What have been the worst comments or hot takes you have received?

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Let's try for a moment to laugh about the bad times we had.

In my case it was once, on another webpage, a comment that my novel was not inclusive enough or "woke".

Although my novel at no time tries to appeal to that audience; my novel is even largely military or war themed. Besides the fact that in the same story the protagonist who was a man ends up becoming a fox girl, there is a goddess who lives with the protagonist because she wants to live with a family and a normal life, a succubus with severe mental problems trying to recover by living a peaceful life and a mermaid who spends most of her time in a wheelchair so you could say she is disabled and needs the help of others in order to live, what more inclusion do you want?

All because what? because there was a need people of different skin color in my novel?

The main character is albino after the transformation, the succubus has blue skin and another character is completely made of glass.

Oh for sure you meant "dark people" well in that step all the characters in the army that I didn't detail what they look like because I was busy writing what happened in battle that appears are black.

The best part was that the solution I was offered was to collaborate and co-write with him to correct the mistakes I made and be truly inclusive.

Then I have another one like this one here:

Okay f*ck it, I'm done. I had hoped that perhaps the writing would improve, you would finally learn how to stick to one tense, use grammar understandable enough to enable people to read this story without staring at paragraphs for 15 minutes trying to figure out what the f*ck is being said here. That didn't get fixed, but the story was still interesting. That is until you dropped whatever the f*ck this is in it completely out of nowhere! Who are these people? Why should I care about them? Why does the main character suddenly have an island? Can we get back to the plot? It's like you don't know what you want to write, so you just write everything you can think of but you just end up with an incoherent mess, it's SO bad that you have to stare at a paragraph for minutes at a time to piece together what the f**k is happening from context clues. Also the author does this stupid thing where they make it seem like multiple people are talking but in reality it's just one person.. Also for f*ckS sake! Make! It! Clearer! Who! The! f*ck! Says! What!!!!!

THE WHOLE OH I'M GOING TO PUT THESE "" IN FRONT OF AND AT THE END OF EVERY LINE MAKES IT SEEM LIKE YOU'RE WRITING A DIALOG BUT IT'S ALL THE SAME PERSON TALKING! JUST PUT ONME AT THE BEGINNING OF WHAT THEY SAY AND ONE AT THE END; THAT IS IT!!!!!

Well genius, this is not the airport, there is no need to announce your departure.

Regarding the complaints, my novel is quite long, so from the beginning I left many things unrevealed because all that will be revealed little by little throughout the story, sorry for not telling who was the final villain in the first paragraph of the story.

And the dialogue, I have even more doubts, it is written as a visual novel, each paragraph is a single person talking, and if there are only two people talking, it is assumed that each jump is one person stopping and the other starting to talk.

I could go on and on, but I would like to see what stories you have of bad comments or where they are clearly just meant to hurt because you sure write better than them.

Last edited:

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Well genius, this is not the airport, there is no need to announce your departure.
LMFAO! AHAHAHAHAHA! That's really funny!:blob_joy::blob_joy::blob_joy:

Hilarity aside, I actually have not gotten a terrible comment. I had a few stupid ones from a Discord acquaintance who I am pretty sure is a young kid who should not be on the internet because let me tell you, he just exudes 'I'm not mature enough to be on here' energy. Though his comments was just his personal opinion. It wasn't really baseless. My thing was just not his thing.
But yeah. I'm not popular enough to get those people. Got like 71 readers here on SH and 46 on RR, so... yeah. Besides, my tags, book cover, and synopsis dissuade most from checking out my story. You'll understand why if you go to my front page and check those three things out.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Ah, yes. The modern audiences that demand a disclaimer and then scream hack writer when the plot twists got destroyed by the disclaimer they demanded...

Worst take I suffered through was during an editing job where this dood didn't want me to pay the full sum because I "only edited half of his text". I should have charged double for that one...

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
The worst hot take was a review that talked about people in the comments who were shipping a character with the MC.

Honorable mentions are the comments that were hating on the MC for being evil. The story had the "Evil Protagonist" tag.

Kaze_NG

All comments from the same person:

Chapter 1
wtf is this intro bro

why am i even reading this?

FIX IT

Chapter 3
just fix the intro, everything else is good, writing is getting better. (deleted by commenter)

Chapter 4
worst plot i have ever seen. worse then novels on webnovel.com

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
All comments from the same person:

Chapter 1
wtf is this intro bro

why am i even reading this?

FIX IT

Chapter 3
just fix the intro, everything else is good, writing is getting better. (deleted by commenter)

Chapter 4
worst plot i have ever seen. worse then novels on webnovel.com
So it was the worst plot ever, yet they read to chapter 4? Were they hate reading or something?

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
Let's try for a moment to laugh about the bad times we had.

In my case it was once, on another page, a comment that my novel was not inclusive enough or "woke".

Although my novel at no time tries to appeal to that audience; my novel is even largely military or war themed. Besides the fact that in the same story the protagonist who was a man ends up becoming a fox girl, there is a goddess who lives with the protagonist because she wants to live with a family and a normal life, a succubus with severe mental problems trying to recover by living a peaceful life and a mermaid who spends most of her time in a wheelchair so you could say she is disabled and needs the help of others in order to live, what more inclusion do you want?

All because? because there were people of different skin color in my novel?

The main character is albino after the transformation, the succubus has blue skin and another character is completely made of glass.

Oh for sure you meant "dark people" well in that step all the characters in the army that I didn't detail what they look like because I was busy writing what happened in battle that appears are black.

The best part was that the solution I was offered was to collaborate and co-write with him to correct the mistakes I made and be truly inclusive.

Then I have another one like this one here:

Regarding the complaints, my novel is quite long, so from the beginning I left many things unrevealed because all that will be revealed little by little throughout the story, sorry for not telling who was the final villain in the first paragraph of the story.

And the dialogue, I have even more doubts, it is written as a visual novel, each paragraph is a single person talking, and if there are only two people talking, it is assumed that each jump is one person stopping and the other starting to talk.

I could go on and on, but I would like to see what stories you have of bad comments or where they are clearly just meant to hurt because you sure write better than them.
Yes, but, uhm ... I will just have to add on that note with the dude trying to squeeze his butt into your story, if it had been me, my answer might have looked a bit like this: "LIKE HELL YOU'RE GONNA PUT YOUR GREASY CHURROW FINGERS ON MY STORY, TRY AND I WILL CUT THEM OFF."
Something along those lines I'd imagine. Nothing grand.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
I don't think I've received an out and out BAD comment yet, but I'd have to say the most bittersweet one I received was a flash of ire against one of my characters several chapters before her arc really begins.

It was bitter because I felt the pain through the comment. But it was slightly sweet because in order to have done that I had to channel well the hellfire that was my own transitional journey.

Emotion is like a fire, scathing through its cleanse.

I have encountered comments that probably more adequately fit what this forum post was expecting, but I didn't see them as bad, more like feedback about how, um, intensely I tapped into the first person perspective. I think the book would probably have been more palatable in third person, thinking back on it. But it being in first person helped me through so much...

I think I should write a happier book one of these days :) For those whom I've forged fond memories with who don't want to get stabbed by Pre-Friendship-Is-Magic Luna ^w^

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
I talked to one of my clients about the videos I made on youtube. Bad move. When he goes off his meds he stalks me. He thinks he's god.
No. Not a god. THE God. Of Abraham. You think I'm weird? I was surprised when he showed up here a few months back.
Hey. I got some monospace if you wanna scare the fucker off. *opens jacket and gestures toward the inside pockets*

What do you say? >:3

expentio

The one that hit me the most was how one guy warned any following readers from reading further, giving me an advanced review that was on every point 0,5 stars, because he read till the first chapter that was even titled as a pure "Character introduction". At least I got the advanced part down, because not going past the first lines is no sufficient base for a review.

Though, somewhat irritated I was about this one:

"I'm sorry if my IMHO offends you, but...
The chapters come out so slowly, and the plot develops even more slowly, that it becomes boring, and if you consider that everyone perfectly understands that the MC will run away, then it’s also not interesting, and when it’s boring and not interesting, then I personally say goodbye to this fairy tale .
I hope you will draw at least some conclusions so as not to lose all readers.
Good luck."

"I'm sorry if this offends you, but readers have been waiting for this chapter for a whole week, and you published this nonsense. You could post side chapters as a bonus in the middle of the week. Readers will be pleasantly surprised, not disappointed with their patience."

Not sure if he's begging me to write more and just not being very good at addressing that wish.
Also, the classic "Don't be offended + insult" combination. Today most people are aware enough to know if they say something offensive.

Also, also, I'm not doing any kind of monetization in a pure hobby work. Where exactly comes the idea from to feel entitled to more chapters?

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
I talked to one of my clients about the videos I made on youtube. Bad move. When he goes off his meds he stalks me. He thinks he's god.
No. Not a god. THE God. Of Abraham. You think I'm weird? I was surprised when he showed up here a few months back.
You didn't pass God's test, sorry

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Yes, but, uhm ... I will just have to add on that note with the dude trying to squeeze his butt into your story, if it had been me, my answer might have looked a bit like this: "LIKE HELL YOU'RE GONNA PUT YOUR GREASY CHURROW FINGERS ON MY STORY, TRY AND I WILL CUT THEM OFF."
Something along those lines I'd imagine. Nothing grand.

I currently use his spine as a trophy on the wall, next to the letters "do not disturb the cook".

Ah, yes. The modern audiences that demand a disclaimer and then scream hack writer when the plot twists got destroyed by the disclaimer they demanded...

Worst take I suffered through was during an editing job where this dood didn't want me to pay the full sum because I "only edited half of his text". I should have charged double for that one...

An editor's job is just to correct and maybe add a little bit to something that was lacking development?

I mean, that's why it's different from the Writer's job, because that's the one who is supposed to write the story, not just tell a main idea for the rest to write from there.

I have encountered comments that probably more adequately fit what this forum post was expecting, but I didn't see them as bad, more like feedback about how, um, intensely I tapped into the first person perspective. I think the book would probably have been more palatable in third person, thinking back on it. But it being in first person helped me through so much...

I think I should write a happier book one of these days :) For those whom I've forged fond memories with who don't want to get stabbed by Pre-Friendship-Is-Magic Luna ^w^

The best advice I can give is to write what you want to write, if you like it in the first person, do it.

Advice from a person who added a mermaid to the plot just because he saw Monster Mosume.

The one that hit me the most was how one guy warned any following readers from reading further, giving me an advanced review that was on every point 0,5 stars, because he read till the first chapter that was even titled as a pure "Character introduction". At least I got the advanced part down, because not going past the first lines is no sufficient base for a review.

Though, somewhat irritated I was about this one:

"I'm sorry if my IMHO offends you, but...
The chapters come out so slowly, and the plot develops even more slowly, that it becomes boring, and if you consider that everyone perfectly understands that the MC will run away, then it’s also not interesting, and when it’s boring and not interesting, then I personally say goodbye to this fairy tale .
I hope you will draw at least some conclusions so as not to lose all readers.
Good luck."

"I'm sorry if this offends you, but readers have been waiting for this chapter for a whole week, and you published this nonsense. You could post side chapters as a bonus in the middle of the week. Readers will be pleasantly surprised, not disappointed with their patience."

Not sure if he's begging me to write more and just not being very good at addressing that wish.
Also, the classic "Don't be offended + insult" combination. Today most people are aware enough to know if they say something offensive.

Also, also, I'm not doing any kind of monetization in a pure hobby work. Where exactly comes the idea from to feel entitled to more chapters?

My God, I've never seen such a demanding bastard with a free product.

Even if it were monetized, the work already done is the chapters written and published, no "on the page it says 2 chapters a week". fuck you.

Do complementary chapters, what the fuck! seriously!

Nothing says "work as a slave for my personal entertainment and for free" like that!

I would stop posting for a whole month specifically stating the cause to be that comment so that everyone would be waiting because of him.

Thank God I don't have readers who are picky about my schedule, because the truth is my schedule is a lottery. One time I don't publish anything for two months without saying anything, then I'll put out 5 chapters a week the next just because I was excited and didn't say anything either.

Last edited:

Amon_Lock

A reader made a head canon of my novel in his head and posted long comments about how one of characters ability should have worked. He made me read allat long but wrong comments. Like bro... He overcomplicated a thing that should have been simple. holy sheet

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
A reader made a head canon of my novel in his head and posted long comments about how one of characters ability should have worked. He made me read allat long but wrong comments. Like bro... He overcomplicated a thing that should have been simple. holy sheet
This is kind of a blessing in disguise, in another light. Like he might have been an arse but he was invested as SIN.

What book is this btw? I'm intrigued.

Stealthy_Enigma

(❀⁠≽ᆺ≼)⊃~~~~✧ ꧁Floofy Ninja!!!꧂
Someone said they felt like the love interest was taking advantage of my character (for her money), even though said love interest is an heir to an ancient clan and even owns a mansion.
(✿;≧∇≦;)

melchi

What is a custom title?
Talking head syndrome is a valid criticism. The dude could say that without all the ranting though.

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
But to tell a story of my own: I've started writing ten years back, pretty late for my case, with FanFictions to an online game for little girls. I thought it was shittily written and even I could do better... so I did. Anyway, I kind of rose to infamy within the forum exclusive to the game and especially cracked heads with the mods and their friends on there a lot. During an official, site related, but forum-mod-hosted writing contest about two years ago, I submitted a story I have been writing for a few years now. It is the only project I haven't dropped during my longlasting writer's block, but alas, I'm updating it every 6 to 18 months with one chapter at a time.
Well, it's a fantasy story, which counted exacty five chapters and a prologue back when that contest was held. It was official, with prizes from the site, as far as I remember it, so they should have done a more or less objective review. But they simply hacked down on whatever they could - or could not - find in my story.
For example: The protagonist has mental trouble, it's related to who he is, as it is a fantasy story, but he doesn't know that. He's 17 and insecure, he wouldn't go and tell his parents that he has hallucinations. One day, pretty early on (again, five chapters and a prologue), he witnesses a freak accident in a mall and sees a girl his age die quite brutally in front of his eyes. He has problems, not gonna lie. But he denies them. The parents also let him have a few days, because you can't get up right away when you fall and even if you should get the help of a therapist, you should still have time to calm down first. Unless it is dire and you should get into a closed ward.
Now he's still like: What will talking help?
And they all came and BERATED me, about how I portrayed it badly, because a lot of teenagers his age would feel just like that and maybe feel as if that was the right thing. One of them skipped to the end of the story that wasn't even there yet, telling me that some stories don't have happy ends, but I should warn readers about that. And if I didn't want to or couldn't read up on the topic of mental health, maybe I shouldn't write about it. And in being something a lot of people can relate to, meaning it should be realistic, it is badly written, and I don't understand the topic of mental health at all, unlike them.
But yeah, like, it literally JUST happened. Give the boy room to breath. Literally a chapter later it would have been a topic. Of course, they wouldn't know that - but that's it. They were looking for a way to discredit the story however they could. One even emulated my way of writing reviews, which is very detailed, in that I point out problems I find, explain why they are a problem, give examples from the author's text, write examples of how it could work out if you changed this or that in case you want to keep it the way it is for the most part, and do that also to highlight why it didn't work the way it was written down. They say that wasn't constructive. So one just copied that style - to their detriment, that's the kind of review I'm working best with, because then I know where the problems lie and can determine if I even think it's a valid problem. In this case, it served me in debunking every single point with logic and arguments.
I mean, one point was literally: The characters are all okay [...] just that one character is kind of weird [no explanation] so in conclusion, all of the relationships in the story are kind of toxic.
Me: Whut are you saying, you Donut? :blob_popcorn_two:
And the same person said that my "comparisons", which are actually metaphors or stylistic devices in general, were all quite bad. In one scene, the scene were the teenager dies, in this instance she dies by an advertisment coming down when one of its cables snaps, crushing her head while swinging back and forth. And the sound that made, in the eerie silence on the scene, is explained by the protagonist as the sound that a pair of old swings on a playground would make, swinging back and forth softly in the wind. She literally said that it was too specific to "just explain what it sounded like, if you think readers don't know the word, you could use another [insert random other word for "creaking"]." When the whole scene was actually to set the atmosphere and paint a picture associated with something positive and peaceful, pitted against the gruesome scenario the protagonist was actually facing. I mean, there was a girl lying around with her mind so open, her brain was leaking all over the floor tiles.
I know, it's kind of hard to follow like this, especially since it was written in a different language originally, but I do believe one should be able to undestand what a stylistic device is. It was ridiculous to even read that bug report coming from her.
I mean, she didn't even read the story properly. I know that, because another point of hers was how all the characters were going against each others expressed will. I.e. with the best friend of the protagonist bantering in a text message when he is sick and she says she would come visit him. He THINKS he would maybe not want visitors, but first of all he's following up with how it wouldn't be that bad, and more importantly, he never says it at all. She couldn't tell it was a thought, apparently. And not, since it was written in first person, his thoughts weren't marked as direct speech. Another time was the unhealthy (on purpose) portrayed relationship between protagonist and his twin brother, who relies on him too much. He accepted this position of being a crutch so much, though they are the same age in reality, that he feels bad about doing something important to himself, that he needs to do, because he knows his brother will "have to" tag along and won't actually like it. She interprets it as the protagonist forcing his brother. Find the issue with that take yourself. :blob_facepalm:

Anyway, it doesn't get any smarter. I believe that was the most stupid take I have ever gotten on a story. And that includes a review on Amazon that asked a question regarding the book it reviewed, to which the answer was so boldly spelled out in the novel itself, I only had to open the doc of the entire book and type in the frame of the question he had posed to get a section in which the protagonist answers that exact question directly. Because I knew it would be something people have gripes with, I made sure to address it. Reader didn't read it. Somehow missed it. I have no idea how. Maybe it was too obvious.
But that's not a take in and of itself, it's just a stupid comment overall, so I thought it was worth the honorable mention.