Recommendations What are you favorite novels/mangas with the "applies/reinvents modern technology" trope?

Keene

Squat Enjoyer and Programmer
I admit I'm a sucker for this trope.

Although I didn't like how it progressively relied on smut scenes, Tyranny of Steel is my favorite: US Infantryman is killed in the ME and sent back to alternative Europe in the 15th century and proceeds to go on quite the conquering spree.

Really enjoyed the first few hundred chapters of Release That Witch. The author was very creative in how individual witches powers could be used to further technological progress.

Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan: Noukou Giga is another one close to the heart. It's more agricultural and historical centered but it's a great read.

Looking for any more suggestions!

SailusGebel

I don't think I have any recommendation, you probably read everything I've read. But I can name my favorite, it is Release That Witch.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
does Please Don't Come to the Villainess' Stationery Store! count?

she creates a stationery store by the way

dummycake

I should be working but you've given me something to read!
it's a female-led romance manhwa, she creates a stationery store and sells candy made with magic to kids, it's pretty light hearted and fun
at least until the point I read, idk if she decides to nuke the kingdom or something

Keene

it's a female-led romance manhwa, she creates a stationery store and sells candy made with magic to kids, it's pretty light hearted and fun
at least until the point I read, idk if she decides to nuke the kingdom or something

Well I just read the second chapter and if this panel is an honest translation then it's gold:

Screenshot 2024-02-15 152023.png

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.

:blob_hide:

Terrate

I really like Shinji no Nectar. The main character isn't an inventor or anything, but he does bring up his modern knowledge from time to time. Oh, and it's the same author as Seikon no Qwaser, if you know what that is, so it's really lewd (Titty sucking is still part of its PLOT). This manga is really just my guilty pleasure.

dummycake

I think in Chounin A wa Akuyaku Reijou wo Doushitemo Sukuitai the MC creates magical small jets/airplanes that he pilots himself

Hanne

Although I didn't like how it progressively relied on smut scenes, Tyranny of Steel is my favorite: US Infantryman is killed in the ME and sent back to alternative Europe in the 15th century and proceeds to go on quite the conquering spree.

Really enjoyed the first few hundred chapters of Release That Witch. The author was very creative in how individual witches powers could be used to further technological progress.

Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan: Noukou Giga is another one close to the heart. It's more agricultural and historical centered but it's a great read.

:blob_cookie:

SSS.png

Keene

:blob_cookie:

Oh weird - I was trying to remember this novel because I read a decent amount of it 6 months ago and wanted to re-read it!

Definitely one of the better novels I've read with these tropes! Strongly suggest anyone else here to give it a go :)

TotallyHuman

I dislike reinvention of modern technology trope because it is rarely done well. My more preferable way of things being done is when the mc or some other person with the required knowledge nudges the ideas of what to do and tells it to professionals, and also gives some critical advice on how it is best realised. In other words, the mc here doesn't act as neither the crutial piece of the puzzle, nor flrces technology decades ahead because that's not how it works amd instead just acts useful and saves some time and resources.
Truly, the authors who go beyond that either ignore or don't understand that whatever could be made at that step is either going to be made soon enough, or is actually impossible to make because of some specific thing that will require developing an entire industry, or it's simply unneeded.
But civilizations making their own technology? I am so down for this shit.
Those moments when one side takes a step further and bombs the other side from the air? Priceless.
I am really enjoying 4.6 billion years of evolution because it imagines three to four types of civilizations where I am reading, with up to 4-5 species per type, each developing their technology their own way and also because it's vaguely communist and absolutely not nationalist.
Monster girl's evolution about bug girls who are basically zerg (I have never plaged wow, so take it with a grain of salt) was pretty fun and similar. Not as fun though. But cuter.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~

Don't know if it would be counted...but [Lord of the Mysteries]

X

So_Indecisive

Primordial sin of Sloth
I dislike reinvention of modern technology trope because it is rarely done well. My more preferable way of things being done is when the mc or some other person with the required knowledge nudges the ideas of what to do and tells it to professionals, and also gives some critical advice on how it is best realised. In other words, the mc here doesn't act as neither the crutial piece of the puzzle, nor flrces technology decades ahead because that's not how it works amd instead just acts useful and saves some time and resources.
Truly, the authors who go beyond that either ignore or don't understand that whatever could be made at that step is either going to be made soon enough, or is actually impossible to make because of some specific thing that will require developing an entire industry, or it's simply unneeded.
But civilizations making their own technology? I am so down for this shit.
Those moments when one side takes a step further and bombs the other side from the air? Priceless.
I am really enjoying 4.6 billion years of evolution because it imagines three to four types of civilizations where I am reading, with up to 4-5 species per type, each developing their technology their own way and also because it's vaguely communist and absolutely not nationalist.
Monster girl's evolution about bug girls who are basically zerg (I have never plaged wow, so take it with a grain of salt) was pretty fun and similar. Not as fun though. But cuter.
Yeah even though it's mostly about enchanting and magic tech(for some reason all of this is blacksmithing?) I really enjoyed chrysalis

RiaCorvidiva

Lady with a Caws.
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court for the famous literary example of this idea.

Vnator

I feel the same way about release that witch, it was great! I stopped at around chapter 900ish since the MC felt a little too authoritarian and long lived prideful factions were suddenly bending the knee to him without a second thought. Still curious how it went from there though.

And as for Tyranny of Steel, I can't say anything about the story, but the song of that name by Iron Savior absolutely kicks ass!

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
:blob_neutral: I dislike them as they wouldn't work anyway. Too much suspension of disbelief.

Plantorsomething

Reincarnated bookworm hands down