What is Royal Road good for?

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
Looking into maybe writing more again. I know some of you left Royal Road, but for those who still use it, what made you decide to stay? What genre do you focus on? Do you find more stories with the genre you are writing in on Royal Road? Or not really?

I've been out of Royal Road for quite a while so idk how much has changed since. What are the pros and cons of the current Royal Road?

Thinking bout places to post besides ScribbleHub and Wattpad. Into fantasy, modern, dark, and maybe maybe sol, but not isekai, harem, litrpg, transmigration type of stories.

longer

Balls
I think it's alright for someone writing your genres. Sure they seem to like litrpgs quite a lot, but that's not the sole determining factor.

I personally don't like royal road much since a reasonable amount of readers there remind me of myself during my short elitist days. Heard things have been less bad recently though.

SailusGebel

I'm currently on hiatus, so I don't post at all, but I did post at RR. I wanted to expand my readership. That's why I posted there.
I write shitty smut.
No, people there dislike smut, and smut is prohibited.
I don't know.
I heard that RR likes fantasy, litrpg, everything dark, edgy, and mythological. And RR hates harem, romance, smut. Also, Discount_Blade says that RR has a better quality of works and critique, but I can't judge it. From my meager experience, it's not true.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I post some stuff on rr, save for fanfiction and smut. Comedy does much better than on here, and overall diversity of (non-smutty) book genres is greater.

Scribblehub is all about anime style novels, and smut. But the censorship here is nonexistent, and tag system is actually useful, as opposed to rr tag system which is pointless.

So as you can see, both sides have some overlap, and some pros and cons.

strayCat0

Other
RR is what western ns enjoyers and amateur writers go at. While SH never prefer certain demographic, it's inevitable that at least half of our readers and writers are of Asian WN/LN enjoyers because of its connection with NU.

About quality of works there and the critiques, I would say it's depend on how the majority write. I believe RR peeps are inclined on being(at least wanting to be) full-fledged writers and that's how they usually do and demand. It's different in SH, because there's lesser demand on WN/LN's prose and this and that. That's why you'll see some people here telling you that asking for critiques in forum is almost useless, except if you wanted help on grammars.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Looking into maybe writing more again. I know some of you left Royal Road, but for those who still use it, what made you decide to stay? What genre do you focus on? Do you find more stories with the genre you are writing in on Royal Road? Or not really?

I've been out of Royal Road for quite a while so idk how much has changed since. What are the pros and cons of the current Royal Road?

Thinking bout places to post besides ScribbleHub and Wattpad. Into fantasy, modern, dark, and maybe maybe sol, but not isekai, harem, litrpg, transmigration type of stories.
Let me make it easy for you:

Is your story fantasy/sci-fi LitRPG?
Is your story NOT LGBTQ+?
Does your story have very accurate portrayals of mythology so much so that it can be referenced from a scholarly perspective?
Does your story have hamfisted, heavy-handed discussions of philosophy that are generally skewed to favour one side?
Is your story free of that filthy harem rom-com us thirty-year-old wizards wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole?

If you say yes to at least two of the five, you're golden. Go ahead and post there.

Yes, I've copy-pasted the same response I've given to another guy asking if posting his story on RR was a good idea. I'm not gonna rephrase my earlier post just to say the same thing. If it ain't broke, I'm not wasting time fixing it.

TotallyHuman

It's a pretty good site. I like their user-friendly design and I actually (used to before I went on hiatus like a year ago) get more comments and ratings there than here. They favour litRPG and fantasy a lot. I have actually had a mod comment on my work there, so I guess their mods are more present there, though I am not sure if it's true, or if it's a good thing. Their writaphones are fun. I don't really know what else to say.

D

Deleted member 54065

Good at making you feel that you write sh*t, your life is sh*t, and you should eat sh*t.

Seriously.

120072219_2413465555625451_1163416435340143832_n.jpg

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Good at making you feel that you write sh*t, your life is sh*t, and you should eat sh*t.

Seriously.

That's kind of why I left. Some of the readers and writers are toxic towards anyone who writes differently from what they enjoy. There have been a few hate comments towards me for posting my current story there. I want to be a published writer eventually but I want the stories I write to be different from the literary norms, not the same shitty fantasy tropes that those at Royal Road enjoy. You are doing good Hans. Don't give in to their hate and elitism.

D

Deleted member 54065

I'm only judging from my own experience and reviews I received myself.
Sorry for that. My bad.
That's kind of why I left. Some of the readers and writers are toxic towards anyone who writes differently from what they enjoy. There have been a few hate comments towards me for posting my current story there. I want to be a published writer eventually but I want the stories I write to be different from the literary norms, not the same shitty fantasy tropes that those at Royal Road enjoy. You are doing good Hans. Don't give in to their hate and elitism.
Told the other thread that users there demand Pulitzer-prize winning stories from newbies...

Dang...that's really the norm there, is it?

Well, in any case, we both have the same goals in writing. Try to be different and develop our stories with TLC. 👌

D

Deleted member 54065

What's so bad about it? I am thick-skinned enough to ignore reviews that held no valuable critique. I even laughed at a couple of reviews I received there. Well, more like, I laughed at the moderation on their site and the overall 'quality' of readers.
Heh, you got that right.

One benefit I got from RR is that I started to develop a thick-skin towards feedback. Pick up what I need, throw away the useless ones.

It also led me to search new sites for uploading my work, hence, I got to know syosetsu and the other sites I said in the other thread. 😁

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Heh, you got that right.

One benefit I got from RR is that I started to develop a thick-skin towards feedback. Pick up what I need, throw away the useless ones.

It also led me to search new sites for uploading my work, hence, I got to know syosetsu and the other sites I said in the other thread. 😁
Agreed.

Comiak

Foxgirl enthusiast
My story gets more readers on RR about a million views there as opposed to seven hundred thousand here but that's probably due to there being a wider audience there. I do have to agree that the readers there are more elitist and have knee jerk reactions for daring to have certain concepts in your stories, and their justifications against that are laughable at best.

I can admit that I did not do some things well but they don't argue based on how something is done but the fact that it was done in the first place.

In short, if you want to reach a wider audience post there, assuming your story is somewhat aligned with what they want, but be ready to deal with elitist idiots.

Temple

Litrpg, isekai, progression fantasy in general works there.
Romance and LGBT+ stories are starting to work there because of tons of migrants from Wattpad. Before, there was no way romance will work (devs even think it's a waste of time to put specific pairing tags), but now I've seen it's starting to take a foothold and will continue to do so in the future as more Wattpad people come, and RR people open up to it. There are tons of LGBT+ stories there, people usually don't mind nowadays, like having an LGBT+ character in a fantasy story is no big deal. It's the LGBT+ Romance story that might be harder to sell than straight romance.
Smut is against the site policy. Devs want to cater to general ads so can't have outright smut. I think people go by like 10% sex scene or something? You can have sex scenes, the story just can't be outright smut.
As for the readers reaction, yep it can be pretty brutal. This is speaking from someone who's writing a story that's not under the preferred mainstream genres of either SH or RR. SH readers pretty chill. RR readers can be really aggressive. BUT, RR is really the best place for feedback. While there are trolls there, there are also tons of people who want to help out. That's kind of the tradeoff. If you want peace and quiet, can just stay here in SH.
If you're writing the usual fantasy stuff, especially progression fantasy, then there's no issue. If you're writing something way different, be prepared for negative feedback. I've lived through it. But then again, I wrote in RR like six years ago when The Group was still around. For those not familiar, way back in the early days of RR, there were sanctioned groups that reviewed stories. Obviously, that gave rise to elitist pricks. That's actually why RR culture is like this. The brutality and toxicity in RR now is a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of the past.
Can the "not usual stuff" work in RR? Yes. It's going to be very hard and painful journey, but it can.