What does LitRPG mean?

TheOneWho

I'm confused about what counts as a LitRpg because there is a tag for it but there are also stories with LitRPG in the title but not the tag. When I try goggling it all I found that it has something to do with Trpg. What is a LitRPg?

TheOneWho

LitRPG, short for Literary Role Playing Game, is a literary genre combining the conventions of computer RPGs with science-fiction and fantasy novels.
What do you mean by conventions of computer RPG?

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
If you were playing Skyrim or Pokemon and then wrote out what you played, making a big deal out of the stats, skills, and levels, you would be writing LitRPG. Take a game, and make a story out of it.

Slightly different than making a story about a game (GameLit), or making a game out of a story (GameBook).

TheOneWho

LitRPG, short for Literary Role Playing Game, is a literary genre combining the conventions of computer RPGs with science-fiction and fantasy novels.
If you were playing Skyrim or Pokemon and then wrote out what you played, making a big deal out of the stats, skills, and levels, you would be writing LitRPG. Take a game, and make a story out of it.

Slightly different than making a story about a game (GameLit), or making a game out of a story (GameBook).
Thx both of u

Paul_Michaels

Just a below average author.
It means you put arbitrary numbers to stat things in a fictional world that start losing their meaning, the longer the story goes because the author will turn their MC into a god before they know it, then freak out because there are no more challenges left for the MC and have to make up bs to keep their story going as they start to ignore there stat later in the story.

You know a liteRPG

Premier

You write a regular fantasy story but occasionally break up the story with massive statblocks of powers. The character will only use about 10% of there and forget they even have the others.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
It means you put arbitrary numbers to stat things in a fictional world that start losing their meaning, the longer the story goes because the author will turn their MC into a god before they know it, then freak out because there are no more challenges left for the MC and have to make up bs to keep their story going as they start to ignore there stat later in the story.

You know a liteRPG
I've had a few readers complain now that mine ISN'T doing that. I've tried to meticulously keep numbers and things grounded in the world (because my story is a story in a world, rather than a story that makes a world), and as a consequence I've had more than one person complain to me that the progression and numbers aren't making the MC OP fast enough. I ignore those few people.

Paul_Michaels

Just a below average author.
I've had a few readers complain now that mine ISN'T doing that. I've tried to meticulously keep numbers and things grounded in the world (because my story is a story in a world, rather than a story that makes a world), and as a consequence I've had more than one person complain to me that the progression and numbers aren't making the MC OP fast enough. I ignore those few people.
I don't mind liteRPGs in general but most indie and some pro authors seem to skip the end-game planning for their story which results in no longer utilizing all those stats and levels.
Which is a bummer for a lot of stories because I usually like the world they create but because a MC has some type of cheat that lets them become stronger at a breakneck speed which hurts the story in the long run.
They need to plan out what happens when the MC becomes the max-level god besides throwing in a new bigger badass that was off on the side jerking off and then throwing in another biggerer badass that was really jerking off not giving a crap until now for since reason.
Sorry for the venting.

melchi

What is a custom title?
If it helps, usually I drop stories when the MC gets demigod level. So become OP as slow as possible if you want there are those of us that like that.

IcyTurtle

Thank you for the detail explanation, now I won't be as confuse anymore with these tags.