What is your protagonist(s) or antagonist(s)'s motive?

Yule

Snowdrop
To be honest, I really can't read a story very far when I can't understand what's motivating the characters. I want to understand them, even if they're twisted or chaotic! And sometimes the protagonist's motive will literally be to stop the antagonist from destroying the world or something, but sometimes these antagonists don't really have a reason for wanting to destroying the world. (Hot take, Harry Potter was like this for me, I kinda get it but I still can't empathize with Voldemort very well.)

So! Assuming your story's protagonist/antagonist do have a motive, what is it?

AYM

Farts can kill awareness month
  1. Ascend
  2. Not die
  3. Turn not dead other who want not dead me to not be not dead anymore dead

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
  • Mad God
    • Open up the realm that was sealed by the four Gods and explore what is behind the Sky
  • House of Amarin
    • Preventing a second apocalypse caused by the Undead 4,000 years ago.
  • Steel & Mana
    • Build his own kingdom so he can sit back and enjoy life

TotallyHuman

My favourite protagonist is from Wasn't my life
* see(or more like find out) the true reality of magic at any cost. Can be vaguely translated to overcome karma and achieve nirvana but with different connotations.

Indicterra

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed 🎶
Protagonist motive: Have fun

Antagonist motive: stop the skynet equivalent being being from outer world from taking over his world or genocide his species in the name of 'fun' with his sci-fi robotic army and space ships

No the order is not mixed

Insomniologist

Nemurenu Kyōfu
  1. Find weird and/or cool ancient tchotchkes
  2. Create museum of ancient tchotchkes
There is currently not yet an antagonist

Last edited:

RiaCorvidiva

Lady with a Caws.
Antagonist's motive: Gain enough power to reshape reality and be the singular all-powerful capital-G God.
Protagonist's motive: Kill said god before that happens.

Dreyva

Protagonist: Mend the rift that developed between her and her sisters. Keep her human friends safe. Navigate the whims of people with power and authority.

Antagonist: no world ending threat (yet) but there are characters who either oppose or are obstacles for the MC’s goals. Pretty much anyone who would use wants to use MC/her family, or keep them apart.

Jerynboe

Protagonist’s Motive: amass enough personal power and connections to be able to live a relatively peaceful life with autonomy in a fairly violent and cutthroat setting.
Antagonist’s Motive: Conquer the region MC is living in in a bid to coup her cousin and try to institute reforms in the evil empire which is in decline. Roughly equal parts “less evil” and “less in decline”. She hasn’t actually appeared onscreen yet.

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
To be honest, I really can't read a story very far when I can't understand what's motivating the characters. I want to understand them, even if they're twisted or chaotic! And sometimes the protagonist's motive will literally be to stop the antagonist from destroying the world or something, but sometimes these antagonists don't really have a reason for wanting to destroying the world. (Hot take, Harry Potter was like this for me, I kinda get it but I still can't empathize with Voldemort very well.)

Motivations are overrated. :blob_neutral: You pick them up along the way.

Enkiari

Well, currently, my protagonist wants to escape the pursuit of the Temples and the Kingdom they are in. But more broadly, she wants to form memories she can call her own with the person she loves.
And while there are antagonists, one of them wants to get revenge on the protagonist for killing his love - which is entirely justified. MC killed someone innocent. Then Temples wants her gone because she is a danger to the world - which she is. Then there is a mad King, but he hasn't been involved in the story directly so far.
There is no moustache-twirling evil in my story. Instead, it's people trying to do their best and stick to what they believe.

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost

My first arc villain's goal is to cause conflict and prepare humanity for war.
Second arc villain's goal is to keep my MC away from the humans who betrayed him.
Third arc's villain is to get his god-powers back from the MC and become god once again.
Fourth arc villain wants to keep the Mc away from the saint's throne.
Fifth arc villain is aiming to protect the MC, though in the process of doing so, she nearly damns the worlds into ruin.

And then, there's my overall villain, whose goal is just to eat.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Nexus Awakened - Frost:
- Overall make their newfound home a better place one step at a time, even if it comes at the cost of dabbling and enforcing inhuman methods.

Monster Awakened - Red:
- A being born as a fairytale (A twisted version of Red Riding) from raw cognitive thoughts/emotions that later has become 'living', and now seeks what it truly means to be 'human' with all of its ups and downs.

Facility Awakened - Papilia:
- Desperately yearning to make a positive change in a dystopian SCP Facility where energy is created through emotions. Suffice to say, negative emotions generate the most power and often leaves the workers better off dead.

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
Protagonist (aka 3 mental illnesses in a trench coat): unhealthy obsession for a mentortype character, desire to become something worthwhile, a weak desire to preserve the world since they live there

Miniboss: superiority + inferiority complex, cause others who are content to suffer because why should they suffer alone

Secondary Antagonist: reclaim stolen power, return the world to natural order (does not care about collateral damage)

Main Antagonist: accumulation of power in order to maintain their facade and fulfill the expectations of others

So basically, my protagonist and antagonists have very similar motivations, but the way they go about things differs.

Also my protagonist is not necessarily morally good (they’ve got some pretty bad tendencies with an overall disregard for the lives of strangers)

Sola-sama

Retired Old Man
Limitless Heaven — Explore the secret of Astrorion World and its wonders to expand the Human Imperium's Lebensraum
Soul Venerable — Infiltrate an alien world and prepare for the eventual arrival of Human Imperium's army, whose goal is to expand the Lebensraum.

Tempokai

Overworked One
...live his life peacefully, I guess? It's pretty hard when he's essentially a walking problem solver that doesn't realize he's a problem solver

Antagonists are basic, power, control and whatever else the basic superhuman needs to have NOT ENOUGH

DJ_Rhaposdy

Protagonist: To fulfill his role as a prince by defeating the corrupted Isekai Hero (Plus, rescuing his friend, Silva, from being a member of the Hero's harem).

Antagonist: Using the most powerful person in his harem to unmake the world out of spite for the people who slightly mistreated him. And marry all of the girls he collected instead of having to choose one.