What would you have done?

So, what would you do, if you were in my place?

• Total voters

melchi

What is a custom title?
I think call centers are a bit dated. Why can't they use live chat or email options?

Like for example, at work I put in a ticket for technical support. Someone from Kuala Lumpur called and it felt like she was screaming at me with how she spoke english.

So I just switched to using teams and it was a much better experience.

doravg

137/4001 (finally counted the stories)
I think call centers are a bit dated. Why can't they use live chat or email options?

Like for example, at work I put in a ticket for technical support. Someone from Kuala Lumpur called and it felt like she was screaming at me with how she spoke english.

So I just switched to using teams and it was a much better experience.
So glad to hear you solved your problem. How have you been?

wadu

The only thing you can do, really is repetition.
Keep repeating until you're done. Get yourself a microphone and spam that bitch.
Or leave if it's impossible for you to get to an acceptable level in a month.
Facing feedback on your German accent at work, would you focus on improving it within the given timeframe, possibly using tools like a microphone, or switch to English-based jobs with potentially higher salaries?

Last edited:

doravg

Facing feedback on your German accent at work, would you focus on improving it within the given timeframe, possibly using tools like a microphone, or switch to English-based jobs with potentially higher salaries
I am working on my accent, did not quit. And the English jobs don't have high salaries in my country at all. (Since everyone and their dogs can speak English here.)

beast_regards

It looks to me they are looking for excuses to get rid of you.

I couldn't really tell anyone to quit their job, it's a kinda lame suggestion considering how difficult it could be to find a new job, but if you try cling to your job, the company would just would increase pressure on you until you break or they could fire you for negligence, or whatever it the legal term where you live. It starts always with nonsensical complaints, and it would get worse. Keep in mind, HR's do talk to each other, they do background checks on the new employees, and they will absolutely ruin your chances of finding the next job if you didn't get out of their hair quickly enough.

Sylver

I would recommend that if you are considering a different job to stick with your current job for now and work on the improvements that are suggested if you. Don't jump ship until you have an anchor to keep the ship at the deck.

In other words, it is fine to consider a different source of employment but don't quit until your new job is secured. After you get a starter date for your new job, then I would put in the resignation notice.

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
stay! for! the! cash! money! they'll fire you if they really can't stand it but this is both a learning opportunity and a way to get paid so there's no downsides that I can see

3guanoff

Stay. Just lost my job, still looking. You can keep your eyes out during the one month they gave you.

As for accent, I do not know much German. Bitte, Danke, Schuldigung.
Did your colleagues tell you which aspect you need to improve? Pitch? Word choice? Or certain phonemes (vowels, consonants). I do not remember what German pitch is like, but I know they got many weird consonants and a few difficult vowels.

Instead of bending your tongue into shapes it is not meant to be, you can try finding a regional dialect that works or even cobbling two together.
E. g., I know German has a weird ch consonant. You can replace that with "k". Ich -> Ik. No clue what to replace sch with. I pronounce it as English sh in schuldigung, but that is the only German word with sch I remember.

It also depends on the kind of call center. I worked at one as a youth and we would sell things to old people over bad landlines. The most important thing was to speak slowly and clearly. The lines had a terrible quality, so a lot of sounds were unclear. Cheese, she's, sees, on the other end of the line it would all sound the same. At the end of the day, the only thing that mattered were closing figures. If you sold more toilet paper subscriptions than your colleagues, it did not matter how awful your language was.

doravg

Stay. Just lost my job, still looking. You can keep your eyes out during the one month they gave you.

As for accent, I do not know much German. Bitte, Danke, Schuldigung.
Did your colleagues tell you which aspect you need to improve? Pitch? Word choice? Or certain phonemes (vowels, consonants). I do not remember what German pitch is like, but I know they got many weird consonants and a few difficult vowels.

Instead of bending your tongue into shapes it is not meant to be, you can try finding a regional dialect that works or even cobbling two together.
E. g., I know German has a weird ch consonant. You can replace that with "k". Ich -> Ik. No clue what to replace sch with. I pronounce it as English sh in schuldigung, but that is the only German word with sch I remember.

It also depends on the kind of call center. I worked at one as a youth and we would sell things to old people over bad landlines. The most important thing was to speak slowly and clearly. The lines had a terrible quality, so a lot of sounds were unclear. Cheese, she's, sees, on the other end of the line it would all sound the same. At the end of the day, the only thing that mattered were closing figures. If you sold more toilet paper subscriptions than your colleagues, it did not matter how awful your language was.
I got better. I mean, I am still on thin ice, but people tell me I am doing a good job now. =)