What is a Dungeon Core?

Pyrrhic

An object, usually some form of gemstone, that functions as the brain and/or heart of the dungeon, most often found at the end of of the deepest layer. Storywise the main function of the core is to provide a weakness to what is essentially a sentient cave with the power of a demigod, allowing the dungeon to be threatened without involving forces that remake the local landscape

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Can someone explain to me what a dungeon core? Honestly have no idea. I thought I would have figured it out by myself now, but I still honestly have no idea. I know I could just read a dungeon core story, but I already have a list of things I want to get to reading and this is faster than that.
Dungeon cores to dungeons are like balls to a man

SuperHeiyan

It is silly mechanic from quite old game named Dungeon Keeper, made to be player weakness on purpose and having soul of the Dungeon Keeper (player) inside. Somehow japanese author decided that it was cool to make self inserts into Dungeon Core (to be honest, not only them, but they made much more stories about it) and eventually it's evolved into some kind of magic AI of the dungeon in their stories where main character is not necessary stored inside, and because japanese it often ended to have female personafication.

Lorelliad

I'm back
The core of a dungeon? I don't know how else to describe it lmao

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺

I feel dumb for not linking this sooner. TVTropes has all the answers, in reality. Any attempts to ad lib are wasted.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
heart and mass and magic coverter

aattss

Basically, it's a way for people to harm/control/destroy RPG dungeons if they can manage to get through the whole thing. Specifically, in the cases where the dungeon is its own entity as opposed to just controlled by the final boss monster, or where the dungeon has some sort of physical embodiment like a master control node or such.