What game mechanic would you use to write a story around?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I was talking to a few people yesterday about games and I thought about how interesting it would be if the mechanic of Slay the spire was used as part of a story.

Slay the spire is essentially an RPG game where instead of clicking buttons where you perform slashes, dodges, skills/abilities. These movement and actions are in form of cards. It's a very unique game card game wise since most of the other card games are PvP, Slay the spire is PvE.

So that makes me wonder what other game's mechanic would prove to be interesting for a story. What game's mechanic would you use to write a story around?

The Game:

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
I was talking to a few people yesterday about games and I thought about how interesting it would be if the mechanic of Slay the spire was used as part of a story.

Slay the spire is essentially an RPG game where instead of clicking buttons where you perform slashes, dodges, skills/abilities. These movement and actions are in form of cards. It's a very unique game card game wise since most of the other card games are PvP, Slay the spire is PvE.

So that makes me wonder what other game's mechanic would prove to be interesting for a story. What game's mechanic would you use to write a story around?

The Game:
Maybe the Soulsborn series?
X

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Yeah, maybe something like that could be an interesting game mechanic in a story.
X
I could see it work. Also how frustrating the character would feel. Reminds me of "Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon" manga. It's about a skeleton being transported into the past cause he couldn't protect his mistress. Everytime the skeleton dies he would go back to like a save point. He doesn't know exactly when the save points are.

Nahrenne

I could see it work. Also how frustrating the character would feel. Reminds me of "Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon" manga. It's about a skeleton being transported into the past cause he couldn't protect his mistress. Everytime the skeleton dies he would go back to like a save point. He doesn't know exactly when the save points are.
Sounds interesting~
X

SquadCammander354

Perhaps the system that's so prominent in games. But if we use this mechanic, a story has to be short but long enough that it doesn't oversaturate itself. I felt like that's what happened with "A Monster Who Levels Up", where even though the story was over 200 chapters long, it started looking like it was getting rushed and became confusing.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
it started looking like it was getting rushed and became confusing.
For most LitRpgs their biggest problem is balancing out the powers and difficulty level. Even for seasoned game developers, they have problems balancing a game so for a writer, they tend to have pacing problem due to an unbalanced world.

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
I'd probably go for a classic rpg like dragon quest or maybe mabinogi
While new game mechanics can be interesting, because it's new people might hesitate to try it so maybe try combining it with existing troupes so that people won't be too scared to try?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I'd probably go for a classic rpg like dragon quest or maybe mabinogi
While new game mechanics can be interesting, because it's new people might hesitate to try it so maybe try combining it with existing troupes so that people won't be too scared to try?
How would you introduce/write it?

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
How would you introduce/write it?
Give the readers a false sense of hope by showing them the usual status and stuff like that but when the first battle start the mc attacks but nothing happens, they then see the monster pull a card out of nowhere and then they attack but this time the mc is damaged and then you continue the battle with the mc desperately copying that monster
Something like that? I don't know how slay the spire works and I can't watch it right now

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Give the readers a false sense of hope by showing them the usual status and stuff like that but when the first battle start the mc attacks but nothing happens, they then see the monster pull a card out of nowhere and then they attack but this time the mc is damaged and then you continue the battle with the mc desperately copying that monster
Something like that? I don't know how slay the spire works and I can't watch it right now
Hahaha, that would definitely be funny.

SquadCammander354

For most LitRpgs their biggest problem is balancing out the powers and difficulty level. Even for seasoned game developers, they have problems balancing a game so for a writer, they tend to have pacing problem due to an unbalanced world.
For this reason, I feel like it would be best to have arks or volumes to a story. That way the audience has something to look forward to because they know that something is coming, but it won't be rushed.

Creating things in bulk is never a good decision, that's why you have to plan and "drag" it out. If a dagger made out of metal that could withstand the recoil of mana or spirit energy were to be introduced, it could then be capable of infusion or enhancement spells. If you put a dagger and resonate it with flame or warmth, you can cut one's wounds and they will have to face the most agonizing death possible.

As there is no excessive blood loss, you can, in theory, prolong a battle. But if you resonate enough, the consumption rate will make up for itself with a burst in flames.

You're sacrificing speed over mind games and destruction value.

JustHANO

I always liked old school games where the difficulty was based on how much you knew about the game. Like the NES zelda or how in super mario 3 you could beat the game in like 30 minutes if you found two warp whistles. It'd probably be an isekai where the MC cheat is his memory of the game.

Nahrenne

For this reason, I feel like it would be best to have arks or volumes to a story. That way the audience has something to look forward to because they know that something is coming, but it won't be rushed.

Creating things in bulk is never a good decision, that's why you have to plan and "drag" it out. If a dagger made out of metal that could withstand the recoil of mana or spirit energy were to be introduced, it could then be capable of infusion or enhancement spells. If you put a dagger and resonate it with flame or warmth, you can cut one's wounds and they will have to face the most agonizing death possible.

As there is no excessive blood loss, you can, in theory, prolong a battle. But if you resonate enough, the consumption rate will make up for itself with a burst in flames.

You're sacrificing speed over mind games and destruction value.
Doing stuff in bulk is often called an info dump, which a lot of readers do not appreciate, nor retain for later reading.
X

Nahrenne

I always liked old school games where the difficulty was based on how much you knew about the game. Like the NES zelda or how in super mario 3 you could beat the game in like 30 minutes if you found two warp whistles. It'd probably be an isekai where the MC cheat is his memory of the game.
Hmm, but too many novels have it where the protag knows the ins and outs of the game.
Just look at Otome games, and others similar to it.
X

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Hmm, but too many novels have it where the protag knows the ins and outs of the game.
Just look at Otome games, and others similar to it.
X
Personally, I think an interesting idea about be a protag who knows the game because he made it but suffered amnesia when he was transferred over. Hence, sometimes he remembers knowledge that other people don't.