What kind of music do you guys listen to (If you do) to get you writing?

EternalSunset0

Mostly Japanese music. I turn on a random album and just get to work. These days, it's often Claris.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
I've been listening to a variety of things. If I want something more relaxing I like ambient stuff like this:

As Halloween was approaching(and many times since) when I started Lilith's story I ended up listening to these two a lot:

🎃 Lofi Halloween Mix 1 🎃 [Dark Lofi Hip Hop Beats by Dated]

🎃 Lofi Halloween Mix 2 🎃 [Dark Lofi Hip Hop Beats by Dated]

Plus this Swing mix occasionally

Spooky Swing - Electro Swing Halloween Mix 2020 🎃 😈 🌕 💀

Some of my other favorites recently for Lo-Fi have been:

Lo-fi for Witches (Only) [lofi / calm / chill beats]

Lo-fi for Ghosts (Only)

Lo-fi for Demons (Only) ~ lofi hip hop mix

And then some other compilations I've listened to have been:

BULLET HELL - TOUHOU ALBUM || OFFICIAL STREAM

BULLET HELL II (Touhou Album) || OFFICIAL STREAM

【東方ジャズ】Best of Touhou Funk / Swing Jazz Songs【作業用】

✦PSYQUI COLLECTION✦ ALL TRACKS OF PSYQUI - (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ (re-upload)

I LOVE THAT SONG! It's one of my favorites! I'm not familiar much with the franchise but it's from some Japanese browser games where world war 2 ships are waifus.
That's quite a lot. @flucket might like the first one.

Jemini

I always fall into a rut after a few hours of just background noise. I'm amazed you can handle it.

In my opinion, this is probably evidence that your characters are not interesting enough. If they are not interesting or developed enough to even keep the author's interest, then how do you expect the readers to engage with them?

That's how I avoid your problem. I have fleshed out my characters to such an extent that they really drive the writing completely on their own. No need for anything in the ambiance to serve as a distraction. As I write, it feels as though the characters are biting at the bit within my own consciousness to get their stories out and my fingers on the keyboard are the only outlet by which those stories can be told.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
In my opinion, this is probably evidence that your characters are not interesting enough. If they are not interesting or developed enough to even keep the author's interest, then how do you expect the readers to engage with them?

That's how I avoid your problem. I have fleshed out my characters to such an extent that they really drive the writing completely on their own. No need for anything in the ambiance to serve as a distraction. As I write, it feels as though the characters are biting at the bit within my own consciousness to get their stories out and my fingers on the keyboard are the only outlet by which those stories can be told.
Harsh, but I'll take it in a positive light. I finally got something out of this thread lol. I'll see if I can work on that.
Although, I believe my reason isn't just that, it's something personal so I won't get into it. But I do appreciate you pointing that out so I can avoid that red flag.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
Harsh, but I'll take it in a positive light. I finally got something out of this thread lol. I'll see if I can work on that.
Although, I believe my reason isn't just that, it's something personal so I won't get into it. But I do appreciate you pointing that out so I can avoid that red flag.

It seems more just a difference between how different people's brain functions. For many people music has been proven to have an effect. It seems several studies were done with classical music but I imagine that it applies to a wide variety of things, from different genres to the sounds of rain and thunder, etc.

I did some searching, it was a little difficult because there are SO MANY RESULTS of music to listen to or articles talking about it, that the years old studies are buried by nonacademic results from more recently.

Here are a couple of articles I found that do have some citations or links:

Then there is this guide from a university for it's students, I feel like a lot of the same things apply to working on writing as would studying, it's all concentration and thinking at the end of the day, right?

In the end, I'm not sure if there is any causation, even if there are instances of correlation, to the premise that listening to music = bad characters.

I can say, anecdotally, in my personal experience that silence, in general, is distracting for me. Somehow it feels like it amplifies every tiny little noise, into an attention-grabbing annoyance.

Have there been times where my music stopped playing and I kept on writing without thinking to start it up again, absolutely! But there were also times where, by some means I find it difficult to explain, having something playing felt like it was clearing a fog that had me bumping into objects constantly, unable to navigate unimpeded.

I'm not even so sure that there is a correlation between difficulty writing and boring characters, as I've had plenty of moments where I had a really hard time writing, but I kept daydreaming about the scenes and how my character was interacting with it and how the others if there were any, did too. In fact, I feel like currently, my story has been better for it as I came up with things I had not considered or magically had plot elements fall into place from a random musing where my brain stuck something in I hadn't considered analytically before. Granted this is all entirely anecdotal as my experience with a sample size of one.

Jemini

In the end, I'm not sure if there is any causation, even if there are instances of correlation, to the premise that listening to music = bad characters.

I can say, anecdotally, in my personal experience that silence, in general, is distracting for me. Somehow it feels like it amplifies every tiny little noise, into an attention-grabbing annoyance.

Have there been times where my music stopped playing and I kept on writing without thinking to start it up again, absolutely! But there were also times where, by some means I find it difficult to explain, having something playing felt like it was clearing a fog that had me bumping into objects constantly, unable to navigate unimpeded.

I'm not even so sure that there is a correlation between difficulty writing and boring characters, as I've had plenty of moments where I had a really hard time writing, but I kept daydreaming about the scenes and how my character was interacting with it and how the others if there were any, did too. In fact, I feel like currently, my story has been better for it as I came up with things I had not considered or magically had plot elements fall into place from a random musing where my brain stuck something in I hadn't considered analytically before. Granted this is all entirely anecdotal as my experience with a sample size of one.

I am told by every college level professor who ever brought up the subject that music demands attention from your brain and is a type of multi-tasking. There is some potential benefit to soft ambient music if you are the type who must have music, but anything with lyrics or a harder beat is a definite "no," while no music is preferable if you can swing it.

That said, I do also find some benefit in music while doing certain mental activities. It is mostly for the purpose of drowning out an otherwise noisy environment. If you have a quiet environment, you shouldn't need music. If there are audio distractions though, something more regular and controllable like music can help you to push out those distractions.

I'm not denying those studies, but if college level professors are saying the exact opposite then I would have to say these studies are not the favored opinion of the scientific community. It doesn't mean one is correct and the other is incorrect, it just means that the current body of evidence favors the benefits of no distractions over regulated distractions such as music.

(Once again though, credence has to be given to the idea of regulated distractions being better than irregular and unpredictable/uncontrollable distractions)

As for my comment about it being associated with boring characters, I did specify quite plainly there that it was my opinion. My personal opinion is, like your counter, something supported only by a single person's anecdotal experience.

Freesia.Cutepearl

I do get easily distracted so...

715e8aae44207fc04688555d2b0869fb.gif

*Attempts to go back to writing the next two chapters that she is VERY excited about but for some god damned reason is having the most trouble writing :blob_no:

Frostbird

I tend to listen to lo fi music while writing. Very relaxing, especially when you are writing at 3 in the morning.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Haha, nah. Unfortunately the rain effects on those "rainy day music" fusions tend to be waaaay too quiet to a point its completely absent at the volume I play it at.
The Jazz in the one I linked probably covers it up a bit, but with it playing through my surround sound, the rain seems really evident, especially from the satellite speakers. I have an old receiver though that's doing dolby 5.1 matrix decoding, so it's not "actual" 5.1 from the PC.

I will say it tricked me into thinking it was raining when I fell asleep on the couch reading and woke up later.

I like the thunderstorm one you posted, though, it makes me question if my setup makes things sound more different than I was thinking as the rai and thunder coming from it are LOUD, at my normal comfortable volume. It literally sounds like a severe thunderstorm, the kind that flood the street and thunder that makes the house rumble, as lighting threatens to kill the power with every passing moment, while leaves and branches are torn from the trees by the heavy rain.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
I am told by every college level professor who ever brought up the subject that music demands attention from your brain and is a type of multi-tasking. There is some potential benefit to soft ambient music if you are the type who must have music, but anything with lyrics or a harder beat is a definite "no," while no music is preferable if you can swing it.

That said, I do also find some benefit in music while doing certain mental activities. It is mostly for the purpose of drowning out an otherwise noisy environment. If you have a quiet environment, you shouldn't need music. If there are audio distractions though, something more regular and controllable like music can help you to push out those distractions.

I'm not denying those studies, but if college level professors are saying the exact opposite then I would have to say these studies are not the favored opinion of the scientific community. It doesn't mean one is correct and the other is incorrect, it just means that the current body of evidence favors the benefits of no distractions over regulated distractions such as music.

(Once again though, credence has to be given to the idea of regulated distractions being better than irregular and unpredictable/uncontrollable distractions)

As for my comment about it being associated with boring characters, I did specify quite plainly there that it was my opinion. My personal opinion is, like your counter, something supported only by a single person's anecdotal experience.
Knowledge is vast yes, doesn't mean one is correct and the other is incorrect. As your professors have said, music demands attention from your brain and is a type of multi-tasking. Then what if you take it from another point of view?

For example, I have ADD(Attention deficiency disorder), which is a real pain in the ass when I have to sit down and write, and I find music helps me curb it. It may influence my writing, but it DOES get me to write.

As for your comment, I'll be using that as a red flag whenever I do feel stuck. Thanks.
86-865410_animated-anime-discord-emoji-animated-anime-emojis-for.png

Freesia.Cutepearl

I completely forgot to address this before, but,

For some reason, I find more upbeat music, like 'battle music' from an RPG or things like Dubstep or Electro-Swing, anything with 'Energy' to sort of.. 'Energize' my brain, and make it 'feel' like it's working better. Somehow I tune out the music while also benefiting from it? It's very weird and hard to describe. I could listen to songs I've heard a million times while writing or working, and afterward, you could ask me to name a few songs that played and my mind would be blank, like it never happened.

Then again, I'm very atypical- I'm definitely not a neurotypical individual. (Not just me, a Doctor Agreed)

Ah, I think I sort of misunderstood that, like, in some way I kind of knew, but also, I thought it was more than just opinion? Honestly, I've been flipping between things all day, I'm surprised I haven't gotten more stuff mixed up.

Cheers
Menhera-chan_cheer1.png

placeintime

Yeeting myself out
I listen to a wide variety of music because some music helps me feel certain emotions that allow me to capture it in what I write. But what I listen to regularly is;

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
I listen to scientifically designed music for improving focus. I use Brain.fm but there are others like Focus At Will. The latter has one that is supposed to help those with adhd.
Intriguing,
Ohh, checked it out. I used to listen to these back when I reviewed for exams.
I listen to a wide variety of music because some music helps me feel certain emotions that allow me to capture it in what I write. But what I listen to regularly is;

Same, I try to glean emotions from songs sometimes while I write.
Love the cafe music.

RimuThighHighs

I listen a myriad of music artists and styles so I've constructed playlists depending on the tone and mood of the chapter that I'm writing. I also tend to pop on some of my favorite video game soundtracks.

Mar

Personally it depends on the setting and scene. If I want something ominous then I'll listen to gothic classical music. If I want to feel my setting more, I listen to cyberpunk. If I want something with a desert feel, I listen to instrumental Egyptian songs. Whatever I do listen to, the songs have to be instrumental. I just can't focus that well if the music has words.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
I don't listen to music while I'm writing, but I do listen to it before writing. Sometimes I listen to Twisted Sister, Sabaton, Seven Angels, etc. Other times I listen to Jukebox the Ghost, Beatles, Orleans, etc. Just depends on my mood and what I'm gonna write next in my story.

officialue

Do you switch up your genres according to the mood of your writing? Or do you just blast away your favorite songs? Just honest curiosity.
anything, really. rap/hip-hop/trap, pop, jpop/my favorite anime openings, really anything that gets me hype to be honest.

or fantasy theme sounding instrumentals. those are nice too.