What are The Forbidden Topics And How To Tread Along The Line Without Actually Crossing Them?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
There are none, unless you tailor your stuff to kids I think avoiding these sorts of topics will limit your story as to how you write them
GDLiZy was asking in specific about the stuff limited by ScribbleHub's guidelines! XD

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
Necrophilia, Bestiality, Suicide, Racism, Sexism, Racial Supremecy, Depression, Gore...

Oh dear. It's unrelated, but now I am thinking about a dead beastkin girl who committed suicide due to depression, who was described as looking too young to be legal but it was clearly stated several times in the story that despite looking too young she was 18+ (for legal reasons), whose maddened lover never got to make out with her decides to do so anyways out of grief ... and it's a bit gory. All this happened off-screen and was only implied by the chapter writings rather than directly described to the reader.

AliceShiki

Oh dear. It's unrelated, but now I am thinking about a dead beastkin girl who committed suicide due to depression, who was described as looking too young to be legal but it was clearly stated several times in the story that despite looking too young she was 18+ (for legal reasons), whose maddened lover never got to make out with her decides to do so anyways out of grief ... and it's a bit gory. All this happened off-screen and was only implied by the chapter writings rather than directly described to the reader.
:sweat_smile:

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
On the age of consent, what about beings created as mature members of their species? Cause the MC in one of my stories has a Monster Creation skill, and it'd be a shame to miss out on monster girl waifus. So if its real particular about literal amount of time lived, I'd have to lay out more groundwork for potential waifus instead of just creating them when it comes up. I mean, it wouldn't be a big deal because of something I'm planning to have happen, but I would at least like to know if I should treat it that way.

AliceShiki

On the age of consent, what about beings created as mature members of their species? Cause the MC in one of my stories has a Monster Creation skill, and it'd be a shame to miss out on monster girl waifus. So if its real particular about literal amount of time lived, I'd have to lay out more groundwork for potential waifus instead of just creating them when it comes up. I mean, it wouldn't be a big deal because of something I'm planning to have happen, but I would at least like to know if I should treat it that way.
If the character is less than 18 years old, then it should be safer to not explicitly depict sexual acts nor to encourage sexual relationships with them.

But for odd cases like yours it's hard to give a concrete answer.

Last edited:

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
If the character is less than 18 years old, then it should be safer to not explicitly depict sexual acts nor to encourage sexual relationships with them.

But for odd cases like yours are hard to give a concrete answer.
Thanks, I suppose its a "Better to err on the side of caution" situation then. And, I suppose Tai is meant to be kinda dense anyway, so just having him not think of instant waifus is fine. Gonna have to rework a couple characters I had in mind though.

Astaroth

Encouraging Non-Consensual Sexual Content - These are stories that are encouraging non-consensual sexual acts. Your story cannot be encouraging non-consensual sex acts.
This reminds me of when I saw this a while back; it made me instantly think of all the translated novels with rape in them. (And whether or not they'd pass this requirement.)

Generic trash CN novels where MC gets drugged and end up raping the female love interest (MGA, ATG, HJC, etc.)

All those BL novels with the "straight" MC gets raped until he likes it fetish. (Yeah, I love hearing about that "rape is never okay" hypocrisy btw)

Seen a few of those JP mindcontrol novels as well...

And I'm sure there's plenty more which I don't even know about...

Anyway, I wonder, would those novels be OK on scribblehub (assuming that they were original and not translated ofc)?

AliceShiki

This reminds me of when I saw this a while back; it made me instantly think of all the translated novels with rape in them. (And whether or not they'd pass this requirement.)

Generic trash CN novels where MC gets drugged and end up raping the female love interest (MGA, ATG, HJC, etc.)

All those BL novels with the "straight" MC gets raped until he likes it fetish. (Yeah, I love hearing about that "rape is never okay" hypocrisy btw)

Anyway, I wonder, would those novels be OK on scribblehub (assuming that they were original and not translated ofc)?
I feel like depicting stuff like Rape, Stockholm Syndrome and Mind Control does not necessarily mean encouraging them.

At the same time, if you actively depict the intercourse, it certainly can be seen as encouraging them (Even if that's not the purpose of the author), so... Maybe?

Really hard to judge those. My guess is that as long as the author actively portrays those acts as bad things, it would be allowed.

And on a side note, I have no clue what you're talking about with the "hypocrisy" part. Do you really feel like you'd ever be allowed to rape someone under certain circumstances? Because that's messed up.

Astaroth

And on a side note, I have no clue what you're talking about with the "hypocrisy" part. Do you really feel like you'd ever be allowed to rape someone under certain circumstances? Because that's messed up.
Nah, the hypocrisy is referring to certain users on NUF who would always talk about how bad the generic trash CN novels like ATG are for having rape. But then they'd have nose bleeds over their own novels featuring the same thing...

IDK about now, since I'm not really that active on NUF, but if you ever read reviews on random novels you'll find that there's still the same hypocritical sentiment around.

Thor

Im pretty sure they wouldnt be okay on this site. I rarely read any fiction which contain rape but those I have read absolutely dont encourage the act and most of the time just show it happen as something bad.

I'd like to think that every fiction with MC's who rape someone or MC's who are getting raped until they like it (wtf?) will banned asap.

There is a fiction that contains a rape scene on this site in detail but its written in a way to shows how it affects the victim and how gruesome the act in itself is. Absolutely nothing encouraging to find there.

AliceShiki

Nah, the hypocrisy is referring to certain users on NUF who would always talk about how bad the generic trash CN novels like ATG are for having rape. But then they'd have nose bleeds over their own novels featuring the same thing...

IDK about now, since I'm not really that active on NUF, but if you ever read reviews on random novels you'll find that there's still the same hypocritical sentiment around.
Welp, my guess is that the readers that say that are fine with a MC with Stockholm Syndrome, but are not fine with a rapist MC, because... Well, raping someone is messed up.

Being raped OTOH is one of those fetishes that nobody really wants to go through, but can be arousing to fantasize about.
Im pretty sure they wouldnt be okay on this site. I rarely read any fiction which contain rape but those I have read absolutely dont encourage the act and most of the time just show it happen as something bad.

I'd like to think that every fiction with MC's who rape someone or MC's who are getting raped until they like it (wtf?) will banned asap.

There is a fiction that contains a rape scene on this site in detail but its written in a way to shows how it affects the victim and how gruesome the act in itself is. Absolutely nothing encouraging to find there.
I think that if the author tries going deeply into the big mess that is Stockholm Syndrome, then it would be fine... If they just write it off as a fetish thing, then not.

That's just my guess though.

Vaerama

I was once recommended a BL anime that used this ‘trope’ of sorts, and they played the event ‘for humor’ (men can’t be raped, fam). Pastel colours, bright vivid red roses popping into the foreground, sparkly ‘fun’-spirited music, fade to pink despite constant verbal and physical protests from the person being raped (they mercifully moved it off camera), and afterwards the victim was portrayed with a ‘trauma’ for the ordeal. Supposedly, it goes on to a nice wholesome relationship by the end, but I wasn’t willing to wait.

If you’re going to write a rape, or any similar violation of your MC/some other character, then you should play it for the true human tragedy it’s worth. Coercion, blackmail, mind control... each of these can have their place in a story, even the perspective of those characters doing things that they know are ‘wrong’ of them can be fascinating to explore (to some extent: white angels have no wings, or serenade), but they’re usually not all that ‘funny’, or ‘pleasant’.

Last edited:

AliceShiki

I was once recommended a BL anime that used this ‘trope’ of sorts, and they played the event ‘for humor’ (men can’t be raped, fam). Pastel colours, bright vivid red roses popping into the foreground, sparkly ‘fun’-spirited music, fade to pink despite constant verbal and physical protests from the person being raped (they mercifully loved it off camera), and afterwards the victim was portrayed with a ‘trauma’ for the ordeal. Supposedly, it goes on to a nice wholesome relationship by the end, but I wasn’t willing to wait.

If you’re going to write a rape, or any similar violation of your MC/some other character, then you should play it for the true human tragedy it’s worth. Coercion, blackmail, mind control... each of these can have their place in a story, even the perspective of those characters doing things that they know are ‘wrong’ of them can be fascinating to explore (to some extent: white angels have no wings, or serenade), but they’re usually not all that ‘funny’, or ‘pleasant’.
*pukes blood* I really hate this disgusting misconception that men can't be raped... Like saying that they should enjoy any form of sexual intercourse, even if it'a forced on them... It's horrible.

And on that note, I hate when serious topics are downplayed for laughs... Like, geez, there are so mant jokes things we can make, do we have to make one about a serious issue that actively harms people?

Thor

I was once recommended a BL anime that used this ‘trope’ of sorts, and they played the event ‘for humor’ (men can’t be raped, fam). Pastel colours, bright vivid red roses popping into the foreground, sparkly ‘fun’-spirited music, fade to pink despite constant verbal and physical protests from the person being raped (they mercifully loved it off camera), and afterwards the victim was portrayed with a ‘trauma’ for the ordeal. Supposedly, it goes on to a nice wholesome relationship by the end, but I wasn’t willing to wait.

Thats a fucked up anime then. It's on the same level of various translated novels on NU with tags like 'rape victim becomes lover'. How much do you need to fantasize do come up with that shit? Its not even remotely imaginable if the victim has an intact psyche which is able to suffer from trauma.

Even if those authors find a logical and believable way to explain how that comes to be, there is no way it would be realistic in any way. It's utterly disgusting to use rape as a tool for romance in a story and even worse that they decriminalize the act with their fiction. /rant off

About writing scenes that contain rape (in detail or not), you are right, only if the delivery is about the tragedy. Like I already mentioned, the one I have read, is about the physical and psychological damage occurring during the act and what it does to the victim. Later on about immediate and long-term consequences for said victim.

Though about coercion, blackmail and mindcontrol, fascinating as it could be when explored, an author will be hard pressed to come up with a story that would be in line with sc content rules if the the aforementioned acts are used as a means to rape someone. Because even if the MC knows its wrong what they are doing, they will try to justify it and a justification 'can' be seen as encouragement except they are insane, then it would be a grey area I guess?

But all that is only true for literature that takes itself serious.

*pukes blood* I really hate this disgusting misconception that men can't be raped... Like saying that they should enjoy any form of sexual intercourse, even if it'a forced on them... It's horrible.

And on that note, I hate when serious topics are downplayed for laughs... Like, geez, there are so mant jokes things we can make, do we have to make one about a serious issue that actively harms people?

I really dont know how anyone could think that men can't be raped. There is plenty of evidence for it.

Not that I like to slander the church but everyone atleast heard once in their life about priests raping boys/teenager in the media. So yeah, man can be raped by man. Women can rape man too. There are many forms of sexual abuse. Even if you strictly define rape as something that needs to involve intercourse there are many ways. For example, what most people dont know is that intense fear can lead to an erection.

How someone could joke about sexual abuse is puzzling to me.

AliceShiki

I really dont know how anyone could think that men can't be raped. There is plenty of evidence for it.

Not that I like to slander the church but everyone atleast heard once in their life about priests raping boys/teenager in the media. So yeah, man can be raped by man. Women can rape man too. There are many forms of sexual abuse. Even if you strictly define rape as something that needs to involve intercourse there are many ways. For example, what most people dont know is that intense fear can lead to an erection.

How someone could joke about sexual abuse is puzzling to me.
Aye, it's mindblowing to me too, but... It happens... Somehow.

At least those misconceptions are slowly changing~

Lacy

In case anyone's still checking this thread, what are people's thoughts on being raped as a child being part of a supporting character's (traumatic, and depicted as such) backstory? Never, absolutely never, explicitly depicted, simply implied to have happened.

Flashwolf96

Ah, it's good that you revived a thread like this. I may be able to offer something constructive to this kind of topic.

My fiction, Terror in Ryokan, contains a scene depicting a teenage girl (It's obvious she's in her late teens, but her age isn't explicitly mentioned, so there's no way to know for sure whether or not she's a minor) engaging in necrophilia with the dead body of another character. The scene isn't described in detail - mostly because I'm completely embarrassed by unused to writing sexual stuff and the scene is more for shock factor as the sort-of climax of the story - and is mostly conveyed through the character's dialogue, moaning, etc.

Before uploading the particular chapter the scene in question takes place in, I was concerned about whether or not it violated the content guidelines. But in the end I received permission to upload it from Tony personally after messaging him about it. If it helps, feel free to use the scene as a reference for what could be considered "light enough to pass" or as a guideline for how far you're allowed to go with these sorts of things.

Personally, I feel the scene kind of pushes the boundaries a bit, so I'm grateful for Tony's generosity.

Last edited:

MajorKerina

I have an upcoming story which is semi-autobiographical with a lot of adult language and the relatively mild description of a teenage character's fantasies and physical feelings towards another. They're both technically 17 and starting their senior year of high school but would it better to just say they're 18 in the story?

Lacy

Ah, it's good that you revived a thread like this. I may be able to offer something constructive to this kind of topic.

My fiction, Terror in Ryokan, contains a scene depicting a teenage girl (It's obvious she's in her late teens, but her age isn't explicitly mentioned, so there's no way to know for sure whether or not she's a minor) engaging in necrophilia with the dead body of another character. The scene isn't described in detail - mostly because I'm completely unused to writing sexual stuff and the scene is more for shock factor as the sort-of climax of the story - and is mostly conveyed through the character's dialogue, moaning, etc.

Before uploading the particular chapter the scene in question takes place in, I was concerned about whether or not it violated the content guidelines. But in the end I received permission to upload it from Tony personally after messaging him about it. If it helps, feel free to use the scene as a reference for what could be considered "light enough to pass" or as a guideline for how far you're allowed to go with these sorts of things.

Personally, I feel the scene rather pushes the boundaries a bit, so I'm grateful for Tony's generosity.
Thanks for the response! That's very useful to know, in particular because I'm an unsure person who's hesitant to message particular people, so hearing that Tony's been receptive to this before is good.

TRNRLogan

I have an upcoming story which is semi-autobiographical with a lot of adult language and the relatively mild description of a teenage character's fantasies and physical feelings towards another. They're both technically 17 and starting their senior year of high school but would it better to just say they're 18 in the story?

I mean it's always better to make characters legal if there's sexual stuff. But if nothing actually happens i don't think it is necessary.