What is the worst criticism you have received?

LostLibrarian

The worst criticisms are the ones that are harsh and true.
Honestly, to me it's those who are harsh and wrong.

If they are true, I can take it and see whether it's a problem with the story or if my writing just isn't for that reader. But I also have reviews out there who say stuff that simply isn't true or where the reader didn't understand the point. Hurts me more, because that might push off possible readers through bullshit reasons...

-------------------------------
Worst "criticism" I had was on RR a few years ago. Wrote a story about a slave rebellion and 10 or so chapters in someone came, "reviewed" every chapter with page long comments about how everything sucks, everything is shit, how I should go kill myself, etc. One of the things where the reader wanted it to be a different story and everything that didn't go as he wanted was a mistake by default...
I stopped responding to the comments, so he started to sent me private messages, he got banned and just created new accounts to continue. More or less pushed me off RR and online writing for more than a year, because I had like 100 readers, 3 commenters and that giant pile of negativity I couldn't handle back then...

TotallyHuman

On RRL a guy dismantled a story of mine (in a review! The only one I have on all sites and stories to this day [sad face]). But all the points were pretty valid, and he took the time to actually think about the problems with the story, meaning he actually paid some attention instead of consuming it on the toilet, so I can't say it was the "worst", just the harshest, I guess?
There was also a comment here on SH in one of the chapters where I tried something different - though it didn't feel particularly constructive and more emotional, but I understood that the new experimental thing didn't work well - which was somewhat expected.

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
The only criticism that is given to me are valid ones that are "you need an editor for this type of things" or some correction, some 1 stars ( which I don't know some do it ) and that's only it.

The problem for me is that I don't want to let down my editor because I may not be able to upload or make some chapter for my novel ( due to school life ). Not to mention, my laziness towards the module that makes me try to catch it up by the weeks.

Although, when I make a chapter I finish it in a single seating while also improving my vocabulary while also making it simple and not mostly repetitive.

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
I think the worst criticism I ever had was a guy (or girl, I don't know), who only read the first chapter (aka the PROLOGUE which barely has any dialogue because it is to give context of the plot itself) said that everything was fine, grammar, plot, etc but I did a lot of "tell and not show" and that it was poor executed, so much that he resorted to skimming.
Which I would easily accept if the person had read at least 3 chapters or so since I do specify it is the prologue, but for me it is conflicting because I think that reviewing stories based on one chapter alone is so... rude? I cannot find the word to describe how I feel but i's not good.
When I do reviews I usually read 5 chapters, sometimes 10, to get a good grip on what the author is intending to do because sometimes even if one chapter is not that great, another one can compensate for it, I don't know if you know what I mean. :blob_frown:

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
Well it wasn't me but a friend,
that they had the wrong genre

Askun

I remember there was one guy who criticized me for not being consistent. Barely updating my story. He tell me to just drop it.

D

Deleted member 70892

I don't have such experiences, but somebody left a 1-star rating without reason.