What I learned from launching my novel

otosewrites

Hi fellow authors!

Yesterday I launched my first web series on ScribbleHub, and (to my surprise) it did pretty well. I got 776 views and 27 readers on the first day, which is better than some of the other first-day stats I've seen. So I thought I'd write up a post to share what I did right and what I did wrong.

Here's the series for reference: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/519362/jiro-and-the-bathhouse-of-desire/

What I did right

On day one, most people will find your novel through the Latest Releases section of the website. All that shows up there is your book title and your cover, so I made sure that these were good.
  • For the title (Jiro and the Bathhouse of Desire), I tried to pick something that would (a) make potential readers curious and (b) also hint at the kind of content inside the book.
  • I did the same thing as above for the cover. I used Canva software to make the cover, and it probably took thirty minutes or less in total. Many people seem to post books without covers, but (for better or worse) the cover makes a huge difference in whether people will click through.
After people click through, the next thing they will see is your blurb. Again, I tried to make this (a) interesting and (b) suggestive of what the story will promise. What I did not do was copy-paste from the first chapter or add a long, boring description of my character's history. I spent more time on this than the cover, though in practice I think the cover is probably more important? Not sure.

That's it! That's all I did: I picked a good title, made a good cover, and wrote a good blurb.

By the way, doing a rough calculation, about 10% of people who saw the blurb clicked through to read my first chapter. And of those people, about a third decided to follow my novel. I don't know if this is a good number, but I did try really hard to make Chapter 1 interesting enough to hook the reader.

Another thing I did was post three chapters on the first day. I'm not sure how important this is. It's probably a good idea because it will encourage new readers to follow you (just one chapter probably isn't enough).

What I did not do

Here are some things I've seen other people do that I did not do personally.
  • I didn't write to meet demand. I don't like the idea of writing just to get views, so I picked a story concept that interested me personally. It's a mixed-genre piece that's probably different from what people are used to reading, but the idea of doing a web series wouldn't have been interesting to me otherwise. If you're someone who has interests that align with the most popular genres, then lucky you!
  • I didn't swap reviews or ask for shoutouts. Because I'm naturally a shy person. But also because asking people to do this makes me feel uncomfortable.
What I could have done better

One thing that I think I did wrong was to write a blurb that was too long. If the blurb is too long, then part of it is hidden from the reader when they look at your novel page (on mobile at least). Maybe this isn't so important, but I do think one should make it as easy as possible for the reader. In the end, I edited my blurb to be short enough so that all the interesting parts appeared "above the fold."

Actually write a good story

This goes without saying, but you need to be able to write well before any of this matters. In the long run, I'm guessing that's what really matters. Having a good story. However, in the short run, doing well at launch can help keep you motivated to write more.

I hope that helps! Also curious to hear about how you guys launched your series.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Hi fellow authors!
Yesterday I launched my first web series on ScribbleHub, and (to my surprise) it did pretty well. I got 776 views and 27 readers on the first day, which is better than some of the other first-day stats I've seen. So I thought I'd write up a post to share what I did right and what I did wrong.

Here's the series for reference: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/519362/jiro-and-the-bathhouse-of-desire/

What I did right

On day one, most people will find your novel through the Latest Releases section of the website. All that shows up there is your book title and your cover, so I made sure that these were good.
  • For the title (Jiro and the Bathhouse of Desire), I tried to pick something that would (a) make potential readers curious and (b) also hint at the kind of content inside the book.
  • I did the same thing as above for the cover. I used Canva software to make the cover, and it probably took thirty minutes or less in total. Many people seem to post books without covers, but (for better or worse) the cover makes a huge difference in whether people will click through.
After people click through, the next thing they will see is your blurb. Again, I tried to make this (a) interesting and (b) suggestive of what the story will promise. What I did not do was copy-paste from the first chapter or add a long, boring description of my character's history. I spent more time on this than the cover, though in practice I think the cover is probably more important? Not sure.

That's it! That's all I did: I picked a good title, made a good cover, and wrote a good blurb.

By the way, doing a rough calculation, about 10% of people who saw the blurb clicked through to read my first chapter. And of those people, about a third decided to follow my novel. I don't know if this is a good number, but I did try really hard to make Chapter 1 interesting enough to hook the reader.

Another thing I did was post three chapters on the first day. I'm not sure how important this is. It's probably a good idea because it will encourage new readers to follow you (just one chapter probably isn't enough).

What I did not do

• I didn't write to meet demand. I don't like the idea of writing just to get views, so I picked a story concept that interested me personally. It's a mixed-genre piece that's probably different from what people are used to reading, but the idea of doing a web series wouldn't have been interesting to me otherwise. If you're someone who has interests that align with the most popular genres, then lucky you!
  • I didn't swap reviews or ask for shoutouts. Because I'm naturally a shy person. But also because asking people to do this makes me feel uncomfortable.

One thing that I think I did wrong was to write a blurb that was too long. If the blurb is too long, then part of it is hidden from the reader when they look at your novel page (on mobile at least). Maybe this isn't so important, but I do think one should make it as easy as possible for the reader. In the end, I edited my blurb to be short enough so that all the interesting parts appeared "above the fold."

This goes without saying, but you need to be able to write well before any of this matters. In the long run, I'm guessing that's what really matters. Having a good story. However, in the short run, doing well at launch can help keep you motivated to write more.

I hope that helps! Also curious to hear about how you guys launched your series.
More people should do self reflections like this

Seeing you worded it as 'launch' I'm just curious what would happen if they titled their novel 'Challenger' or 'Titanic'.

Oreo

The next step is to have your novel stolen by [redacted]

Cedestroyer

Hi fellow authors!

What I did right

What I did not do

I tried making my chapters short so that I can post per day (300-1000 words~) and it appears on recent updates more frequently, seems to be working well. Surprised that I got almost 2k views on launch.

otosewrites

I tried making my chapters short so that I can post per day (300-1000 words~) and it appears on recent updates more frequently, seems to be working well. Surprised that I got almost 2k views on launch.
Wow, that's really impressive. I've been wanting to try shorter chapters, but I am having a hard time keeping the length down in a way that is also satisfying to readers.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
The length of the chapters depends on the type of story. And the author. It is very subjective.

Also, IMO, it is not recent updates that are relevant, but search results by tags that are sorted by "more recent" A popular tag and daily chapters will help quite a lot.

Cedestroyer

Wow, that's really impressive. I've been wanting to try shorter chapters, but I am having a hard time keeping the length down in a way that is also satisfying to readers.
Perseverance is the toughest part too. If you decide to make longer chapters, you have to be prepared that it can have low viewership. Best thing IMO is just to enjoy what you write.