What inspired you to write?

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
I still wanna make games in the future myself, just... Well, in the future, when I have a stable financial situation and enough money to spare on making an indie game that might very well flop.

Take it from someone whose made games as a hobby for 20 years and tried to make it into a career for the past 10: passion projects don't sell unless you get really lucky. Just like webnovels, where you have to consider the title, the description, the tags, etc. to get attention, so too do you need to consider the marketing artwork, the banners, the tags, the thumbnail, YouTube personalities, getting the press to do a story on it, etc. for your game. If I have to do all that and make a game, then I might as well write a webnovel and leverage that stuff while I keep gaming as a hobby until I can actually get enough money to turn it into an actual business. That is where I am coming from. I love making games, but not as a business.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Take it from someone whose made games as a hobby for 20 years and tried to make it into a career for the past 10: passion projects don't sell unless you get really lucky. Just like webnovels, where you have to consider the title, the description, the tags, etc. to get attention, so too do you need to consider the marketing artwork, the banners, the tags, the thumbnail, YouTube personalities, getting the press to do a story on it, etc. for your game. If I have to do all that and make a game, then I might as well write a webnovel and leverage that stuff while I keep gaming as a hobby until I can actually get enough money to turn it into an actual business. That is where I am coming from. I love making games, but not as a business.
*nod nod nod* Steam isn't as nice as Scribblehub in advertising your work for you, you gotta do it yourself~

I don't have a clue about how to advertise and get my game known, so there's no way I'd try making one seriously before learning that much~

I love writing, and that's what I plan on making for a living... Making games can be a dream for the far away future~

blanksphere

Hmm... at one point, I was looking for fun webnovels to read but couldn't find any I wanted. And, the ones I liked weren't finished with translation or wasn't complete. I figured, instead of me waiting around for good stories to come out, why don't I just write my own? I can't complain about waiting for myself.
I know I haven't posted anything yet but they're coming (after I get the cover art done from an actual artist)! Honestly... I had thought about it, practice drawing for ten years, maybe twenty years? Then I could make my own cover art...

BackWoodsJ_ACK

Birbs, dog, and burbers
Started as practice for my creative writing class in high school before becoming a hobby. Because of writing I enjoyable force myself to read and research more in order to enhance my characters and their environment. I've learned more stuff writing than English class ever taught.

Plus, there's the ever so distant dream of one day translating my stories to japanese to become a manga or anime.

Call it dumb but hey, it's a goal.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Plus, there's the ever so distant dream of one day translating my stories to japanese to become a manga or anime.

Call it dumb but hey, it's a goal.
... I think you have better chances of hiring someone to make a webcomic adaptation of your novel instead.

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
What's your motivation to write? Did someone inspire you to write? Are they still your inspiration? What changes have you experienced when comparing the you prior to writing than to the current you now?
My motivation to write... Because I saw how shitty attack on titan's ending was. Don't get me wrong, Isayama is a really fucking good artist, but I doubt that he himself wanted the ending to be like that. I can only guess that he was forced to change it in order to avoid genocide-y stuff.

My inspiration was Isayama, seeing as how I want my story to be logical and immersive even in a fantasy world. As for him still being my inspiration... Yes and no? Yes because I want to walk the same path, to be logical and immersive, but no because I don't want to make an ending that people will say "Well that was shit".

Changes? I just started writing XD

lambchap

The stories I've read or was reading didn't satisfy me anymore. So I wrote one for myself.

Other reasons. The voice in my head is just too loud. So writing is my kind of outlet other than drawing. I let my thoughts bleed through this activity.

JK-Sama

Gunbuster was the main inspiration for me wanting to write cool sci-fi stuff in 2012. A couple of years later in 2014 I binge-watched most of the Universal-Century Gundam series with a bigger urge to write a mecha space opera.

In early 2019 I finished watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which would later serve as the basis for most of my setting, mechas still included.

Then the final inspiration struck by Carlo Zen and his Saga of Tanya the Evil light novels/the anime around September-October 2019, and I finally got around to writing the first draft of my Saga fiction, though the focus on mechas was omitted so it was mainly space navies and small attack craft inspired by LotGH's.

Additionally Gundam: The Origin had a couple plot points that served as an influence for one of my later volumes.