What do people look for in a good superhero fanfiction?

Simple_Russian_Boi

Maybe an alcoholic | Occasionally a cat
Booba

People look for different things, there's no right answer, just don't make your work boring and you can write whatever you want.

IanWhite2105

Faithful portrayal of the original characters, realistic interactions, “human” stories, not-brainless smut, etc…
The first is simple, just make sure that the characters being used act similar to those characters in some form of official media. I.e; Video games like the Arkham series, cartoons like Justice League/Young Justice, movies like the MCU/Beyond the spiderverse, etc…. (I just realized that DC has a stranglehold on the cartoon/video game scene whilst Marvel has the movies)

The second is universal for writing in general but is something that is rarely done well. So long as everything isn't somehow ending in the benefit of the MC it should be ok.

As far as human stories go just look at the source material. They only got widely popular after their content turned away from “Hero good, people hero punch is villain”. Readers like stories that show the “heroes” and “villains” as people and not something beyond humanity.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Think 'the boys'
poorly disguised fetishes?
Faithful portrayal of the original characters, realistic interactions, “human” stories, not-brainless smut, etc…
The first is simple, just make sure that the characters being used act similar to those characters in some form of official media. I.e; Video games like the Arkham series, cartoons like Justice League/Young Justice, movies like the MCU/Beyond the spiderverse, etc…. (I just realized that DC has a stranglehold on the cartoon/video game scene whilst Marvel has the movies)

The second is universal for writing in general but is something that is rarely done well. So long as everything isn't somehow ending in the benefit of the MC it should be ok.

As far as human stories go just look at the source material. They only got widely popular after their content turned away from “Hero good, people hero punch is villain”. Readers like stories that show the “heroes” and “villains” as people and not something beyond humanity.
The faithful portrayal can be somewhat loose, because for example marvel characters as we know them today and as they were known forty years ago are entirely different things. Also, if the MC is some guy who suddenly BECAME one of those characters, you may write them differently anyway.

The interactins, yeah keep them realistic. The human stories, not sure what you mean unless you just mean grounded and believable but then again comics arent exactly like that anyway. You need to be hand-wavy with some things, just how it is.

The SMUT? Nah bro fuck that take, If i see a fanfic of Spiderman and you have Silk make an appearance...There damn well BETTER be a four page scene depictiing in exccruciating detail how Peter is turning her womb into a hot sticky mess. I enjoy some bits of erotica sprinkled throughout my fanfictions. It shouldnt be the main focus, but the very least for characters who canonically FUCK then its just expected we get to see it happen every now and then. And the Lord knows Marvel and DC have plenty of characters who've bumped uglies with each other before

Last edited:

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I prefer fictional modern superhero settings. I think setting the story on earth just raises too many inconsistencies.

Prefer things like one punch man, and the hero killer manwha that are set in their own universe

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
This.
Think 'the boys'
Oh Dear God No. Please no. Anti-Superman has been done to DEATH.
Faithful portrayal of the original characters, realistic interactions, “human” stories, not-brainless smut
This too.

Look. Superhero isn't a genre. It is a setting. You can have any sort of Genre IN a superhero setting. So you can have smut, or not smut. Or a deep psychological character study. Or Bash-Punch-Boom. Or an action story. Or a Mystery.

What people want is good X. Pick X to be whatever. You want examples?

Check my Sig file. Read Hotrod lantern, then I Was Summoned. One is DC fanfic. The other Smut with plot. Both are good examples of 'Good Superhero Stories', even if they are polar opposites, in more than one way.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Common sense.

guessilldie.jpg

greyliliy

Identity Issues. I love identity issues so much. Half the reason I read anything hero related is because of the complex relationships that come from having secret identities and dual lives. Bruce Wayne vs Batman, Clark vs Superman, Peter Parker vs Spider-Man, and so forth.

Heck, one of the biggest reasons I love Spider-Man is because people who like Peter Parker tend to Hate Spider-Man and vice versa. The more people who know Peter's dual identity the less interested I am in Spider-Man media. XD

Way back in the day, my favorite AU version of Marvel fics were the ones where people didn't know Tony Stark was Iron Man. XD