What's The Reason For Your System?

AuntieMaysLittleCousin

Level 73 Practical Procastinator
So, quite a lot of web and light novels use a so-called 'system'. I won't start discussing this or that details, since they can go from overly excessive to completely ommited.
My question to you, writers, is... Why exactly is there a system in your story?
Now, don't misunderstand me. I'm talking about the reason why you put a system in your story. It was probably either because you like litRPGs, because it's a popular recurse, or simply because you just want to.

No, no no no. My question is, how exactly is the existence of your system justified in your world, universe, toybox, sexual dungeon, etc etc etc?
Is it because the world is secretly just another Matrix?
Is it because mother nature finally acquired a way of communicating with her children and this is her way to do so?
Is it because your God was too bored and decided to implement a game-like system because it was cool and mainly because he was bored (did I mention immortality makes your life really lackluster)?
BTW, mine is last.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Game-like systems specifically or anything that could be classified as a system(like the usual fire, earth, water, and wind[occasionally light and dark too]) and mana)?

Last edited:

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
I usually have it as something set up by the gods. In An Automated Tale, it's meant to be something two factions of gods set up to manage the right to make changes to the world. The system kept getting added to, so it gained various other factors.

AuntieMaysLittleCousin

I usually have it as something set up by the gods. In An Automated Tale, it's meant to be something two factions of gods set up to manage the right to make changes to the world. The system kept getting added to, so it gained various other factors.
Well, that's actually pretty similar to my own story. Basically, Joe (the God of MC's word, and some others in the vicinity) felt bored, so he implemented the System as a way to create entertainment.
Then an opposing God (Don) who was quarreling with him for the dominion of his piece of universe joined into the fun and bent the system, adding a few extra features to it

MrPopocap

Mine was a gift from God, because he sent our MC to a world where the Zombie Apocalypse will begin.

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
Define system.
A system is a group of interacting or interrelated elements that act according to a set of rules to form a unified whole. A system, surrounded and influenced by its environment, is described by its boundaries, structure, and purpose and expressed in its functioning. Systems are the subjects of study of systems theory and other systems sciences.

Systems have several common properties and characteristics, including structure, function(s), behavior, and interconnectivity.

SternenklarenRitter

It's not a 'system' so much as just how most mages tend to make sense of the complex information that results from an appraisal divination. Over time, appraisal rituals come to include the orthodox method of returning the results in readable format, and the people gradually started to believe in some sort of 'system' that hands out stat points for achievements. In truth the system only exists in the minds of the people who 'read' it.

AuntieMaysLittleCousin

It's not a 'system' so much as just how most mages tend to make sense of the complex information that results from an appraisal divination. Over time, appraisal rituals come to include the orthodox method of returning the results in readable format, and the people gradually started to believe in some sort of 'system' that hands out stat points for achievements. In truth the system only exists in the minds of the people who 'read' it.
Oh, that's a cool and original pseudo-system

Le_ther

Not a author but my author friend often uses system as some sort of extraordinary being that governs life or to a sense an entity called "god" by the world. In my interpretation however, I think of systems as a guiding tool set by the "god"

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It's because I wanted to keep writing instead of ending the story.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Well, that's actually pretty similar to my own story. Basically, Joe (the God of MC's word, and some others in the vicinity) felt bored, so he implemented the System as a way to create entertainment.
Then an opposing God (Don) who was quarreling with him for the dominion of his piece of universe joined into the fun and bent the system, adding a few extra features to it
Ah, well in mine there are three general groups of gods. "Stasis/Order" "Change/Chaos" and "Free/Unaligned", they ended up all working together when establishing the system to set rules for when Changes could or could not be made to the world. Basically, every Cycle of one hundred years a new Demon King emerges, and if the Demon King fulfills their own objective, the god or goddess with the closest connection to the Demon King can change the world or system itself in some way. Due to the changes game like elements were gradually added, and even other "Cycles" that encourage change, but in controlled, "Ordered" if you will, ways.

IdleYoungMaster

Interestingly, I find systems as a kind of deus ex machina, but more subtle. It allows us to interfere with the story and not make it seem like the protag is over-abusing his/her plot armor (luck, fate, etc). It also makes the story better, so why not?
As to how the system came to my work, MC basically received a primitive version from the root of all realities, one that allows level ups and quests. But, he modified it to be more advanced when he became stronger. It evolved from only giving quests and leveling up to one that has a store, and analyze things by itself, which is basically being his assistant in the end.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
A system is a group of interacting or interrelated elements that act according to a set of rules to form a unified whole. A system, surrounded and influenced by its environment, is described by its boundaries, structure, and purpose and expressed in its functioning. Systems are the subjects of study of systems theory and other systems sciences.

Systems have several common properties and characteristics, including structure, function(s), behavior, and interconnectivity.

set of functions and variables that handle all the information in the world, usually allowing its inhabitants to have some level of access to information

Huh. I guess I don't have a system, then.

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
My system was created to prevent everything from being turned back into primordial soup by angry primordial soup... So that's that.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
So all pawns play their roles right. Less cringe and more detailed explanation: In my world, heroes and villains summoned from other worlds are just there to give a show to gods(even though no one, except a select few, knew that) who enjoy watching them. You are not there to stop the demon king and save the world for good, you are there because some cosmic beings wanted to watch random people with magical powers fight, and the system is there to give them powers, and if anyone decides to choose a path gods do not approve, to put them back in line.