What is Royal Road good for?

Kenjona

Royal Road to me is another access to novels on the web I can read. Increasing my choices, and allowing me to be pickier about what I want to read.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
I'll be honest. I came from RR. That's like the first website fiction I experienced. I was dazzled by their top works. I wrote stuff there when I was still a newly awakened noob, now I am like a mature noob, I never got a review or a comment for my fiction there. My progress is very slow, so yeah, it ain't friendly to noobs. Though if I want a reason, I stayed in SH, because I prefer SH's author dashboard and 'edit chapter' panel.

KittraMcBriar

I write weird, often girly, often very gay fiction and so far I love posting on RR. Good quality feedback and more of it than I get pretty much anywhere else.
However, none of my stories have super taken off there, so that may be the only reason I haven’t gotten hate yet.

EternalFortune

Good at making you feel that you write sh*t, your life is sh*t, and you should eat sh*t.

Seriously.

I've also been there and still recently am. Some are great reviews, but they mostly go, "Meh, I don't like this. So I'll give it bad ratings!" While the other that likes it don't even bother to rate and goes like, "I like it, the rating can eat shit." While those new readers will take a note of the ratings doubting whether it's good or not, most of them skip it.

TLDR; It's not a newbie-friendly. I went on hiatus and discontinued my series because the review hurt my newbie feelings most of the time. So I'm not recommending it for a hobbyist author that wants to write for fun...

A little rant here, but SH is a newbie-friendly, the same with WN, but, well, if you want to toughen up your mentality and increase your writing skill the hard way, I will recommend you to post there.
Anyway, the choice is yours, but if you can ignore the hate review, rating, and comment. you can actually get more diverse readers by posting it there since there are more readers in RR than SH