What is the best writing advice you’ve ever come across and take it to heart?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
But 95% of writing ist just hard work. Learning the rules, learning story structure and tropes, writing as blue collar job without any artsy creativity.
bull-fucking-shit. only 25% of it is really hard work. the rest of them consist of 60% failure, 10% actually learning how to write, 3% inspiration gracing you with its rare presence, and 2% of discernible success. every word you put in is worthless shit. they're about as inspiring to the world as someone's grandmother's ashes. somehow, your efforts just seem like massive wastes to you, and you either give up on the spot or keep on putting in the work, because you've invested too much to waste the rest of the tasteless broth. if it compels you, you'd try to learn to improve your craft. you take in the advice of the success stories and apply to yours, only to come to the realization that you're treading on grounds constructed for someone born in a very different circumstance. even if you find yourself in the same starting line, you'd just be another lesser copy. a poor imitation. every once in a while, you'll get that spark that outshines reality. you put your pen down and you construct your magnum opus up to that point. you go to sleep, wake up, and, like a dreadful one night stand, realized what a horrible mistake you've done. like a neglected condom packet, you've written over your draft, and this is the shit you have now.

it is then when you realize you've barely written over 10k words that month. with only that word count, you've managed to outdo all your previous failure and made a concentrated piece of shit so dense that it holds a higher file size than your previous digital skidmarks.

but it's effort, right? you put in the work already. it must be worth something. you try to tell yourself that. you drag yourself to bite your lips and edit the piece, reading and cringing through all the shit prose and headache-inducing dialogue and make it at least presentable. you've thrown golden flakes onto a steaming pile of dog shit but hey, there's golden flakes, at least, right?

you put it out to the world.

then, like a blue moon, you get a notification. you found out about it tomorrow morning. a red number sitting atop the bell. you sighed, expecting more comments of yellow assholes biting cookies.

it's a review.

he likes your shit. he thinks the story is great and finds the characters interesting. he thinks that the dialogue, though spoken like Broadway, was conveyed in an infinitely entertaining way. he praised the world-building and claimed it to be up on the top 5 worlds he read in his library of webnovels.

that guy is a mere 1% from the 2% of the site's readerbase willing to drop more than a comment or a Favourite. among the hundreds and thousands of visitors, he found your story, liked it, loved it, and found himself enthusiastic about it enough to give his praises and thoughts about your work. of all the writers and works he could've purveyed, he chose yours, and spent no less than a paragraph gushing his heart out about it.

i live for that 2%.

Vicky

For me it’s this; “Don’t bore the reader. Writing must not be boring. It must not bore the reader, the writer. It must not bore anybody.”—Charles Bukowski

Oh, and also; “Forget about the sentences, just tell the damn story!”—James Patterson

What about you? Do you have a writing advice that you always take it to heart? Please share it with me~
Ah, you like Bukowski? Here I thought you were a clown.

:blob_shade:

Well, the most widespread advice that you will find is "Write what you like/love"
This is a line uttered by the majority of aspiring authors. Given that the overwhelming majority of aspiring authors fail at the craft, I have come to the realisation that it is really awful advice. It is mostly used as a cope mechanism by people unable to accept failure (we live in the attomic age, the age of participation awards.)

So instead, I have my own line of advice; Write something that people want to read, then craft it into something you can enjoy.

Aouliuo

"First draft = Second draft - 10%." - Stephen King

"Write the best story that you can and write it as straight as you can." - Ernest Hemmingway

"The least words necessary to bring something to life. That is writing." - Unknown

In other words, throw out the superfluous dross and learn to kill your darlings. Nurture the golden gooses, whatever they may be.

AdLeto

The best advice i can give is...
"Don't write just because you can, write because you must."
It means don't do a half baked story just because it's cool to write or because you are bored and don't have anything else to do.

BlackKnightX

I sometimes forget about sentences, but it doesn't make me immune to bitches pming me with lines like "ooo how could you not fix this grammar mistake don't you care about your work you must not" just fuck off bitch, I'm producing a chapter a day, ain't have time for pointless revisions
Wait, you don’t reread your story at all at least one time? That’s hardcore! 😂

For me, when I write, I just focus on telling a story, on the movement and momentum. Things seem to flow really well when I do that and it also shut down my lovely inner-critic.

Though, I would reread my work at least one time and revise and edit. I’m a newbie writer, so I really care about the flow of the story. If some line makes me stumble, I’ll edit it.

Of course, that doesn’t stop me from leaving some little mistakes for the readers to point out~ 😂
Have you ever heard the miniskirt theory? Not the one in stocks. The one about writing. You haven't. Allow me to tell you.

The miniskirt theory is about how you should write. Like a miniskirt you keep your writing short enough to make things interesting but long enough to cover the essentials.
Damn, that’s very interesting. It’s kinda similar to the iceberg theory, but miniskirt sounds better!

Also—you are a man of culture, eh~? 😏
You must first learn the rules - then you can learn how to break them.
Also, take all writing advice with a heavy dose of salt. Many authors don't know what they're doing either and will just say whatever to assure themselves that they do and that they're very smart.

So, considering how many newcomer authors write weak story openings using wake-up routines, the advice "don't open a story with a wake-up/morning routine scene - start it in the action" is fair as a soft "rule".
It encourages less confident writers to try other things and learn how to craft a more relevant and gripping opening.

But anyone who insists you can NEVER write wake-up openings and they're all drivel is a complete idiot, and very possibly an awful writer themselves.

Another good bit of advice I received is that writing is mostly editing, and that anything can be edited - therefore, there's no need to be afraid of a bad first draft.
The published books we're used to have undergone extensive editing and rewriting, often by multiple people. Their first drafts didn't look like that either.
So comparing your drafts to them and beating yourself up about it is as pointless as comparing your fresh-out-of-bed self to a celebrity on the red carpet.
I heard that one too. Though, I’m a rebellious at heart, so my first chapter fvcking start with the wake-up scene! 😂

And I also agree with editing. I like to write in a wild abandon and then edit the flow afterward. It makes me finishing my work really fast. Though, what slow me down is procrastination~ 😆
"Writing is not an art, it's a craft."

A lot of early writers wait for their inspiration, for the moment everything clicks into place and flows. But 95% of writing ist just hard work. Learning the rules, learning story structure and tropes, writing as blue collar job without any artsy creativity.
And in turn, this is something you can train and work on...
Totally agree with you on learning the craft. Before I finally found the confidence to start writing for real, I spent a shit tons of times learning about storytelling theories.

But you know what? When it’s time for me to write for real, all of that don’t matter one bit. The theories and knowledges out there are 98% overcomplicated bullshits.

From my experience, the actual writing is the best way to learn and writing is not complicated at all. The more you write and be aware of the feedback, the faster and easier you’ll learn what actually ticks.

Well, it does work for me at least~ 😆
You better write it someday instead of talking about it
-my friend
The best advice ever! Your friend’s a genius! 😂
There's not one lesson out there that have truly shaped my writing experience but I can tell you this: people here give more advice than they actually apply to their stories. Every second you spend telling people how to write here is a second wasted not writing yourself. No one here knows how to write. They only know how to reassure themselves that they can, indeed, write.

So my advice to you is this: write. You fucks spend way too much time talking about writing and not actually doing it.

In other news, I am also a hypocrite.
I’m totally agree with you, having experience all that for a lot of times and all.

Well for one, It happened when I started leaning English.

English is not my first language, but I wanna learn it since it‘s an international language, and reading in English sounds much better than in my language.

So when I started learning English, I just abandoned everything and cut myself out of the outside world completely. I just spent my time absorbing the language.

What I found out later was that, I spend a lot of times in that process browsing through advice after advice on the internet, mostly to reassure myself and I was aware and appreciate that.

I think reading advice to reassure you is great in moderation. I think we all know that we do the right thing already, but sometime you start to doubt whether you’re wanting your time. You start to feel a sense of fear creep into you, then you go looking for some advice to reassure you.

I think instead of criticizing it, these advices deserve to be appreciated more.

And also, fellow procrastinator, eh? Nice to meet you, my friend~ 😂
Take your time and write at your own pace.

That's the advice that works best for me, I guess.
Nice~ ❤️
bull-fucking-shit. only 25% of it is really hard work. the rest of them consist of 60% failure, 10% actually learning how to write, 3% inspiration gracing you with its rare presence, and 2% of discernible success. every word you put in is worthless shit. they're about as inspiring to the world as someone's grandmother's ashes. somehow, your efforts just seem like massive wastes to you, and you either give up on the spot or keep on putting in the work, because you've invested too much to waste the rest of the tasteless broth. if it compels you, you'd try to learn to improve your craft. you take in the advice of the success stories and apply to yours, only to come to the realization that you're treading on grounds constructed for someone born in a very different circumstance. even if you find yourself in the same starting line, you'd just be another lesser copy. a poor imitation. every once in a while, you'll get that spark that outshines reality. you put your pen down and you construct your magnum opus up to that point. you go to sleep, wake up, and, like a dreadful one night stand, realized what a horrible mistake you've done. like a neglected condom packet, you've written over your draft, and this is the shit you have now.

it is then when you realize you've barely written over 10k words that month. with only that word count, you've managed to outdo all your previous failure and made a concentrated piece of shit so dense that it holds a higher file size than your previous digital skidmarks.

but it's effort, right? you put in the work already. it must be worth something. you try to tell yourself that. you drag yourself to bite your lips and edit the piece, reading and cringing through all the shit prose and headache-inducing dialogue and make it at least presentable. you've thrown golden flakes onto a steaming pile of dog shit but hey, there's golden flakes, at least, right?

you put it out to the world.

then, like a blue moon, you get a notification. you found out about it tomorrow morning. a red number sitting atop the bell. you sighed, expecting more comments of yellow assholes biting cookies.

it's a review.

he likes your shit. he thinks the story is great and finds the characters interesting. he thinks that the dialogue, though spoken like Broadway, was conveyed in an infinitely entertaining way. he praised the world-building and claimed it to be up on the top 5 worlds he read in his library of webnovels.

that guy is a mere 1% from the 2% of the site's readerbase willing to drop more than a comment or a Favourite. among the hundreds and thousands of visitors, he found your story, liked it, loved it, and found himself enthusiastic about it enough to give his praises and thoughts about your work. of all the writers and works he could've purveyed, he chose yours, and spent no less than a paragraph gushing his heart out about it.

i live for that 2%.
Damn, that’s pretty wise.

Would’ve sound like Yoda if you type the sentence in reverse, though.

All these seem like a rambling of a drunk old man.

It’s too long, too impactful, too shitty, and too wise.

It‘s a very great wake-up call with shitty analogies and metaphors sprinkle here and there.

But I love it.

It sounds like a rambling of a drunk old man.

A wise drunk old man~
Ah, you like Bukowski? Here I thought you were a clown.

:blob_shade:

Well, the most widespread advice that you will find is "Write what you like/love"
This is a line uttered by the majority of aspiring authors. Given that the overwhelming majority of aspiring authors fail at the craft, I have come to the realisation that it is really awful advice. It is mostly used as a cope mechanism by people unable to accept failure (we live in the attomic age, the age of participation awards.)

So instead, I have my own line of advice; Write something that people want to read, then craft it into something you can enjoy.
Seems like you like Buk too, eh~? Here I thought you were a clown. 😎

Well, whatever you do just remember this; BIM BIM BIM.
"First draft = Second draft - 10%." - Stephen King

"Write the best story that you can and write it as straight as you can." - Ernest Hemmingway

"The least words necessary to bring something to life. That is writing." - Unknown

In other words, throw out the superfluous dross and learn to kill your darlings. Nurture the golden gooses, whatever they may be.
I love this. Well, mostly because I’m too lazy to write such beautiful prose. So, plain, short, simple, concise prose works best for me.

Also; “If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.” — Albert Einstein
The best advice i can give is...
"Don't write just because you can, write because you must."
It means don't do a half baked story just because it's cool to write or because you are bored and don't have anything else to do.
In other word, treat it like a job, right?

I half agree with what you said. For me, it’s 30% polish it and 70% burst of inspiration. It always was and it always will be.

Nice advice, though~ 👍🏻

Last edited:

Aouliuo

That's too long of a block of text to reply to for my mere mortal fingers.

@BlackKnightX I like simple prose as much as I like beautiful prose; they're both awesome in different ways. The main point was to keep it sweet~

Not necessarily short, but sweet. Follow our dear Buddha and keep to the middle way. Not too tight, not too lose, but just enough to sail and make it fun.

P.S. Thanks for the beautiful prose compliment :3

Last edited:

BlackKnightX

That's too long of a block of text to reply to for my mere mortal fingers.

@BlackKnightX I like simple prose as much as I like beautiful prose; they're both awesome in different ways. The main point was to keep it sweet~

Not necessarily short, but sweet. Follow our dear Buddha and keep to the middle way. Not too tight, not to lose, but just enough to sail and make it fun.

P.S. Thanks for the beautiful prose compliment :3
You’ve been enlightened~ 😂

CapituTheCat

"When writing, kill your babies" Basically it means to that you shouldn't be afraid to remove unnecessary parts during editing. Accept that you have to make those decisions. Some characters gotta go, some plot points may have to be complety erased.... but if it's for the benefit of your novel, it's worth it

Derin_Edala

The best piece of writing advice I've ever received was the first piece in a writing book whose name I've unfortunately forgotten. It said simply: Putting words on a page does not obligate anyone to read them.

A lot of people come into this hobby carrying the lesson we were told all throughout school -- writing Lots Of Words is Good Work, and effort deserves recognition. It's not something we believe consciously, but it's an assumption that underlies a lot of a beginner writer's plans, on their first few projects -- the idea that if they've written 150,000 words, an audience will magically manifest, because the story deserves one. Or that if they write a book better than [insert popular book], it will magically be read as widely as [popular book], or at the very least it will get published. None of that is true. People very frequently come into this hobby with a plan like "1) write a 150k word novel, 2) ???, 3) recognition!", and that's death. You gotta kill that perspective as quickly as possible.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
View attachment 9718
Also, you can't be everyone's cup of tea, so be someone's shot of whiskey.
In other words: write what you love, and someone else will also love it!
Its kinda shocking to me to see this. I have this as my wall paper for both my lap top and desk top. It didn't fit on my phone properly so that's the only reason I don't have it there as well. Amazing seeing this. Truly.

Now for my answer. Someone once told me to ignore the idiots constantly parroting "Show, don't tell" as legitimate writing advice and pretending they've said something useful and/or profound. I wholeheartedly agreed then and still do years later. I cringe nearly every time I see it now. I automatically ignore anyone trying to give advice if they lead with this.

BlackKnightX

"When writing, kill your babies" Basically it means to that you shouldn't be afraid to remove unnecessary parts during editing. Accept that you have to make those decisions. Some characters gotta go, some plot points may have to be complety erased.... but if it's for the benefit of your novel, it's worth it
Well, that’s true. If you want to write a gripping page-turner, then yes. But if you want to write a warm, fluffy, laidback slice of life, then no.
The best piece of writing advice I've ever received was the first piece in a writing book whose name I've unfortunately forgotten. It said simply: Putting words on a page does not obligate anyone to read them.

A lot of people come into this hobby carrying the lesson we were told all throughout school -- writing Lots Of Words is Good Work, and effort deserves recognition. It's not something we believe consciously, but it's an assumption that underlies a lot of a beginner writer's plans, on their first few projects -- the idea that if they've written 150,000 words, an audience will magically manifest, because the story deserves one. Or that if they write a book better than [insert popular book], it will magically be read as widely as [popular book], or at the very least it will get published. None of that is true. People very frequently come into this hobby with a plan like "1) write a 150k word novel, 2) ???, 3) recognition!", and that's death. You gotta kill that perspective as quickly as possible.
Nice. Though, I don’t really care about any of that. When I write, I only care about three things; Appeal, easy and quick, having fun.
Now for my answer. Someone once told me to ignore the idiots constantly parroting "Show, don't tell" as legitimate writing advice and pretending they've said something useful and/or profound. I wholeheartedly agreed then and still do years later. I cringe nearly every time I see it now. I automatically ignore anyone trying to give advice if they lead with this.
The “show, don’t tell” advice slowed me down greatly. I’ve now come to realize that it’s best to both show and tell in the story, depending on the right moment to do either of them and strike the balance.

For me, the best way to strike the balance is to visualize the scene in my head as if seeing a movie and then write it down.

Last edited:

Kitsura

Moreso life advice when it comes to creative work.

But we're all imitators, nobody creates anything original. The work we do is all a desperate bid to try and match up to the people we think are "good", and the funny part is that those people we admire, were trying to imitate their "greats" as much as we do.

BlackKnightX

Moreso life advice when it comes to creative work.

But we're all imitators, nobody creates anything original. The work we do is all a desperate bid to try and match up to the people we think are "good", and the funny part is that those people we admire, were trying to imitate their "greats" as much as we do.
Yep, it’s like a cycle. But the truly great people learn from the different sources. They combine all the knowledges and the things they’d learned together to create something new. That’s when they become great.

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
the best advice I have ever received was "be pedantic"

Don't try to be vague. Be specific. It gets the idea across more clearly.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
the best advice I have ever received was "be pedantic"

Don't try to be vague. Be specific. It gets the idea across more clearly.
well damn, i got another version of that. instead of "be pedantic", it's "stay focused". it never said anything about being specific or vague, but it did emphasize on "know what the fuck you want to do". the idea is that if you can pivot your writing on a concept or an idea or a goal, your writing would automatically orient the readers towards said idea via subliminal choices of words and sentence structures. the best parallel I can make for that advice is like saying a joke with different tones. you can either come across as exciting or sarcastic, depending on how you say something.

i think the "be pedantic" advice is given more on a technical level for more amateur, straight-forward writers that have no planned plots aside from a vague idea on where the story heads. helps them from straying far and end up babbling away.

Xeoz

Rather than forcing yourself to write a certain amount of words, just go write without caring about it. To put it simply, just freely write how you want.

EternalSunset0

I'm not sure if I can contribute anything that hasn't been said already. I haven't actually had a lot of writer friends, too, so I don't really get advice personally. I think the best one that I learned is that dialogue and character lines should ideally bring out personality or even a character's worldviews/perspectives on their own without the need for you to tell them to the reader. Not that I know how to apply it in my own work, since I struggle with dialogue and general creativity.

I think that's extremely valuable because in the stuff that I've read, one statement can be said in way different wordings depending on the character, and their personalities really shine depending on how they go about with it. That's something I really want to learn.

Although if I were to give advice to someone, I would also go with my own (probably not original but still) offshoot of the common "write for yourself" advice. For me, it's more of "write for learning and enjoyment," especially if you're new to the whole writing thing. A lot of people come in, write their stuff, get set to make the next big thing, then realize that only few people "win" before getting so bitter and hung up over it. If you come into writing with the goal of just learning the ropes and improving, you'll have a much easier time being satisfied.

I'd be more than willing to give you your participation prize if that's what will encourage you and prevent you from turning into one of those edgy critics, but you got to accept that not everyone "makes it" to the top and that it's ok not to be there.

Learning to cope with it is better than whining about why some things are popular. You'd probably expect me to pivot this to anime again, but I've seen the same in media of all sorts. Music, Hollywood blockbusters, even book series. At least, that way, you'd learn to settle and accept that something is popular instead of whining and talking shit about those "undeservingly popular genres."

Yeah, and I get that it's absolutely awful advice for people who actually want to write to be popular or make money or what, but I'm barely a competitive person irl, so that's the advice I can give you with all sincerity.