What does "Son-Deville" mean?

TotallyHuman

I listened to a song from a musical called Dracula. The song's title is "within my world"
There was a word, a term, I didn't really know, so I wanted to find out.
Here are the fragments with the song's lyrics:
She has inspired me
And stirred my emotion
Burning embers enflame a new devotion I'll turn back the centuries to enjoy the Son-Deville
That long ago become my destiny
Within my world
I will divine her
Excite her sensations
She'll abandon herself
To new temptations
She will know true ecstasy when she drinks the Son-Deville
That long ago become my destiny
Within my world

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
1.png

I'm as confused as you are.

LostLibrarian

First I thought based on your writing Son-Deville would be just an artistic way to say "son of the devil", which would be an artistic way to speak about Dracula (literal translation of the name).

But I just went and listened to it and the thing is, the lyrics you posted are just wrong.
It isn't Son-Deville but "sang-de-vie", a shorter artistic version of the french description "sang de la vie", meaning life blood.

So in short: he turns back the centuries to once more enjoy drinking blood (e.g. he finds new passion in his immortal life). And she will know true ecstasy when she drinks the blood, that would turn her into a vampire bride.

Jemini

First I thought based on your writing Son-Deville would be just an artistic way to say "son of the devil", which would be an artistic way to speak about Dracula (literal translation of the name).

But I just went and listened to it and the thing is, the lyrics you posted are just wrong.
It isn't Son-Deville but "sang-de-vie", a shorter artistic version of the french description "sang de la vie", meaning life blood.

So in short: he turns back the centuries to once more enjoy drinking blood (e.g. he finds new passion in his immortal life). And she will know true ecstasy when she drinks the blood, that would turn her into a vampire bride.

I was thinking the same thing.

Although, you either speak French, looked up the lyrics, or just plain have a MUCH sharper ear than I do because about all I was able to catch listening to it was that it was most certainly not saying "Son-Deville." I would have a bit of trouble saying what it did sound like though.

(I could probably get a horridly bastardized mispelling of the correct term if I listened to it a few times.)

LostLibrarian

Although, you either speak French
I had French in school for 5 years or so. Didn't help with the meaning or correct spelling (had to google that as well), but it was enough to realize it's French and not horrible pronounced English :D

Jemini

I had French in school for 5 years or so. Didn't help with the meaning or correct spelling (had to google that as well), but it was enough to realize it's French and not horrible pronounced English :D

I have not learned any French, but I could tell it was French just because of how the singer's voice went and lost breath support and his parlance got quicker when he said it. I may not know any words in the language, but I have an ear for accents, and that's the French accent to a T. Very breathy and lots of short syllables spoken in rapid succession.