What is the worst criticism you have received?

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?

True Story

D

Deleted member 54065

My MC is:

1) Weak-ass doormat
2) Stupid beta
3) Dense motherf*cker

Though I despaired about these comments before, now, I just laugh at them (and silently say f*ck you). I learned that as long as I follow my plans to my story (like reasonable and logical character growth and conflicts), I'm bound to attract serious readers for my chosen genre, which is always 'panned' because of the quality of works that are said to 'define' it.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
For me, I think it was when I writing my story Dopeman (I think I send it over here on Friday!) and somebody said the dialogue wasn't realistic, because there was no way he could think all of this at once.

A. It was first person.
B. It was his retelling, it wasn't in the present tense.
C. He mentioned his DND stories and basically said that he did better. I didn't take him too serious after that.
Don't remember
People mainly complained about chosen writing style or characters but thats nitpicky bullshit.

I give no fucks how they think it shouldve been written.

I've gotten only a few bad reviews across all my stories none of them even seemed worthy of attention. It was all just bitching. Some of them didnt even read far enough to realize the stories didnt stay the way they claimed it was and the problems were addressed.

They really like to act like I'm not aware of my own characters flaws.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
I would love some criticism, constructive of course, but any reaction would do. I post on here and RR to get criticism but I haven't had any! If I can't get good comments can I please have some indication that I've annoyed someone enough for them to take the time to comment!? Please??

I used to write on fanfic.net, the worst I got there was a character I probably shouldn't ever have written, I tried to tell a different story but one reader couldn't go with it. They were nice about it though.

aimless

Wanderer of Forums
For me, I think it was when I writing my story Dopeman (I think I send it over here on Friday!) and somebody said the dialogue wasn't realistic, because there was no way he could think all of this at once.

A. It was first person.
C. He mentioned his DND stories and basically said that he did better. I didn't take him too serious after that.
Idk what you mean by worst but my friend on discord reviewed my novel and it helped so much, even if it was harsher than normal reviews:
Edit: I’ve come to realise you meant worst as in the criticism is useless, but I’m still leaving this post up in case the criticism helps anybody

It's the server dad! yeehawwwwww! So here's my review:

Go search for and read Strunk and White's The Elements of Style. It's in the public domain, so there are plenty of pdfs out there, no need to buy it. The book is old, but the grammar rules are what we still use. (You could install Grammarly or something like it, which I assume you already do because of what I said last time, but I would recommend both. That way you know when Grammarly is wrong) It would help improve your writing.

I'd also recommend you to go check the yt channel 'Terrible writing advice'.

So my first critique would be that you're doing what feels like a lot of info-dumping through the use of run-on sentences and the notes. I think it's ok to do that during a first draft as, like, notes to yourself about characters or whatever, but you've got to clean it up. It's distracting and detracts from my ability to concentrate on what I'm reading. Allow those details to come up more organically, whether through dialogue or what the MC perceives internally, etc. An alternative for this might be to put these things at the end of the chapter or in the author's notes at the end.

Second, your characters can be improved. It feels as though they're moving in a single direction. They need some flaws, or even some personality traits that the reader can hold onto. It's about the pairing of traits. For ex: I think Amelia to be the overprotective, obsessive and clingy type of yandere. But is that all there is to her character? What is she outside of these given traits? Oh yeah! She is shy too, so I assume you want to give her some of the tsundere traits too? Which instantly gives her a +1 from me. This is what I meant by the pairing of traits. When you combine different traits what you get is a unique character. But make sure it feels real and relatable!

You can also check out the character Beato, for instance, who is simultaneously both a tsundere and a yandere. She’s a bit of a complicated character, but she exhibits both the classic Tsun and Dere behaviors in her interactions with Battler, and it’s especially obvious by the time you get to the third part of the series.

You also need to work on the dialogues :/ pretty sure people don't talk like that irl, then again I'm not the best at interacting with others :(. Another thing I want to add is about the paragraphs.

Just a personal suggestion and it is fine even if you leave it as it is. Most of the readers on webnovel don't read if it's too long. It's more about their attention span nowadays. So I'd suggest you to split the paragraphs in between.

There are some occasional changes in tense, since you've chosen for present then stick to it.

I said this last time too but looks like I'll have to say this again. What motivates your characters? Amelia is a yandere but why? Is it her natural character or did it happen because of the death of someone close to her? You can also use some actions instead of just telling about your characters. It adds more depth into them.

Last thing I'd like to say is, you're the one who writes. Write what you feel is good, you'll naturally get readers who prefer your style. Just keep writing and good luck!

Despite my quibbles, I do think this is a nice concept. I would read on. But there are a few things that I do think could be looked at to make it even better. Emotion being the biggest one which would naturally improve as you work on improving the connectivity the reader has with the characters.

I apologize if this wasn't as helpful as the last one, kinda busy so wasn't really able to break it down but I tried my best ^~^

If you need my help, just dm me on discord and I'll see if I can do something to help you out. I have to say, you've improved your writing. Just keep writing and it'll naturally be even better!

Last edited:

OtherSlater

Because The First Slater Died.
After having three years of art class I'm 17, it's 1998, I show my childhood friend of ten years a drawing of an anime styled girl. I get laughed at so hard, that I haven't seriously tried art or was interested in keeping in touch after moving away ever since. Them teen hormones really hit hard to.

Writing wise, you know you're an angst filled teen when you're English teacher says you're too depressing and need to write happier. Oh and you'll get Fs from that point forward for depressing poetry and stories. Problem is that just wasn't gonna happen with all the crap going on with me at the time. Also I failed that class, and history, that year. Even though I got like 89 and 93 on the final exams. Just because I either didn't do homework or didn't do it the way teach wanted. Sorry, I wasn't in the mood to happily do homework while parents were fighting/divorcing from 8th to 11th grade. Also kinda sucks when you have gender dysphoria in the 90s cause there was no help available for it as people didn't know it was a problem to begin with. Really says something about a class when you can pass the final, all the weekly tests and midterms, but fail from homework alone. Cause that eng teacher kept her word on failing depressing work, so I stopped doing homework all together. Cause by the 11th grade I done forgot what happy feels like. Oh and I dropped out and got my GED.
Wow. I can't begin to imagine how shit that all was. I can really relate to writing and people just not liking it. When I first got into it, my parents mentioned that it would not get me paid. While true, I just wanted to do my passion, If I get paid, even cooler. But hope you're in a happier place, You seem real dope, ya know?
A death threat because my MC is the bottom in the relationship (which I did declare in the very first chapter but okay)
How DARE they submit!!!11!!! THE REAPER IS LOOKING FOR YOU!!

Hathnuz

I got 2.5 stars review because they said my story was illogical, and their best example was the currency being too inflated (which I've already fixed it easily). I mean, the criticism was valid, but the stars wasn't justified and that bothered me for weeks.

Also, I got 3 stars review because the other reviews have hard-ons with axes. Yeah...

Thankfully, most criticism I got from my readers were helpful.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
For being a sadist that likes to torture my MC to much.
If anything I am a masochist, since my mc is technically a loose self-insert.

Macha

Not a Klutz
"Your story is terrible, just stop writing. You've been posting it since last year and it has less than 100 readers by chapter 30. The mc is a retard and everyone around him is very cartoony and stupid."

TroubleFait

"Your story is terrible, just stop writing. You've been posting it since last year and it has less than 100 readers by chapter 30. The mc is a retard and everyone around him is very cartoony and stupid."
Yeah, that guy can go fuck himself.
I gotten a few weird reviews from royalroad. Here an example. I cut it short, but it still got rated 4/5 hehehe
The second one is hard to read, and it looks like it's not worth investing the effort to understand what the guy is going on about :blob_popcorn:

The worst review I gave was when a story started out really great, upbeat and all about exploring a magical academy and making friends, and as the chapters progressed those aspects disappeared and instead it turned more and more depressing with traitors and asshole friends. And in the end, it looked like there weren't even good reasons for those people to betray themselves like that and poison everything.

I snapped and gave an asshole review. It just felt like the story was damaging my soul, I came to read a joyous story and I don't have a good mental health these days, so I really didn't need to read that.
To this day I still can't make myself go and erase the review. I was an asshole but I can't say I take it back.

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)

A. It was first person.
I got a 2.5 star review on RR claiming that my fairy tale, The Apple Grotto Nymph, was just fluff...what else is a fairy tale supposed to be? That was after I quit that place. I like it better here. No one tries to get me to review their stories, and I can focus on writing.