What Kind of Characters do you Gravitate Towards?

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
I like unhinged, broken, insane, evil, disabled, calculating, pragmatic and extrem characters.
They are just the most entertaining and don't possess the character traits I despise the most.
Characters with such traits feel the most unique to me.

wresch

I want my MC to struggle and grow. We have 80,000 words. Plenty to see a character change as the world changes around them. I want them to be better at the end. To have learned, to have fought, to have helped. Others are mentioning all characters have some connection to us. I can see that. Maybe what I want is the MC to be the person I want to be. And maybe I want to put them in a world I would like to see. Maybe every plot is some version of the Hero's Journey. But it doesn't have to end with bombs and civilizations clashing. Maybe it just needs to have a person become a decent person.

Attachments

• mary smaller.jpg
    mary smaller.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 17

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
He did get reasonably competent in the light novels and the movie "The Last" but I did actually mean other fans.
:blob_neutral: That might be a fair argument ... But in my defence, anything beyond the war arc has a doubtful right of existence. Too many bad cannon decisions.

D

Deleted member 133647

I find that when I start writing a story, I tend to make the main characters, or focused characters, very similar to one another. Their personalities or quirks/likes are similar or exactly the same. Does everyone else do this in their own writing where they make character personalities similar in each of their creation? And is it reflective on yourself or a particular person you know?
The Silent one who never talks but is badass and cool and acts accordingly. Not to be confused with the unsuspecting ninja.

Evil-Empire

I find that when I start writing a story, I tend to make the main characters, or focused characters, very similar to one another. Their personalities or quirks/likes are similar or exactly the same. Does everyone else do this in their own writing where they make character personalities similar in each of their creation? And is it reflective on yourself or a particular person you know?

For me characters mostly define themselves and grow or evolve through interactions with other characters. And that involves lots and lots of dialogue. There's also growth through experiencing life as well but I write reams of dialogue. For me one things I really enjoy is seeing how characters react and talk to each other. I don't usually struggle finding a character's voice. If I do it's a sign that the character is flawed from a story standpoint. It's fine for a character to have flaws of course but if the character itself is flawed that means said character needs to be rethought or in some cases scrapped altogether.

If all the characters in a story are more or less carbon copies of each other then I feel that I failed writing an interesting story.

MajorKerina

In writing, people who have fucked up families. People who have gender fluid possibilities. Characters with a lot of internal reflection. Characters fighting huge monolithic unknown forces. Characters that are rather timid and working on getting more forthright. I've recently given up mothers who are jerks as characters i'm trying not to overcompensate with renaissance moms

MrToothySmiles

I like characters like Qin Qiu from 'How'd I get the heroines script'
Silly but mature people who are the outsiders in other peoples stories, and they don't mind it at all.

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
Batshit crazy are the most fun to write. But placing them in a semi-serious setting is hard. Unless you want a Heath Ledger Joker homage. As much fun as it would be to add one in, my MC would try to shoot them within a minute-she has no chill.
If all the characters in a story are more or less carbon copies of each other then I feel that I failed writing an interesting story.
This.