What is your favorite stylistic device and your most hated stylistic device?

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
My favorite stylistic device is the hyperbole because exaggeration is quite fun.

My most hated stylistic device is the personification, why because it's dump. Every time we use a verb on a non human it's technically a personification. That means that "the dog walks" "the plant grows" "the water flows" "the sun shines" are personification. yes, I created the threat to rant about personifications but to my defense there is no threat about stylistic devices here (that I found).

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Not sure what you mean. Could you give some other types of stylistic devices because I have never really considered not looked into what those would be.

Based off of your description, with personification, I can attest that my favorite IRL personification is corn. Corn IRL sweats and you can hear it grow. It's why the Midwest of America is so humid and why there is a near constant light sound that only truly goes away in the late autumn and winter. It's also why you see corn pictures where they have a cartoon face.

ACertainPassingUser

My favorite stylistic device is the XP Pen Deco Pro.

It's a graphic tablet with very elegant design that's actually practical for drawing digital art.

The design is Freaking good, it Won "reddot award 2019" and "GOOD DESIGN Award 2018"

16370903286202285.jpg
images.jpeg

There's also a Display Tablet with the same design, it also won another award.

images (1).jpeg

It's a very stylish device that helps creating stylish designs.

Last edited:

Voidiris

LilRora

Mostly formless
Polysyndeton and antithesis for me.

I think you don't have all of them though, unless I'm misunderstanding what a stylistic device is. Paradox and synethesia are two really good things as well.

Last edited:

Voidiris

Polysyndeton and antithesis for me, I think.

I think you don't have all of them though, unless I'm misunderstanding what a stylistic device is. Paradox and synethesia are two really good things as well.
Yes, the list doesn't contain every stylistic device, like synethesia.
I hate almost every stylistic device since authors rarely understand the full meanings of every device and how or when to use them.
It is annoying when people use words but don't even know the meaning.

Tempokai

Overworked One
Love
Deadpan narration, aka talking absurd with a straight face
Exaggeration and hyperbole are fun when used right

Hate
When other than "this" used in the dialogue.
– not like that
[not like that], unless it's a system or showing a time skip
And certainly "not like that'

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
You asked about hated devices, but I don't think there are any I hate. All of them have their place in writing, but some I definitely like more than others.