to. Each wants to give the other what they think the other wants from the relationship, and from that stems their "romantic conflict".

I would struggle to call it 100% queerplatonic because the MC does pursue what he thinks the "normal romance" demands (they do have sex on a couple occasions both in his real body and in the doll because, while MC does not feel the urge, he can do it if he chooses to. Plus biologically, his body can have reactions. It's exploratory for him rather than sexual, though).

From inside the MC's POV, it is 100% queerplatonic since he rarely thinks about the ML as anything other than "my best friend", which is, apparently, very confusing to my readers :blob_sweat:.

Oh, me too~! I really like exploring non-human perspectives and what it means to be a person, and things like that.

Based on what you've said, I'll probably read this for the story itself, but not for the BL.
Brother, Whisper in the Night, Make it Legal since they are, after all, short stories. The first is about two manly guys struggling with intimacy during the war, the second is... spoiler but the dynamic is essentially too shy to even call anyone out of the two as feminine/masculine, or top/bottom. It's about individuals rather than their dynamic. The third is a story of heartbreak and choosing loyalty that is not romantic which I think is super nonconventional because these people just decide not to be together even though they can't bear to part.
Ooh, they do sound good~! I'll give the last one a miss, though, because it sounds like it wants to break my heart. Tragedy and I don't get along (unless I'm the one writing it).
Unsure what conventional would mean in that sense. Both guys are equally "feminine" and cute (?), or "masculine" and reserved (?), depending on the situation. That one of them cooks while the other writes sappy (^^) romance songs is merely a background. Though I agree with the author. It's ALL about food and desserts and a lot of durian-advertising! The guys are secondary :blob_teehee:
I mean that it doesn't seem to offer too much out of the ordinary. It looks like it will be a cute and fluffy relationship but, even if it's more equal than others, it probably won't deviate much from the fluff I've binged on before.

If the relationship broke even more conventions, I would be open to trying it, but it's otherwise too much like normal BL to keep my attention.

I will read it if I get in the mood for more traditional BL, though, which happens from time to time.

TLCsDestiny

Not really, it's just a book. If you've read it, you've read it. I don't like putting books into categories, simply because the writers are different. It's just like a show that was done by china and Korea, same type of synopsis but there were differences. So, to me, it's a good book because I was absorbed in it and enjoyed it, that's all.
There's more bl manga and books elsewhere, like wattpad or the sister site. If you've read those as well then there's not much more I can help you with...
I wouldn't recommend mine because it seems you are looking for something more specific and I don't think my books are what you are looking for.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Not really, it's just a book. If you've read it, you've read it. I don't like putting books into categories, simply because the writers are different. It's just like a show that was done by china and Korea, same type of synopsis but there were differences. So, to me, it's a good book because I was absorbed in it and enjoyed it, that's all.
There's more bl manga and books elsewhere, like wattpad or the sister site. If you've read those as well then there's not much more I can help you with...
I wouldn't recommend mine because it seems you are looking for something more specific and I don't think my books are what you are looking for.
I mean... I would expect a fan to be able to talk about those differences in order to express those good points to others. That's why people ask for recommendations in the first place, right?
It's not about categorising, it's about describing and sharing information about novels that might not be obvious just from looking over the blurb and cover.

Anyway, it looks like a story I wouldn't like from the synopsis and cover and, for lack of any other volunteered information, I'll give it a miss.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
:blob_hmm::blob_hmm::blob_hmm:
Judging by my tastes, you might not find anything you like from me, but oh well

Apathetic Boyfriends
(Thought it was cute, but my standards are all over the place so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

And you might have seen this one, but
Mr Melancholy Wants to Live a Peaceful Life
(Not so much focused on the BL aspect, but I thought the relationship was cute and the side characters are funny :blob_cookie: It's nearly finished and the translation speed is godly.)

I was nearly about to post when I remembered one:
Global University Entrance Examination
(Again, the BL aspect is kinda "of less importance" but certainly there. Haven't finished it, but I thought it was really cute, especially because everyone else thinks they hate each other to shreds. The manhua only has a few chapters, but the CN is completely translated.)

crimson_carnation

:blob_hide: Would it be too bold of me if I mentioned some of my own? All of them feature healthy couples with more or less equal dynamics~

In which neither the MC nor ML is remarkably feminine and there's no set top or bottom. It's a completed short story with my attempt at a mild mystery :blob_evil_two:

Where the MC is already in love with the ML and the ML slowly thaws over the course of the story. Again, I don't think either of them is particularly feminine. It's another completed short story, with a definite HEA~ :blob_uwu:

I don't know if I can say the MC is completely non-feminine, but he's certainly assertive in his own way. Another completed story. It has some adventure, a few quirky side couples, a little psychological exploration, and a lot of fluff~ ...If you can get past my initial fumbling at storytelling, that is :blob_sweat:

It's currently ongoing. The ML is a mild-mannered general and the MC is a sickly and sneaky court official who's deeply in love with him and loves taking care of him~ :blob_melt:

I'll also recommend @verielle.crest 's story:
It's a very quick read and funny, and neither of them is feminine~

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Tragedy and I don't get along (unless I'm the one writing it)
Do not under any circumstances read 'Whisper in the Night'. I repeat: Do not read it! It's even more of a tragedy than the other one :blob_sweat: If you think the idea of 'Make It Legal' is interesting though, maybe 'Safe Haven' would be an alternative. It's also about conflicting loyalties but doesn't necessarily have a bad ending. It's kinda open-ended though so not sure if you'd like it. As @Queenfisher said, they're all short stories. Wordcount-wise, I'd say they're at most half of the length of 'Just Hold My Hand' just so you know what you get into. They're more glimpses at the life of couples than anything else.
I actually think the most interesting story for what you're searching for would be '25 years' but that's in the second half of the collection so unfortunately not on SH yet :blob_pout: It's a slightly comedic story about an elderly couple which is something I feel we see way too few of in the genre.

In regard to your original question, I was thinking of recommending @crimson_carnation's stuff but I see she was earlier than me :blob_sweat: I think I'd especially want to mention how 'Heavenly Soul' has several couples that have different dynamics so even if one couple isn't your cup of tea, the others might be.
I also really, really liked the premise of 'Melting Frost' so that one definitely gets my recommendation as well. At first glance, it might seem like it's the typical cold ML spiel but, in fact, I'd say it's rather reversing some tropes, making it really surprising.
Also, I really like her writing style so it's worth a look just for that :blob_melt:

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
:blob_hmm::blob_hmm::blob_hmm:
Judging by my tastes, you might not find anything you like from me, but oh well

Apathetic Boyfriends
(Thought it was cute, but my standards are all over the place so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

And you might have seen this one, but
Mr Melancholy Wants to Live a Peaceful Life
(Not so much focused on the BL aspect, but I thought the relationship was cute and the side characters are funny :blob_cookie: It's nearly finished and the translation speed is godly.)

I was nearly about to post when I remembered one:
Global University Entrance Examination
(Again, the BL aspect is kinda "of less importance" but certainly there. Haven't finished it, but I thought it was really cute, especially because everyone else thinks they hate each other to shreds. The manhua only has a few chapters, but the CN is completely translated.)
Sorry, but I only want recommendations for BL that are here on Scribble Hub. (The earlier AO3 link being my one exception, since I've been searching for trans BL for way too long.)

I kind of knew that people would throw links to translated novels here but, since I'd go to NUF if I wanted those, I specifically requested only SH novels.
:blob_hide: Would it be too bold of me if I mentioned some of my own? All of them feature healthy couples with more or less equal dynamics~

In which neither the MC nor ML is remarkably feminine and there's no set top or bottom. It's a completed short story with my attempt at a mild mystery :blob_evil_two:

Where the MC is already in love with the ML and the ML slowly thaws over the course of the story. Again, I don't think either of them is particularly feminine. It's another completed short story, with a definite HEA~ :blob_uwu:

I don't know if I can say the MC is completely non-feminine, but he's certainly assertive in his own way. Another completed story. It has some adventure, a few quirky side couples, a little psychological exploration, and a lot of fluff~ ...If you can get past my initial fumbling at storytelling, that is :blob_sweat:

It's currently ongoing. The ML is a mild-mannered general and the MC is a sickly and sneaky court official who's deeply in love with him and loves taking care of him~ :blob_melt:

I'll also recommend @verielle.crest 's story:
It's a very quick read and funny, and neither of them is feminine~
I've actually bookmarked your BL to slowly work my way through already. I've already finished "Melting Frost", and I've been meaning to rate and review it when I get the time. (I'll probably give "Heavenly Soul" a miss, since I think I've had my fill of cultivation adventure BL.)

I really liked the dynamic for "Melting Frost" at the beginning, actually. Human/non-human relationships are my favourite, and Yin Xue kind of reminded me a little of Sesshomaru from "Inuyasha". The early chapters felt a bit like Sesshomaru x Rin to me, but without the squick.
Unfortunately, for me, I feel like it dived back into being pretty conventional once the romance was triggered by
Yin Xue realising Ming Quan liked him and deciding to pursue him.
I still enjoyed it and recommend it to people, but this shift in dynamics is why I didn't list it as an example here.

(And I've added the Medieval BL to my list~! It looks intriguing.)

Do not under any circumstances read 'Whisper in the Night'. I repeat: Do not read it! It's even more of a tragedy than the other one :blob_sweat: If you think the idea of 'Make It Legal' is interesting though, maybe 'Safe Haven' would be an alternative. It's also about conflicting loyalties but doesn't necessarily have a bad ending. It's kinda open-ended though so not sure if you'd like it. As @Queenfisher said, they're all short stories. Wordcount-wise, I'd say they're at most half of the length of 'Just Hold My Hand' just so you know what you get into. They're more glimpses at the life of couples than anything else.
I actually think the most interesting story for what you're searching for would be '25 years' but that's in the second half of the collection so unfortunately not on SH yet :blob_pout: It's a slightly comedic story about an elderly couple which is something I feel we see way too few of in the genre.
Oof... Thanks for the heads up. I'll check that one out instead.

Last edited:

crimson_carnation

In regard to your original question, I was thinking of recommending @crimson_carnation's stuff but I see she was earlier than me :blob_sweat: I think I'd especially want to mention how 'Heavenly Soul' has several couples that have different dynamics so even if one couple isn't your cup of tea, the others might be.
I also really, really liked the premise of 'Melting Frost' so that one definitely gets my recommendation as well. At first glance, it might seem like it's the typical cold ML spiel but, in fact, I'd say it's rather reversing some tropes, making it really surprising.
Also, I really like her writing style so it's worth a look just for that :blob_melt:
Aww~ *hugs* :blob_reach:

I've actually bookmarked your BL to slowly work my way through already. I've already finished "Melting Frost", and I've been meaning to rate and review it when I get the time. (I'll probably give "Heavenly Soul" a miss, since I think I've had my fill of cultivation adventure BL.)
Then yay! I'll look forward to your feedback whenever you have the time for it~ :blob_aww: Adventure is only the background in Heavenly Soul, but I understand being fed up with a particular genre, especially something like cultivation that's overdone to death :sweat_smile:

I really liked the dynamic for "Melting Frost" at the beginning, actually. Human/non-human relationships are my favourite, and Yin Xue kind of reminded me a little of Sesshomaru from "Inuyasha". The early chapters felt a bit like Sesshomaru x Rin to me, but without the squick.
Unfortunately, for me, I feel like it dived back into being pretty conventional once the romance was triggered by
Yin Xue realising Ming Quan liked him and deciding to pursue him.
I still enjoyed it and recommend it to people, but this shift in dynamics is why I didn't list it as an example here.
I haven't thought about it that way, but you're right :blob_hmm_two: And it's been ages since I heard Inuyasha mentioned. How nostalgic~ :blob_melt: I vaguely remember Sesshomaru but I draw a blank with Rin :blob_hmm:

And I've added the Medieval BL to my list~! It looks intriguing.
I hope you'll enjoy it! :blob_salute:

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I haven't thought about it that way, but you're right :blob_hmm_two: And it's been ages since I heard Inuyasha mentioned. How nostalgic~ :blob_melt: I vaguely remember Sesshomaru but I draw a blank with Rin :blob_hmm:
It's that little black-haired girl he kinda ... adopted? I think I remember she had a small gap between her front teeth and always skipped behind him. She was kinda cute :blob_melt: And I very vaguely remember she died once and came back to life or something? :blob_hmm_two:
Yup~! Rin was a little orphan whose paents were killed by bandits, so she was afraid of humans. She tried to help Sesshomaru when he was hurt after his battle with Inuyasha, and she died alongside the village she was staying in when it was attacked by wolf demons. He used his sword to bring her back and let her follow him around.

Rin always adored Sesshomaru, and Sesshomaru always adored her too, but he didn't stop being his cold and proud self, so you got that mostly through little subtle things. He was always very tolerant and protective of her, usually indulged her, and totally lost it every time she was hurt.

These are the only two videos that I can really find demonstrating their dynamic:

The reason Yin Xue and Ming Quan remind me of those two in the beginning is because Yin Xue is so aloof and detached, and he tends to show concern silently through his actions.

Last edited:

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
Sorry, but I only want recommendations for BL that are here on Scribble Hub. (The earlier AO3 link being my one exception, since I've been searching for trans BL for way too long.)
Oops my fault for not listening to instructions :blob_no:
Hope you find what you're looking for!

Queenfisher

Bird?
Oh, me too~! I really like exploring non-human perspectives and what it means to be a person, and things like that.

Based on what you've said, I'll probably read this for the story itself, but not for the BL.

^^ Thanks!

This is kind of what I wanted my audience to come to my book for, in the first place. Not so much for BL as for the rest of it, :blob_aww:

Do not under any circumstances read 'Whisper in the Night'. I repeat: Do not read it! It's even more of a tragedy than the other one :blob_sweat: If you think the idea of 'Make It Legal' is interesting though, maybe 'Safe Haven' would be an alternative.

Lol, I wanted to comment just on that -- but you came in before me! Sorry I almost broke someone's heart on accident! :sweat_smile:

And also,

I wanted to mention this as well because I am anticipating this short story so much myself, ah! :blob_aww:

@crimson_carnation 's stories have always tempted me! I really need to start reading them because they sound amazing ^^.

And, @Maple-Leaf ... just write your own BL on SH and share it here with everyone. Duh ^^.

crimson_carnation

It's that little black-haired girl he kinda ... adopted? I think I remember she had a small gap between her front teeth and always skipped behind him. She was kinda cute :blob_melt: And I very vaguely remember she died once and came back to life or something? :blob_hmm_two:
I think I vaguely remember something...which is already great considering how my memory is :blob_blank:

Yup~! Rin was a little orphan whose paents were killed by bandits, so she was afraid of humans. She tried to help Sesshomaru when he was hurt after his battle with Inuyasha, and she died alongside the village she was staying in when it was attacked by wolf demons. He used his sword to bring her back and let her follow him around.

Rin always adored Sesshomaru, and Sesshomaru always adored her too, but he didn't stop being his cold and proud self, so you got that mostly through little subtle things. He was always very tolerant and protective of her, usually indulged her, and totally lost it every time she was hurt.

These are the only two videos that I can really find demonstrating their dynamic:

The reason Yin Xue and Ming Quan remind me of those two in the beginning is because Yin Xue is so aloof and detached, and he tends to show concern silently through his actions.
Ah, that girl! I remember seeing her. I think I remember her now~ :blob_cookie:
And you're right, the dynamic at the beginning is pretty similar, though I'd say Yin Xue was driven by obligation more than anything at that time.

@crimson_carnation 's stories have always tempted me! I really need to start reading them because they sound amazing ^^.
You say that while tempting me with your story :blob_pout: I'm so weak for mysteries~

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I want to, someday! |`・ω・ )9
But it won't be unconventional in the slightest, just some cliche fluff probably.
Well then keep to the cliche but switch up the surface. Instead of lousy humans do a tentacle hentai monster BL, where them octopus get sick of molesting women and instead yearn to molest each other instead.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
Well then keep to the cliche but switch up the surface. Instead of lousy humans do a tentacle hentai monster BL, where them octopus get sick of molesting women and instead yearn to molest each other instead.
Humans are lame, go for hentai octopuses instead? Got it.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I usually love reading clever and weak to strong protagonist... And I am writing one story with a fairly strong mc... Although it would be filled with initial angst and the mc would be pretty tragic and annoying in the start as he needs to realise few things before he can become op. And the bottom? Is the pursuer here... He's a power bottom of it makes sense. So if it's something that you would like then you are welcome! How to set up the ex-husband and save the in-laws? I know, the title is tacky... :]
From the description, this looks like another one of those novels where the MC is forced into a feminine "wife" role?

Unfortunately, this is exactly what I didn't want...

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Hmm... Not forced but you can say that the mc is willing to be anything but soon realises that well... He can't be the 'wife'. And I am using wife as a general unisex term here. As in my novel universe marriage is a power move. An exchange of convenience. Still, I am guilty of some rotten troupes. Dogblood and what not. 😅😅😅
Sorry, it's not what I'm asking for in this thread. I'm happy for authors to recommend their own novels here, but only if it really fits what was requested.

There will be plenty of readers who enjoy your more conventional BL, but this thread isn't the right place for it.

Good luck nonetheless.

lilGoat

I have been reading BL for a very, very long time (possibly since before I was 10...) and I've become honestly bored out of my skull of the usually very samesy tropes and relationship dynamics used by the genre.
I've had enough of having a seme and uke just because "that's how it's done", I've had enough of fighting over sex, I've had enough of one partner always being sly and dominant while the other is blushy and "pure", and I've had enough of the same damn jokes in every goddamn novel.
I don't mind men being feminine, but only if they're actually a character, rather than a cardboard cutout to fill the submissive role. (Also, why do all the feminine men have to be hardcore bottoms?)

Frankly, I write enough BL games with my friend that I don't have to settle for whatever happens to be published, so I often don't. I'll pretty much only take a chance on a BL if I trust it to offer me something new.

But I'm in a BL-reading mood and I could take a couple more to digest if they're available.

The BL that I've absolutely loved on this site has been:
"Fire Burning" by bafflinghaze - This is the only original BL I've ever found with a trans character, and it's an excellent story that gives its characters their own personalities and doesn't fall back on lazy BL tropes.

"Klue & Berry" by ars - Monster x human. The MC is a cunning merchant who's still well-meaning, and the monster is shy and wary about interacting. Also, the MC pursues the monster.

"Just Hold My Hand" by yansusustories - A nice, sweet short story with an asexual love interest.

If anyone knows any other refreshing and original BL on Scribble Hub, please recommend them to me~!
I think you might enjoy my story, I've started writing it also due to my distaste for a lot of the tropes in this genre.
It's a heavy historical fantasy with elements of horror. The story is set in a Theocracy and the relationship is very slow burn. There are currently 11 chapters available on ScribbleHub although a lot more had already been written, as I made sure to accumulate some chapters to allow me to publish regularly.
Hope you enjoy: