What game mechanic would you use to write a story around?

JustHANO

I feel you could write a good horror game in homage to horror games that restrict your movement options to make it scarier. The MC is in control of a character with set stiff movement options. Thinking about it now, it could be action instead, with him learning to use his stiff controls to make big climactic moments where he outsmarts his opponents

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Oh right is there any based on harvest moon? A calm farming game novel? Not bringing the farm to another world, I refuse to call that a farming novel
I would love that. Actually I would prefer if it is based on Rune Factory more.

One may have the skill, but lack in strength. Yet if one has strength, but no skill, then they will be nothing but another pawn. Strength and ability, the difference is the amount of time required to grow those attributes.
Basically character with weakness and strengths which some authors tend to forget to include.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I feel you could write a good horror game in homage to horror games that restrict your movement options to make it scarier. The MC is in control of a character with set stiff movement options. Thinking about it now, it could be action instead, with him learning to use his stiff controls to make big climactic moments where he outsmarts his opponents
That would definitely scare the crap out of if I were to read it. I don't do well with horror but I do think that's a great idea.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Oh right is there any based on harvest moon? A calm farming game novel? Not bringing the farm to another world, I refuse to call that a farming novel
Well, Eliza has some farming in it?
But only a small amount.
I can't really remember if there were others...
orz
X

SquadCammander354

Basically, character with weakness and strengths which some authors tend to forget to include.
Yes, for instance, one may be used to fighting right-handed people, but not the left. Simple things yet it makes it all the more important. Like the [Heavy Armor] skill, get that out of here.

It's impossible to do that unless you use the skill [Mana Manipulation] or [Spirit Resonance]. The little things count, like a knight only wearing metal pauldrons on the left because that's where his shield is, and that's where he'll be getting hit.

Nahrenne

Yeah, I've read it but I have a different idea on how to write a Pokemon style story. I do however love Charm of Soul Pets cause it is very close to how I imagine a novel similar to Pokemon.
I look forward to what you will write, then~
>w<

Scawy!
*hides behind Alve and Squaddie*
|.<)
I love Rune Factory!
Although I still haven't got far in it...
orz
At least I activated that moving stone statue thing.
X

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗

Basically character with weakness and strengths which some authors tend to forget to include.
Rune factory is just harvest moon plus an rpg which is nice and all but fi ding the balance between farming and fighting would be hard, you'd tend to go for the fighting since that seems more exciting and will draw in more readers but I want one about farming
About a kid that inherited a farm due to a promise, who came back to a old place to see a friend he swore he'd see again
A calming slice of life

Nahrenne

Yes, for instance, one may be used to fighting right-handed people, but not the left. Simple things yet it makes it all the more important. Like the [Heavy Armor] skill, get that out of here.

It's impossible to do that unless you use the skill [Mana Manipulation] or [Spirit Resonance]. The little things count, like a knight only wearing metal pauldrons on the left because that's where his shield is, and that's where he'll be getting hit.
That left and right-handed thing makes me think of The Princess Bride, a book and film that is brilliant and I recommend reading and watching both.
X

Nahrenne

Which version are you playing?
Hmm...the one where the childhood friend ends up inside the protag, and they get shifted through time to the future.
Or was it the past?
X

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Rune factory is just harvest moon plus an rpg which is nice and all but fi ding the balance between farming and fighting would be hard, you'd tend to go for the fighting since that seems more exciting and will draw in more readers but I want one about farming
About a kid that inherited a farm due to a promise, who came back to a old place to see a friend he swore he'd see again
A calming slice of life
If you haven't yet I do recommend watching A silver spoon, it's a great farming anime. I do understand what you mean, I've read a few "farm" novel on NU. The ones I did read I really enjoyed them but most of them were dropped and never finished translating.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Hmm...the one where the childhood friend ends up inside the protag, and they get shifted through time to the future.
Or was it the past?
X
Ah, I think that was the first one?

Nahrenne

If you haven't yet I do recommend watching A silver spoon, it's a great farming anime. I do understand what you mean, I've read a few "farm" novel on NU. The ones I did read I really enjoyed them but most of them were dropped and never finished translating.
I've watched some of the episodes for that!
Then I stopped because I heard a season 2 was coming out and I chose to wait so I could binge watch.
orz
I need to watch it from the beginning again.

The bit where he found out where the egg came out of was funny.
X

Nahrenne

Ah, I think that was the first one?
Oh?
It was?
I see...well, I need to finish that.
I think the main reason I stopped was because my PS3 controller was going doolally and I needed a new one.
X

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I've watched some of the episodes for that!
Then I stopped because I heard a season 2 was coming out and I chose to wait so I could binge watch.
orz
I need to watch it from the beginning again.

The bit where he found out where the egg came out of was funny.
X
It's a really good farm anime. I wish there were more similar to it, it was really funny but at the same time can make you really appreciate the serenity of a farm.