What do you think of Gaming companies losing Billions?

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
So, I'm sure if you've been paying attention recently... the gaming industry has been in huge turmoil and there are all sorts of things being thrown around including DEI, greed and multiple other things.

I have to say that all these things are interconnected.

DEI gives cheap loans.
CEO thinks "Oh hey! Cheap funding for game! As long as we make something gamers will play because they addicted LOLZ!"
DEVS are like "Okay... we toe line cuz we got jobz..."
GAMERS get bad game and are like "I ain't spendin' me monies on that shit!"
CEO/DEVS/DEI LOVERs then go on like "bigots, hippocrites, nowz, we don't wantz ur monies anyways!"
Then CEO fires DEVS and DEVS ask GAMERS to back them up.

I'm all like... ya know... this really is all about greed.
Then again, greed does have to take its course.
I realize that I won't be able to change the gaming industry, however, I also realize that I don't need to.
Gaming is recreational. It is not a need.

I'm more concerned about the food industry.

Either way, I do have great interest in everything happening, just now that I've realized I don't need video games to live my life and see it as nothing but a past time. I'm kind of wishing more gaming companies would go the route like VALVE and just be private ownership without public trading.

It's pretty obvious that in our current culture and world, companies are destroyed over public trading and investors who buy stock without even knowing or caring about the industry since many of them are just short term investors instead of long term ones.

Corty

On Vacation, on Uranus
Get fucked.

That's my simple thought. :blob_popcorn:

I don't care for the reason why; I'm just happy to see them struggle and lose money. I am angrier about them always going live service, season pass, half-baked releases (sorry, alpha build releases as full games), abandoning them when they flop, and overloading games with the useless grind, making everything a multiplayer experience, always online bullshit.

As I said.

Get. Fucked.

ArtBusterBeeze

I believe the gaming industry needs to finally sit down and they need to think. Stop pushing things out and overloading themselves. Nobody realizes what success really looks like. The view of it is skewed these days in my opinion. Anger has overtaken the gaming community. They need to calm down. It will probably never happen though.

Jerynboe

The Games industry has collapsed multiple times, and it’s easier than ever to get a finished (or unfinished…) Indy game to consumers thanks to platforms like Steam. Great games will rise to the top, and the poorly thought out cash grabs will continue to choke the life and credibility out of poorly run follow the leader types. If Steam were more gatekeepy or political I’d be more worried, but they mostly stay neutral or moderately pro-consumer because they (near uniquely among entertainment industry bigwigs) still recognize the value of customer goodwill.
I have opinions about the politics and such involved, but tbh gaming is one of the areas I’m least worried. Many franchises will burn, and I will mourn them. Gaming will survive and, in time, thrive. The triple A section is largely broken, but Elden Ring and Baldurs Gate 3 still came out because people who genuinely care are still working in the industry.

beast_regards

Vast majority of games are made by large corporation, or under their influence.

Either, they are developed directly by large corporation.

Or they are made by the mid-sized company hired by the large corporation. Essentially, subcontractor.

Only a tiny number of games, made by equally tiny studios, are truly independent, but lack the time, resources, expertise and technology, and are limited to creating mostly low-budget rogue-likes, not a truly expansive AAA titles for mainstream audience. They are also only ones whose income is completely reliant on conventional market i.e. sell an excellent product to make profit.

Mid-sized subcontractors don't do it. They have time, expertise and money, but their income is not dependent on sales. Their customers are not the guys buying games. Their customers are large corporation paying for development, as long as they make corporation happy, they are profitable without selling even a single copy.

This leads us to large corporations.

Large corporations don't work like small businesses and thus aren't really reliant on the usual "selling good stuff". They once were, it got them where they are now, but they aren't anymore. They work like political entities, rather than businesses, under their own rules.

CSDestroyer

Capital equity and interests rates are directly tied. When interest rates for low-risk securities, like bonds and loans, are low, that means that it's worth the extra risk for private equity to invest in ventures that have a higher rate of return, such as the video game industry.

Within the past two years, interests rates have riven. That private equity which has once gone to riskier business is now going back to loans, bonds, and other similar securities tied to interests rates, because you get higher returns at that same low level of risk. This means less money is freed up to invest in companies and ventures that are considered risky.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
BURN THEM ALL TO THE GROUND. SALT THE EARTH WHERE THEY ONCE STOOD. CARPET THE REMAINS WITH INCONTINENT SPIDERS. I WOULD SEE THEM ALL REDUCED TO A SLURRY OF ASH, SODIUM, AND ARACHNID PIDDLE.
I thought all spiders are incontinent.

ZukoMee

They started catering to minority & non-existent groups that make up no size or a very small size of their market, pushing weird politics that go against the typical gamer, and then insulting and attacking the most common/populous gamer demographic: The white male.

Also, the term for modern audience's has become so repulsive I immediately know what I'm in for the moment I see/hear it.

They can burn and I hope I can see the smoke trails from where I live.

Paul_Michaels

Just a below average author.
It's called a market correction.

Triple-A companies will have to reevaluate their model unless they want to go under.
Microsoft is a big example. Just buying up all those studios only for them to Spread their resources thin. All in hopes to get more subscriptions for game pass.

Plus it was a stupid idea for them putting new releases of their games on game pass. They lost out on higher revenue because of it and it makes their games sells numbers look like crap when millions have played them like Hi-Fi Rush.

I'm not losing any sleep over it because there will still be a game industry at the end of the day. But we might be witnessing something we have never seen before.