What's the point of writing?

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford
I write because I love the characters that keep me company in my daydreams, so I want to brag about them. Not that I'm ready to share anything yet.
Now this is the real reason.
1. To procrastinate. Escape into a fantasy world from all the stress(well not all the stress but real world is very boring . I very easily lose focus and start daydreaming. It's not just writing about anything i am intrested in or curious about).

I write cause i get pleasure from daydreaming.

and this is why i am never going to publish the novel or anything. Just making plot points and events and having conversations with yourself about how things would be in a fantasy world is fun .

Like i really am not even going to make the plot points into a coherent whole or make the story interesting with arcs. Just conversations and thinking about how the world is and will be with magic is fun.

Lentin

The main reason I write is because I love making stories. I had a really wild imagination since I was in primary school. I started making my own stories using a bulky Dell laptop and a microsoft word 2008 program when I was around 9 years old. The first story that I wrote was called 'The Red Phoenix' lmao.

After many years of forgetting the hobby, My desire to create stories resurrected and I decided that I wanted to create stories by drawing comics. Eventually, I learned that drawing comics is a really time consuming process and I had other things to spend my time on. I could only complete two or three panels of my comic after ten hours of finishing the lineart, colouring, cleaning, text insert and rendering. It was honestly exhausting and I was just stuck on same panel when I wanted the story to get moving.

So, I gave up on making comics, and remembered after 11 years that there was another way of communicating my stories. Writing. Lol.

Ten hours of writing is equivalent to completing to 20-30 panels on a comic in my opinion haha

Last edited:

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford
The reason for why I write is because I want to change how people view the world and the people around them through my stories and characters. 📝 Maybe help readers come to terms with existentialism using my fictional stories for example.
bro i am basically writing something which is similar to this but the protagonist is somewhat well adjusted. There is no symbolism or anything .

Well there are two themes though. One is absurdism and other is self control and following logic. Somewhat questioning reality.

The basic plot is

The protagonist just talks with a girl in a direct fashion about stuff he likes while exploring the world. He goes through various cities where people follow different philosophies.

there is protagonist refusal to take the world seriously no matter what which gives story comedy tag.

Story begins with (26 year old)guy brooding about how bad life is when he read daily news letter and found out that proton decay has been observed and readings are similar to what string theory predicts.

(he was against string theory and had bet 10,000$ that it would never be proven right)
He thinks about how bad his life is . He thinks i am leaving physics now and going full on hedonist.
He asks his friend where could he buy weed
His friend says
"Dude, this happens to you atleast once a month. You sure wanna risk a addiction they mix cocaine with weed now a days"
"That is why i am asking you. I want some safe stuff. "
Guy gives recommendation
one thing leads to another and his train of thought about how "he has fucked up big time and no one could stop him from getting addicted and his life as well might be over."
is interrupted by a literal train and his life indeed does get over at this point.

His second last thought is
"well atleast i can confirm that there are two states existence and non existence. I knew i existed and after dying i would know that i do not exist"
His last thought is
"SHINE SHIEN SHshine shien hiseine shien"
(because this novel is biologically accurate and people don't have coherent last thoughts)

He is then ressurected by a worm god a trillion years later who got very infaturated with his left leg after it bend in just the right way after being run over by the train.

Humanity got hit by a asteroid and global warming at the same time but then recovered by the power "Lots of sex."
as said by worm god.
but eventually
Humanity went extinct because people stopped having sex for spiritual fulfillment reasons. "Just no point in having babies when i can follow my passion and live a fulfilling life" was the realization reached by 80% of the populace.

I am never going to publish it cause it would lead lot of editing and most of plot has to yet be thought up.

Last edited:

skillet

a frying pan
I start writing because I'm so fed up with horrible cliche stories and I go THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT HELLO and also because I want to poke fun at all the tropes I know ahaha
I continue writing because it's fun. Frustrating, but fun. (gasp waht?!)

Generally speaking, though, I write because I always have this, this urge to create and it pleases me incredibly when I do so. :D

(on a side note,
I write because i can't draw.
SAME.)

Draecath

I started because I was annoyed with a story I read but 2 years and a half a million words later its sort of a escape like reading.

I set a vague plan of basic plot points then just enter a mode and see where it takes me. Also it gives me something to think about when I'm doing brainless activities which is where I get most of my inspiration. I find making a detailed outline planning every detail takes the enjoyment out of it so I just wing it.

Of course I have plenty of moments after I write some random story shift staring at the the story thinking "crap how will I bend the story to make this make sense?" Then I end up going back to edit things to make me teleporting my character to another world make sense or at least a little more sense.

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
I write to escape the real world, indulge my what-ifs, and because all those words in my head have to go somewhere or else I'll explode from prose overload.

I also enjoy stringing sentences together and playing with words, it's kinda like making music except with text...? Anyways, it's fun.

ForestDweller

I don't know to be honest. I guess I write because I have a desire to write. That, and the desire to be praised as well, with the former being fed by the latter. If I only get criticism and no praise, my desire to write will die down to be sure. And if it's not coming back, then I'll end up not writing for a while until it starts all over again, but this time, with a different story (thus abandoning the old story).

Because I've found stories and fanfics over the years that are so well-crafter but they only have a couple of readers at best. I don't want to be like them. I don't want to be a tragedy.

Hathnuz

To become famous like J.K Rowling, Stephen King, etc.
-
-
-
Ok, that goal is a little bit too unrealistic. I'm just fed up with my country's novels, over-saturated with romance and horror but almost no fantasy. I kinda want to change that. Also, drawing comic is pain in the butt and takes very long time to finish (I've tried it).

Necariin

I write to tell the stories in my head, and explore themes that I enjoy.
I have one fairly successful story here and on RR, but I have so many more I want to get down and share. That it too. Sharing my stories with others and seeing something I write resonate with a reader. That's good shit and plenty of motivation for me.

ForestDweller

To become famous like J.K Rowling, Stephen King, etc.
-
-
-
Ok, that goal is a little bit too unrealistic. I'm just fed up with my country's novels, over-saturated with romance and horror but almost no fantasy. I kinda want to change that. Also, drawing comic is pain in the butt and takes very long time to finish (I've tried it).

Which country are you from?

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
To become a god that people begged for dem chappies.
Elmo!

D

Deleted member 45782

1. I can't do that anymore, my work finally has a firm clasp on my balls.
2. Nah
3. Yup, and my wet dreams got kudos in AO3
4. Not really. Reading is a hobby.
Everyone has their own different perspective of why they got into writing. :)

OvidLemma

I write because I don't have the resources to make massive high-budget movies. Creating worlds is as cheap as having an imagination and something to write with, and there's something beautiful about that. I can make my own stories, share them with other people, and spread a little happiness in the world. What's not to love about that?

I also write because I've made a habit out of it - if I go more than one day without spending at least an hour writing, then I feel off.

Why do you touch yourself at night
Because nobody can stop me. Everybody who's tried has met an unfortunate end.

PunishedKom

I write because I don't have the resources to make massive high-budget movies. Creating worlds is as cheap as having an imagination and something to write with, and there's something beautiful about that. I can make my own stories, share them with other people, and spread a little happiness in the world. What's not to love about that?

I also write because I've made a habit out of it - if I go more than one day without spending at least an hour writing, then I feel off.

my man

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off

John Wick with a pen.

"He killed my notebook. I killed his everything"

Businesssn

Brick-San the god of wholesome hentai
Oh, also because I have little voices telling me to.