Western Setting in all Stories

ForestDweller

From what I gather, there is a large chunk of the SH community not from USA, Europe or Japan.
But its stunningly rare to see any story that is not in a western setting. There is the occasional Chinese reference here and there, but I have never read a story that's based in Indonesia, Qatar, Ethiopia or Nigeria.

So, this is something I want to ask all the non-native English speaking authors. Why not try to write stories about your culture? It would be a refreshing new take on even exiting genres. How a character survives a zombie apocalypse in the middle of Hanoi, or when the system arrives while the MC is trekking in Bohol.

I have asked some authors about this, and they have occasionally said the reason for their reluctance to base their stories in their country is the fear that the readers won't relate. On that note, I have my second question: would you read a story not based in the western setting (including things like their aristocratic ranking)?

Because I want to write about European-ish fantasy setting. I'm not interested in my own culture.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
From what I gather, there is a large chunk of the SH community not from USA, Europe or Japan.
So, this is something I want to ask all the non-native English speaking authors.
:blob_hmm_two: So do I answer or do I not answer? :blob_joy:

I'm a non-native English-speaking author who happens to be from Europe (yes, not all European countries have English as their official language :blob_teehee:) but I haven't really written anything that's directly set in my country. I have written some generic middle-ages fantasy stories and a mixture of other more or less fantasy-settings that are inspired by other places (different penname though and not even on SH right now although that might change in the future) but on here, I'm normally sticking to those generic Chinese settings. Why? Because I actually felt that's what people are searching for on here considering that this site came from NU which is for translations of Asian stories after all :blob_sweat:
There's only one of my novels on here that is slightly branching out into fantasy-territory again with one of the main characters being decidedly not inspired by anything Chinese or European.

As for why I'm not setting anything in my actual country, I guess it's because I feel that it would be boring. Not so much story-wise but more for me as the one creating them. Part of what's interesting for me in writing is learning about new things and having to do with ideas that are not what I can see when I leave the door or watch the local news. Writing anything set in my own country defeats that point a bit. Also, I'm not really one for historical novels (don't really read them either) so going into the past of my country wouldn't be as much fun to me either.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
But its stunningly rare to see any story that is not in a western setting. There is the occasional Chinese reference here and there, but I have never read a story that's based in Indonesia, Qatar, Ethiopia or Nigeria.

So, this is something I want to ask all the non-native English speaking authors. Why not try to write stories about your culture? It would be a refreshing new take on even exiting genres. How a character survives a zombie apocalypse in the middle of Hanoi, or when the system arrives while the MC is trekking in Bohol.

I have asked some authors about this, and they have occasionally said the reason for their reluctance to base their stories in their country is the fear that the readers won't relate. On that note, I have my second question: would you read a story not based in the western setting (including things like their aristocratic ranking)?
now, I'm an American, but imma stick my two cents into it. My stories? Either mainly in another world setting, or in an alternate world setting.

The reasons are several, but mainly? i don't know enough about my own country to base my story in it, in terms of location. Like i don't know any of the streets in New York or anything like that. I can look it up, but that would take extensive research to really get everything right since it would have to have more than just a street name to give you an idea of the place the story is being held in. I can make shit up, certainly, but eh...i feel that's lazy and it is and i can do that but i don't wanna. I only have one story where i make up locations and that's it.

Another reason is cuz there's more freedom in making alternate worlds that's like earth but different in whatever way i want. Or to make a whole new world from scratch.

Relatability is part of it too like you said, but that's likely just because people dont know these places that well. in our community, you probably know more about places in Japan, China or Korea than any place in Europe or India. So if you make a story based in these little-known regions, then yeah, might confuse some people. You almost certainly know that people in the community know about Asian countries since places like NU and Wuxiaworld have made stories that settings based in Asian countries very popular, like wuxia stories or school life stories in Japanese works. But unless you live in places like India or Europe you wont know much about them and cant be sure how much your readers will know about them.

So, in short, the safe option is to just either write about more popular, well known locations, make up your own locations, or create your own world/alternate earth.

Me, i have an alternate earth novel where Abe Lincoln is a badass sword-wielding, vampire-slaying Heroic Spirit. Tho i haven't gotten around to explaining the latter half of that description so that's a spoiler lol. But yeah. See ? You can have a lotta fun with alternate worlds.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Been there, done that. But then, my country is part Europe and part Asia, so it still counts as western.

Why not? I read something inspired by 1001 nights before and didn't regret it. As long as the plot is decent, the setting won't be going to be a problem if explained properly.
So you're from Turkey? Only country I know of in Europe that is both. Well, Russia. So Turkey or Russia. Some people argue Greece but no.

sabazurc

Because there are shitton of free novels with Asian settings translated. Maybe PPl wanted something different...for now.

sabazurc

Americans? You are just sidekicks of the European main branch. You may call yourself Americans, but culturally there is nothing unique about you. You are Europeans that killed the indigenous population to replace them. Simple as that.
Simple as that...considering the huge amount of innovations that have come from US the rest of the world used I would say no. And while ppl in Europe were kissing their king's and nobility's asses US got free of feudalism.
As for indigenous population death and conquest of the land (which always involved the death of those who occupied it), they were tribes who were battling and fighting each other already, live by the sword die by the sword...unfortunately that was the world especially back then. And looking at many Muslim countries, some territories of China and so on...probably all countries which at some point had power had done the same thing ot similar. It happened several centuries ago, move on.

CL

Forgive me for how this must sound (it is stupid): I've been told that anything west of Rome is the western culture. Does that mean Greek is eastern culture? I Googled for my answer and found out it is considered South Eastern but also Mediterranean, but I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Simple as that...considering the huge amount of innovations that have come from US the rest of the world used I would say no. And while ppl in Europe were kissing their king's and nobility's asses US got free of feudalism.
As for indigenous population death and conquest of the land (which always involved the death of those who occupied it), they were tribes who were battling and fighting each other already, live by the sword die by the sword...unfortunately that was the world especially back then. And looking at many Muslim countries, some territories of China and so on...probably all countries which at some point had power had done the same thing ot similar. It happened several centuries ago, move on.

O.o Feudalism? You mean monarchy, not feudalism. Feudalism ended during the 15th century when knights were rendered obsolete by large mercenary armies and the rise of cities.

And as far as I remember you kissed royal asses as well. You asked the directly king to illegally overturn the legitimate acts of the British parliament just to avoid taxation.

1774 Petition to the King by the First Continental Congress

To the King's Most Excellent Majesty:

Most Gracious Sovereign: We, your Majesty's faithful subjects of the Colonies of New-Hampshire, Massachusetts Bay, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations, Connecticut, New-York, New-Jersey, Pennsylvania, the Counties of New-Castle, Kent, and Sussex, on Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina, in behalf of ourselves and the inhabitants of those Colonies who have deputed us to represent them in General Congress, by this our humble Petition, beg leave to lay our Grievances before the Throne.

To a Sovereign, who glories in the name of Briton, the bare recital of these Acts must, we presume, justify the loyal subjects, who fly to the foot of his Throne, and implore his clemency for protection against them.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Forgive me for how this must sound (it is stupid): I've been told that anything west of Rome is the western culture. Does that mean Greek is eastern culture? I Googled for my answer and found out it is considered South Eastern but also Mediterranean, but I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

Ignore them, entire Europe is clearly western. The issue is just that the term western world was originally a political construct of the Cold War era with "western" countries being free open market democracies while the eastern part of Europe under the control of the Soviets was not considered western for obvious reasons. They were the eastern block. They were commies and Americans don't like commies

But with the end of the Cold War, this division had become redundant. The former Soviet vassal states turned west and are today clearly western countries by all standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: CL

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
It was honestly pretty funny to see the whole discussion~ :blob_popcorn::blob_popcorn::blob_popcorn:

I didn't even read it. Just saw that one line and I'm already uninterested in the rest. I mean I hope he was being sarcastic because that's just....

I mean what do you even say to something as obviously incorrect as that? That's like saying Japan and Korea are sidekicks to China. Or Brazil is a side kick to Portugal or Mexico is a sidekick to Spain.

The level of ignorance involved in that comment of his....XDDDD

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I didn't even read it. Just saw that one line and I'm already uninterested in the rest. I mean I hope he was being sarcastic because that's just....

I mean what do you even say to something as obviously incorrect as that? That's like saying Japan and Korea are sidekicks to China. Or Brazil is a side kick to Portugal or Mexico is a sidekick to Spain.

The level of ignorance involved in that comment of his....XDDDD
I mostly skimmed through it too! XD

At the end of the day, it kinda falls under Politics and Hijacking though, so it was quite possible to get the thread locked if anyone reported it... I figured I'd just ignore it since it wasn't heated though.

HokuouTenrou

So, this is something I want to ask all the non-native English speaking authors. Why not try to write stories about your culture?
Because I want to write about European-ish fantasy setting. I'm not interested in my own culture.

Same here (though in my case, does alternate future Atlantic Ocean counts? lol). Never was, and never will be a proud countryman.

AkalE

I mostly skimmed through it too! XD

At the end of the day, it kinda falls under Politics and Hijacking though, so it was quite possible to get the thread locked if anyone reported it... I figured I'd just ignore it since it wasn't heated though.
It was a close call right from the get go.:sweating_profusely:

cc.mscreeps18

Typically, I would base my novels on real life experiences then be creative to create a world of my own. I'm a Filipino and I write novels based on what's currently happening, although I'm a bit subtle on it and just giving hints about the hidden idea I'm expressing. I'm into sci-fi and war novels, and I add a bit of romance on the side to at least give it colour. It's great to at least promote your own culture to everyone though.

Here are the samples of my works tho

cc.mscreeps18

Also, if I may add, there's a pervasive atmosphere in some countries that see the Western and Japanese cultures as the 'cool' ones.

I was like that before, a weaboo thinking that Japanese culture is supreme above everything else, and so I write with Japanese stuff in it. Lately did I realize, my own culture has its own merits too.

So now I write with my own culture and values in mind. Not only that it's easy, it is also promoting my country.

I kinda like your point tho cause yeah I did the same thing before. I've been soooo into western and japanese type of writing. Then lately I just realized what if I try writing something inspired by my own country. Well, after doing that i felt that certain satisfaction and it actually motivated me a lot to write more.