What media inspired your work?

D

Deleted member 54065

For me, for my series The Heart Dove, I was heavily inspired by mythology and folklore found in the Philippines. But, when I was writing it, I had a fixation on the manga/anime series Vinland Saga. I absolutely adored Thorfinn's character and his development, and I wanted to see what I could do with a character who lost the life they once had and have this goal that they'd die for in order to achieve. Like Thorfinn and Askeladd, I really wanted to explore a family dynamic between two characters who are forced to spend time with one another but absolutely can't stand each other.

Please tell me about the media that helped inspire your works!
LotR, Narnia, HP, and ZnT.

Also, my annoyance over one-dimensional characters found in harem-isekai genres that have come out lately.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
What's The Novel's Extra about? Is it similar to Omniscient Reader?
Yep. They are similar, but ORV has its own unique points that set it apart from TNE which has been the predecessor of many novels for some time already.
In a sense, they are the same except The Novel's Extra is set in an alternate reality where the author transmigrates into his own novel. TNE is one of the earliest modern fusion fantasy novels about dungeons and hunters to make it big time. Real big time. I could say ORV and TNE have their similarities. Kim Dokja and Kim Hajin both are 'extras' in a sense. The two of them also have a strong sense of self-sacrifice. Parallel to the two is their trait with Kim Hajin being a writer, and Kim Dokhja being a reader. If ORV has Yoo Joonghyuk, TNE has Kim Suho. If TNE has Towers, then ORV has scenarios. If TNE has Devils, then ORV has Constellations.
In terms of power scale though, ORV has more stronger characters with the exception of TNE's MC Kim Hajin and a special few that shall remain nameless. TNE had become a template for the following generation of many of web fiction such as The Author's POV which is fairly successful and then there are other variations from The Novel's Villain, The Editor is an Extra, etcetera.
ORV is among the recent novels from the past year/s that have shown its own uniqueness through using extremes of plots from multiple-so-many regression, Kim Dokja's abusive resurrection, and the OP 4th Wall.
TNE too has its own unique points with it having an established history that shaped a different version of the 21st century yet still resonates with our 21st century. TNE has an interesting worldbuilding in its own way which is barely scratched from the surface from a few time travels.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
A lot of anime. When I want to write a story, I usually use different anime as a reference for various parts of the story. For instance, the book I'm working on right now has the tone of hunter x hunter, similar plot progression as Made in Abyss, and fight scenes like Dragon Ball Z. At least that's my reference and the combination of the three won't really be an indication of the end product. More as a basis on how I want to approach writing the story.

HungrySheep

I like yuri
Yep. They are similar, but ORV has its own unique points that set it apart from TNE which has been the predecessor of many novels for some time already.
In a sense, they are the same except The Novel's Extra is set in an alternate reality where the author transmigrates into his own novel. TNE is one of the earliest modern fusion fantasy novels about dungeons and hunters to make it big time. Real big time. I could say ORV and TNE have their similarities. Kim Dokja and Kim Hajin both are 'extras' in a sense. The two of them also have a strong sense of self-sacrifice. Parallel to the two is their trait with Kim Hajin being a writer, and Kim Dokhja being a reader. If ORV has Yoo Joonghyuk, TNE has Kim Suho. If TNE has Towers, then ORV has scenarios. If TNE has Devils, then ORV has Constellations.
In terms of power scale though, ORV has more stronger characters with the exception of TNE's MC Kim Hajin and a special few that shall remain nameless. TNE had become a template for the following generation of many of web fiction such as The Author's POV which is fairly successful and then there are other variations from The Novel's Villain, The Editor is an Extra, etcetera.
ORV is among the recent novels from the past year/s that have shown its own uniqueness through using extremes of plots from multiple-so-many regression, Kim Dokja's abusive resurrection, and the OP 4th Wall.
TNE too has its own unique points with it having an established history that shaped a different version of the 21st century yet still resonates with our 21st century. TNE has an interesting worldbuilding in its own way which is barely scratched from the surface from a few time travels.
Gotcha! Thanks for the detailed answer!

Saberfang

Mine was based on a manhwa called "I'm not the demon gods lackey". Loved the concept, but hated the execution and a bunch of other stuff about that series. So, i decided to write my own version of that story, and one thing led to another and it kinda became it's own thing.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
my current work was inspired by my other works. but they all trail back to one: Lay the Dragon, which was inspired by the meme.

edit: forgot to mention, A succubus' Love was inspired by the VN "A House In the Rift". and my one shots were all inspired by various things, most commonly various anime.

Last edited:

OyoJan

I would say fighting games (especially Tekken and Mortal Kombat), Final Fantasy VII, and (probably) Akira are the inspirations for my web serial, Chronicles of Lumina.

Vainancholy

A better question would be, what hasn’t inspired my story.

Off the top of my head, I can think of: FFVII, Durarara!!, Made In Abyss, The Boys, Lobotomy Corp, Library Of Ruina, Omori, Re:Zero, Bakemonogatari, and Fullmetal Alchemist

But there’s more than likely more than just that.

sleepykuya

A better question would be, what hasn’t inspired my story.

Off the top of my head, I can think of: FFVII, Durarara!!, Made In Abyss, The Boys, Lobotomy Corp, Library Of Ruina, Omori, Re:Zero, Bakemonogatari, and Fullmetal Alchemist

But there’s more than likely more than just that.
Durarara!!...haven't heard that name in years. Good inspo :blobthumbsup: