What would you consider gore

CrimsonGenius

Riding the Thunder
Mention getting a cut and have blood trickle out or a detailed description of a chest bursting out. I want to put in the gore tag just in case.

Last edited:

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Not gore: Getting cut, bruised, lacerated, crushed, mangled - Simplifying the damage basically. 'X' was slashed by the blade, their back bleeding. Basically superficial stuff.

Gore: Bone protruded from the cut, layers of muscles burned and removed the face of 'X', his face was degloved like a mask. It would also include other senses, such as smell and vivid imagery. Popped like a pomegranate is my favourite. Basically, gore goes into detail of the cuts/injury with the intention to simply showcase the extent of injury or to disgust.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Graphic descriptions of injuries.

Because everyone has a different definition of gore and what they can stomach, I say if you go writing anything that goes into a description of how an injury looks, be it just a cut or more serious, tag it as gore.

Even then, people will complain.

Le_ther

Not gore: Simple details that includes blood

Gore: vivid and detailed explanation including the process of how the injuries formed and how it affects the character

ZombieHat

In depth details of blood and guts, dismemberment, bodies exploding, stuff like that is def gore.

Civilian

The man's guts spilled all over the floor with the creature chewing on them like 5gum, stimulating its senses as the cries of the victim echoed across the bloody hallways.

As long as it's not that detailed I'd say it's fine, some blood, a broken arm or neck here and there wouldn't be considered gore to me. Think old dragon ball, there is violence and blood, but nothing I would considerer gore (At least in the anime.)

LORD_SHAXX

Any vivid description of what's happend.
For example.
In the midst of a roaring inferno, his skin began to blister and bubble, a horrifying sight to behold. Soon, the grotesque bubbles on his flesh burst open, unleashing a torrent of blood that cascaded down his ravaged face and body. Desperately, he reached out with his trembling, blood-soaked hands, charged with a primal energy, hoping to staunch the crimson tide. But his efforts proved futile, his hands only serving as a grim reminder of his own agony. He watched as the layers of skin began to burn one by one his hand going from pale white to dark more bloody shades of red as the fired dug deepr onto his muscle. The nauseating stench of charred flesh hung heavy in the air, intertwining with the sounds of crackling flames. With a final, haunting gasp, he succumbed to the merciless fire, his existence consumed in a blaze of tragedy.

Last edited:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I always have a hard time identifying what is gore in writing. Mainly because it's just words so most people can just skip over it. Plus, unless if I see something physically gorey(IE a picture or video) I don't personally think of it as gore. Maybe that's just me though.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
GORE:
th-3942705451.jpg

Grievewriter

Usually the line for me revolves around detail.

Wounds in general can be understated to an absurd degree depending on the writing, to the point where gut wounds or broken bones can be merely such if you wish it so. Gore depends entirely on detail, upon noting the torn flesh threatening to seep out through grasping hands, or the jagged bone within threatening puncture the straining skin from within.

Just saying someone got shanked in the side doesn't paint anywhere near as vivid a picture, in fact I'd say word count could be used to judge whether the description of injury could be considered gory.