What is the biggest mistake a new writer can make?

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
I'd say my biggest mistake starting out was not planning. You don't need to go into detail and plan every little thing. but let's take my first posted story, Lay the Dragon, for instance. it started as a joke one shot from the old meme. but I added the twist that the dragon took on a humanoid form at the end. I ended up really liking the characters, so I continued it. But turning a one shot into a serial is a terrible idea because the pacing is COMPLETELY off.

SO I'd recommend at the very least, planning the end point and approximate length. as the story develops, you can change the estimated length, but knowing an approximate "I want it X chapters long" helps to set the pacing. You'll likely find that in the end, the story is X+/-15 chapters long.

Little to no planning the plots and/or the general direction of your series. That was the mistake I made when I first started.

I'm one of those that can't plan too much. it's a habit from my days as a DND DM. If I plan too much, it sucks the joy out of it, then my ADHD takes over and I end up procrastinating right through my scheduled time. However, I do take down major details. start with the premise and end goal. sprinkle in some twists and turns. estimate how many chapters that is, and start writing.

for my current run, DragonBound, the world already existed, so premise was "what if humanoid dragon had a child with a futanari?" Then the end goal was "Have kid grow up and become emperor." twists and turns were "kid's family gets kidnapped by anti-dragon faction," "kid captures princess of anti-dragon empire," and "kid takes empire from anti-dragon royal family." And I estimated about 30 chapters, +/-10. and right now, it's shaping up to be about 33, and gearing up for the final war because Kid and Anti-Dragon Empire.

Masked_writer

I am mostly just a reader, so i'll say don't have high hope for your work but do have a bar that you have to get to.

Sergeandgreen

One of the biggest mistakes new writers often make is not creating enough tension in their stories. Regardless of the genre, a compelling narrative usually involves a character with a primary goal and obstacles preventing easy achievement of that goal. Some writers fail to establish a clear primary goal for their characters, while others overlook the importance of secondary goals to maintain interest. Especially the secondary ones that get often used for character development are often neglected, making the Characters appear one dimensional and bland.

So if someone wants to start the story (Or I myself have a new idea), I would ask if the person can summarize it in one or two sentences. In these two sentences you usually describe the main plot, like killing the demon king, clearing the tutorial/Tower, winning the love intrest over or resolving severe personal issues of the character.

Then I ask why the character wants to archive that goal and what is hindering him from archiving it. And then I ask what the character does when he is not working on archiving that goal. (Humans are not robots that work 24/7 towards a single goal)

Depending on the genre these goals don't need to be printed on the mc's head for the reader to see but can be communicated in a more subtle way, but they have to be there and preferably not only after reaching chapter 100+.

If that is lacking, it doesn't really matter if the worldbuilding is good, or your fighting scenes are nice, because the story will get boring quite soon.

PancakesWitch

Trying to please readers at all. Only write what you like writing and leave all comments from readers as secondary, just because someone told you that you need to make your mc lose their virginity or make them do this or that or this, you dont need to do it. Write your own vision and have fun. If you try to please every reader that complains something doesnt go like they wanted it to go, your story will become an utter mess.

Panthers426

Honestly, not having fun. It's been my driving force since the beginning and I've seen other writers forget that while you may do this for profit, at the end of the day you need to enjoy your own story and enjoy writing it. I've rarely seen authors who don't like their own story succeed for very long.

HungrySheep

I like yuri
Don't make your first novel a series. Trust me, just don't. Yes, there are outliers who can pull this off, but the majority of people are not outliers.

If you are though, feel free to donate to my PayPal after you become a bigbucks mcmillionaire :blob_wink:

JackOfHeart

They don't start in the middle of an action scene or heightened dialogue (eg, mid argument) readers have the attention span of goldfish

D.S.Nate

Doing too much research and too little work to the point they talk themselves out of writing altogether because they seen too much too soon.

TwoApes

As the title says, what is the biggest mistake a new writer can make when starting their first story?
Becoming attached to their story, characters, or work in general. This leads to sticking stubbornly to what does not work, which makes them never grow, as growth requires trimming away what does not contribute to said growth.

Grim_Ether

Giving up/scrapping your work
This is the only real reaon I still don't have a completed work. Only this. So many words lost to the recycle bin.

phaeous

The Semanticist
Not knowing the difference
between

fact
fic
&
simulating

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
Following my advice?
Joking aside, getting too hung up on word count and thinking that 'I wrote this so I have to use it'. Don't be afraid of revisions. A computer you can save multiple versions of a story or chapter and then pick/combine the one that works the best.

AdamKusy

Speaking from personal experience, thinking about writing, imagining the scenes and cool moments in your head and how other people would react to reading it or how your story gets adapted to a mega popular show/film/cartoon and not actually writing your story. You have to write every day, even if it's only a few sentences. Nobody will write your story for you, except you and you only. Even later, when you get in the drive to write and have written many chapters and thousands of words, you will still get into knots and writer's block but the most important thing is to never give up, because you can do it.

J_Chemist

You have to write every day, even if it's only a few sentences.
No you don't. Write when you want and when you can. This mantra is dumb. The rest is agreeable

Becoming attached to their story, characters, or work in general. This leads to sticking stubbornly to what does not work, which makes them never grow, as growth requires trimming away what does not contribute to said growth.
Incorrect. Get attached. Love your characters and love what you do. It will push you to make them better. But, agreed- it does make putting them in tough spots harder. That's on you as an author to not be a coward.

They don't start in the middle of an action scene or heightened dialogue (eg, mid argument) readers have the attention span of goldfish
Incorrect. If itt's an action focused story, then no shit you're going to start outside of an action scene. If it's not an action driven story or if you have other things to describe and build, then do that. Write the story you need to get the job done for your book.

Don't make your first novel a series.
Agreed if you are bad at following through on plot and don't have the time or effort. Disagree if you have the capacity to do so. A series will give you story/followership continuity, provide a basis for your writing, and give you something you can continue to grow so long as the story can handle it.

I am mostly just a reader, so i'll say don't have high hope for your work but do have a bar that you have to get to.
50/50. I agree. Overestimating yourself and then coming up short is crippling. However, everyone should have high hopes and be hyped up for their book. It's your baby. Be happy to get it out there, but if it flops- keep digging.
1) Forget its 2023, and internet/people are shit
True but not applicable. Write what you want and what you love. People will always be assholes and always have been. The Internet just makes it more obvious.

2) Forget its likely to get No comments as 2020ish people comment far less than coomer era 2000~
This time thing makes no sense.

3) Bad cover/synopsis to hook readers to try VS 195308503503058 novels-mangas-animes-games out there competiting
Covers do need to be eye catching but you don't need something spectacular. Ai art will do fine. People will come to your book even if you don't have a cover.
4) Thinking they can get popularity in a period where entertainment is flooding and even large part is free
Yes, we all do. Your book will do fine so long as your story isn't garbage.
4.5) Forgotting they are writing english stuff and competing against 855464565089 JP/KR/CH novels that are likely more attractive to lot readers
Negative. If this were true, this site wouldn't have the viewer levels that it does and RoyalRoad would also be shut down. There's a larger reader base for English writing than those listed above.
5) Thinking they can finish it
Write. You'll be fine.

6) Writer block
Agreed.
7) Thinking they can appreciation
What.
8) Not using smut, especially for english (web)novel, especially SH novel
Where's Corty's thread.
9) THINKING THEY CAN TURN IT INTO A FULL TIME JOB (like JP/KR/CH do)
Agreed. You probably won't get money to sustain your life out the gate. Write for fun, not to live.
10) NOT STUDYING CURRENT READER MARKET/memes/what is popular.
(ex : 2023 raw xianxia series, now 99% mc are similar to deadpool/kazuma, that they are realistic/smart and know the tropes, compared to 2000ish xianxias full of shitty faceslaps and MCs cant be lowkey)
Incorrect. Write the story you love. It'll buff.
Thinking that they can write in the first place.
Stop it.
Expecting ANYTHING out of the story.
Expect everything and go ham. If it flops, it flops. It'll buff. Keep writing and finish your story even if it's garbage. Use it as experience.
Little to no planning the plots and/or the general direction of your series. That was the mistake I made when I first started.
Plan your main plots out and, indeed, the general direction. The small stuff you can flesh out later. So long as you have the basic grasp, the rest will buff.

And now that that's done...

The worst mistake a new writer can do is stop writing. For any reason. Your story likely isn't original. It's going to be overshadowed by a previously made work. I guarantee it. Your very first story is unlikely to be a hit and your very first story is not going to be perfect. But you tried. You put in effort and did something that most people are either too cowardly to do or simply can't do because of [insert reason/excuse here]. You took an idea and put it to paper. Whether it flops or passes the initial test, keep writing. Keep developing your writing skill. Edit. Refine. You don't have to write every day. You don't have to publish a chapter every day, every week, or even every month. So long as you keep writing, it'll buff.

Because you're still writing. The moment you stop is when you stop being a writer and your story truly dies.

Last edited:

AdamKusy

No you don't. Write when you want and when you can. This mantra is dumb. The rest is agreeable
Yes you have. Your comment and opinion are dumb. Every noteworthy and respectable writer's opinion (which I will absolutely take over a random guy's on the internet) is that you have to write each and every day so that you can get into the habit of actually writing your story regularly, and not just every three to six months when you get a random surge of inspiration. Using this flawed logic, it can take a writer months or years to write a single chapter because he's not writing everyday but only when he "wants" or when he "can". Don't listen to this guy's above me horrible advice, you absolutely have to get in the habit of writing everyday or your writing career is over before it even starts.