When do you start reading a novel?

How many chapters need to be published minimum before you start reading a novel?

Votes: 13 31.7%

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • 10+

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 30+

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 50+

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • 100+

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Only if its completed

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters

SailusGebel

I think 3 is enough for me. However, it depends on how interested I am in the novel.

Daitengu

20+ chapters, or if I know the author completes what they wrote, just 1. However if I see an author with like six stories, and none are complete, I won't bother with trying any of their works until complete.

ACertainPassingUser

Good description.

Thats one of the best way to see writer's wrriting quality.

Even when the story only got 5 chapter and left on hiatus for years, if it has a good description, it probably going to be a very enjoyable short ride.

Short enjoyable ride > Long insuferrable grind binge reading.

ArugonW

Any number of chapter/s if I enjoy it, but I can't finish reading a novel I just gets off at chapter 5 of the novel 🫣

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
100+

For chinese works. And I am still currently being burnt when the author just yeets off, castrating the work at chp 200++

Really am considering to increase 100+ to higher, but then my scope will drop as hell.

I will also not read works that have more than 1000+ chapters, namely because it is a good indicator that it is all filler.

Furthermore, I will NOT read works that are completed and under 100 chapters for it provide me with vibes of rushed works.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
I confess I rarely take a second glance at novels if they have less than 50 chapters. Though if it looks interesting enough there's a chance I'll click on it

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
As many as I think are needed for something in itself interesting to happen.
I dip into a lot of short works that offer intriguing premises, but not necessarily because I expect them to be good long term.
For the ones I do expect to keep me following along, seeing it updated at an at least somewhat regular interval is more important to me than backlog, at least with new works.

FebyA

1. Probably because I am also a writer and often read to get inspired.
If it's for pure enjoyment... 20+? 100+? I'm not sure. A good synopsis and cover is more important.

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
I picked 5 but it's generally 3-4 chapters. My usual defining method of choice though is if the story has been updated within the last few months (as life tends to bite me in the behind, I get how it can take months to get a chapter up).

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
Unless there are specifics (for example, I already know the author and I like their work), I need there to be a large backlog of chapters before I start reading. I believe that a minimum of 30 chapters is enough for me to consider a novel.

Tempokai

Overworked One
Depends on the premise, but if it's good (usual) 10+. If the premise is super intriguing, then 3+ chapters. I don't wait for completion because oftentimes I just drop them when they become mediocre