Weaponizing gods and religion

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
So... the chinese are great at it, considering their entire pantheon are filled with bloodthirsty monkey, dude with a third eye, rollabladez and rando deities that I can't name to save my life.

Oh and Pangu and his stupid universe splitting axe.

And it is also the chinese who weaponize Baby Jesus by turning him into a super move in one of those chinese (CN) xuanhuan.

The chinese are great at bombastic words.

Then comes Norse Thor, Greek Zeus and *insert random popular pantheon* .

The egyptian gods aren't really popular to get weaponized... I always see is Anubis this Jackel that. If you want a Grim Reaper Expy, the doghead is your guy.

Then there is Shiva and three headed and six arms...

Is there any other gods/ pantheons for epic god fight?

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
I don't have attack moves named after gods, but I certainly have weapons designed to kill gods in my story.

My favorite weapon, also the main weapon of my MC. Fallen Starlight - the God Slayer made to bring down God - made from the Garment of Adam and Eve, it can oneshot anything, especially aliens and deities. Inspired by a gun that weaponized racism from a dnd game I once join.

KrakenRiderEmma

Also, I though Ba'al's a demon?
Ba'al was a god first, starting 3000-5000 years ago. Then when monotheism got big in that area, the "you can only have one god" religions (Judaism, later Christianity, etc) started calling Ba'al and other gods false gods. Then eventually they became known as demons. Happened to a number of deities in that area, they got "demonized." In fact, even the word "demon" used to just mean "lesser god."

(This is a significant theme in some of my series, below.)

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
*Eating popcorn and watching threads*

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
A small summary
8EA199BC-C21A-4AAA-9588-488DAE6C44D6.jpeg

TotallyHuman

Ba'al was a god first, starting 3000-5000 years ago. Then when monotheism got big in that area, the "you can only have one god" religions (Judaism, later Christianity, etc) started calling Ba'al and other gods false gods. Then eventually they became known as demons. Happened to a number of deities in that area, they got "demonized." In fact, even the word "demon" used to just mean "lesser god."

and in Hagakure Sakura doesn't lament too!
I don't have attack moves named after gods, but I certainly have weapons designed to kill gods in my story.

My favorite weapon, also the main weapon of my MC. Fallen Starlight - the God Slayer made to bring down God - made from the Garment of Adam and Eve, it can oneshot anything, especially aliens and deities. Inspired by a gun that weaponized racism from a dnd game I once join.
oh, the time-honered japanese tradition of weaponising pantsu

CheertheSecond

Oh and Pangu and his stupid universe splitting axe

Not sure how this is even considered a major feat. Back in the age of Pangu, the heaven and earth were mass of settled yang and yin. The entire universe at that time is no where near as big as it was today if not microscopic in comparison to the universe after being separated by Pangu. It was due to Pangu holding heaven and pushing against the earth that they started getting separated. The entire process took thousands of years which according to one myth, the heaven got higher by 10 feet and the earth 10 feet thicker, and Pangu grew 10 feet taller per day. In short, the entire universe's diameter increased in size by a total of 30 feet per day.

We got very similar feat such as Shu/Atum/Ra (depending on the myth) separated Geb the Earth god and Nut the Sky lady so that they can not intercourse.

Or in Greek Myth, Atlas held the celestial spheres (which are motions of the celestial bodies) on his back.

ACertainPassingUser

As long you avoid fantasizing and making fun of Abrahamic religions God (especially Judaism, Christianity, and Islamic), you're going to be safe.

Those three religion is the biggest conflict starter in the stage of international racism, as they're the current active religion Internationally within English readers (Other than LGBT and Atheism).

But if you want to play with the hottest fire possible, go for it. The flame will be so hot that it could incur the wrath of the Great Lord Moderator as they would have to take direct action and shut down your story for good.

We're not like those Chinese/Japanese who could get away with those stunt due to cultural, language barrier, and Kanji/Hanzi letter barrier.

Last edited:

CheertheSecond

Indeed. The noteworthy part is that this was not just an Abrahamic religion only's thing.

The same stuff happened in Shinto myth and Hindu myth. The asuras in Hindu myth was gods from lesser known origin which were incorporated into the myth by the sects that worshipped the Devas. Asuras were also once considered gods of lesser degrees instead of a race of demons.

Meanwhile in Shinto, there was the subjugation of Izumo. This is basically the celestial Kami (governed by Amaterasu) descended on Earth and demanded all the national Kami (deities of different cults and regions throughout Japan) to relinquish their authority to the celestial Kami. The celestial Kami that led this subjugation quest was Takemikazuchi (Suppressor of Earthquake, god of sword, god of thunder, progenitor of sumo). Any national Kami that refused the request was promptly dispatched by Takemikazuchi (including the August Star of Heaven, Amatsu-Mikaboshi who was either the last or one of the last to resist). Ōkuninushi, master of the land, the national deity that was most respected at that time agreed to the demand of the celestial Kami. However, he wanted to respect his sons' opinions so he said if both of them agreed, he would follow. The one of them gave up but the other, Takeminakata, refused and challenged Takemikazuchi who ripped out both arms of his opponent in what was considered one of the earliest sumo match. Since both of his sons had submitted, Okuninushi relinquished the land and the subjugation ended.

In Norse myth, the war was between the Aesir gods (Odin's group) and the Vanir gods (Freya's group). It ended with the Vanir seemingly sued for peace and both group exchanged political marriages. The Vanir was speculated to be local gods of places that Vikings had invaded.

Last edited:

bulmabriefs144

Actually, demon means "spirit". It's the same concept as a djinn.

It was only centuries post-Christianity that the idea of demon became exclusively associated with evil.

But beyond monotheism, there was a very big reason why Baal and Moloch were considered false gods. These were often blood sacrifice systems, which meant a lot of abortions, wrist slitting, etc in order to ensure a good harvest. We don't do that sort of thing today.

It's about 10 to 0 against the Egyptians, and 3 to 0 against Baal. Before the fire miracle, they caused a drought (for three years). So the fire, the rain, and the drought were three separate miracles, while the plagues were 10 whole miracles.

KrakenRiderEmma

As long you avoid fantasizing and making fun of Abrahamic religions God (especially Judaism, Christianity, and Islamic), you're going to be safe.

Those three religion is the biggest conflict starter in the stage of international racism, as they're the current popular religion Internationally English readers (Other than LGBT and Atheism, that is).

But if you want to play with the hottest fire possible, go for it. The flame will be so hot that it could incur the wrath of the Great Majestic Moderator as they would have to take direct action and shut down your story for good.

We're not like those Chinese/Japanese who could get away with those stunt due to cultural, language barrier, and Kanji/Hanzi letter barrier.
You mostly have to know where to draw the line with modern-day religions. Faith Fighter got its internet hosting removed because Muslim organizations protested that having gods and prophets fight each other was inciting intolerance. And it's probably against a lot of site policies to depict people or priests who follow current religions as all evil or sick or whatever, especially because this can overlap with racism.

On the other hand, Preacher was a pretty popular comic for many years and involves a priest who hires the Saint of Killers to kill God, and he does. The director of Robocop, Total Recall, Starship Troopers, etc. recently did a movie about lesbian nuns getting erotic visions from God and having sex in convents (based on a true story) and about a dozen Catholics showed up to protest it.

The big villains in my main series are Church higher-ups who are actively doing evil hypocritical things and it's #1 for Priests in this site, but the Catholic Church is also an easy target, because government investigators and the Vatican itself has found that thousands of priests have abused thousands of kids, etc. No more moral high ground there.

CheertheSecond

I always see is Anubis this Jackel that. If you want a Grim Reaper Expy, the doghead is your guy.
This is the thing that makes me laugh the most when it came to pop culture.

Anubis is not frequently described as a warrior in the myth. He was more of a minister.

Thanatos the literally embodiment of peaceful death who was just a guy who guides the soul was made into grim-face reaper.

Azrael, the angel of death, who was only described as being tasked with recording the name of the born and crossing out the name of the those who died, was shown with a scythe by his side while his scroll was entirely missing.