When Your Character Greets an Old Friend

JayDirex

It may have been on Reddit, but I recall in a discussion about how to find and give voice to your MC/characters, a question you can ask your character is:

How would he/she greet an old friend on the street?

How they greet them tells you a lot about the character. Go ahead and ask your MC that question. I did for each one of my stories and was like yep that's who she/he is!

feel free to write it below ^_^ so I can read em.

Draculus-del-Viafat

If my Annabel met a good old friend while yet being a slave, she'd certainly jump to them and hug them so tight they wouldn't be able to breathe. Then they'd talk about how all those years had passed and what had happened during the time they were apart, and it definitely would last for the whole day, even dispite the fact a watcher would be mad at her. Annabel'd ask them many questions, but wouldn't tell much about her own living, avoiding straight answers and probably lying.
And if she met a friend while being free, she'd do the same, but would also invite them for tea and talk for hours, enjoying their company.

JayDirex

If my Annabel met a good old friend while yet being a slave, she'd certainly jump to them and hug them so tight they wouldn't be able to breathe. Then they'd talk about how all those years had passed and what had happened during the time they were apart, and it definitely would last for the whole day, even dispite the fact a watcher would be mad at her. Annabel'd ask them many questions, but wouldn't tell much about her own living, avoiding straight answers and probably lying.
And if she met a friend while being free, she'd do the same, but would also invite them for tea and talk for hours, enjoying their company.
A curious sweet spirit 😊

Tejoka

Interesting thought experiment!
My MC's situation makes that a bit hard, since she's transmigrated. If she saw an old fried from Earth, she'd look for foul play and try to determine if someone was screwing with her mind, interrogate the friend and try to ascertain if they're lying, and send someone to let her new family know.
If she met someone who's an old friend from her life in this world, she'd be awkward, probably try to hide the face she doesn't remember depending on their identity, and just try to get some distance. If she had to, she'd fake being insulted or something to justify cutting them off.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
It may have been on Reddit, but I recall in a discussion about how to find and give voice to your MC/characters, a question you can ask your character is:

How would he/she greet an old friend on the street?

How they greet them tells you a lot about the character. Go ahead and ask your MC that question. I did for each one of my stories and was like yep that's who she/he is!

feel free to write it below ^_^ so I can read em.
Kind of difficult, since my MC is an aardwolf...
Hmm, I honestly don't know since they haven't really made friends with the characters in the story. It would be more their Tamer who would do the greeting to old friends but...he doesn't have any due to his childhood being unpleasant.
'-'

There is a moment I am planning in the story for the MC with this scenario but it would be a massive spoiler.
>w<

It's a good question, though. I'm just a bit sad I can't properly answer it.
orz

X

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Anima is amnesiac, so no go there. But Tai, hmm. Probably just be excited to see them again, but then, they wouldn't recognize him since he has changed so much. If they didn't freak out about him being a monster, he'd probably just, deflate and awkwardly try to introduce himself while avoiding mentioning who he used to be. If they did recognize him, due to his personality, or what have you, he'd laugh off his transformation and want to just, hang out?

JayDirex

Interesting thought experiment!
My MC's situation makes that a bit hard, since she's transmigrated. If she saw an old fried from Earth, she'd look for foul play and try to determine if someone was screwing with her mind, interrogate the friend and try to ascertain if they're lying, and send someone to let her new family know.
If she met someone who's an old friend from her life in this world, she'd be awkward, probably try to hide the face she doesn't remember depending on their identity, and just try to get some distance. If she had to, she'd fake being insulted or something to justify cutting them off.
That says a lot about her. now was she always this paranoid or did transmigration make her that way?

JayDirex

Anima is amnesiac, so no go there. But Tai, hmm. Probably just be excited to see them again, but then, they wouldn't recognize him since he has changed so much. If they didn't freak out about him being a monster, he'd probably just, deflate and awkwardly try to introduce himself while avoiding mentioning who he used to be. If they did recognize him, due to his personality, or what have you, he'd laugh off his transformation and want to just, hang out?
Even after all that change he's still a friendly guy.

Sii

I have a bunch of MC's so definitely figuring out their voices has been a bit of a challenge.

One, her name is Wha, would probably slap them really hard on the back and make a really lewd comment along the lines of "How's your little thingy doing? Still miss me?"
'Ekolu is a dense, straightforward, idiotic asshole and wouldn't have any old friends because past situations.
Taha was always a loner because he's an ugly little sadistic shithead.
Nima would facepalm and avoid them. Most of his old friends have a really hard time getting him to even acknowledge their existence.
Fiti would offer a warm hug and a polite hello while not revealing a whole lot.
Rua would be coldly polite, she doesn't believe in sentimental attachments and is preoccupied with who she currently serves.
And Wanu wouldn't even introduce herself because she changed her appearance and no one would recognize her.

JayDirex

I have a bunch of MC's so definitely figuring out their voices has been a bit of a challenge.

One, her name is Wha, would probably slap them really hard on the back and make a really lewd comment along the lines of "How's your little thingy doing? Still miss me?"
'Ekolu is a dense, straightforward, idiotic asshole and wouldn't have any old friends because past situations.
Taha was always a loner because he's an ugly little sadistic shithead.
Nima would facepalm and avoid them. Most of his old friends have a really hard time getting him to even acknowledge their existence.
Fiti would offer a warm hug and a polite hello while not revealing a whole lot.
Rua would be coldly polite, she doesn't believe in sentimental attachments and is preoccupied with who she currently serves.
And Wanu wouldn't even introduce herself because she changed her appearance and no one would recognize her.
you know your characters 😁

Reactions: Sii

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
My characters would say such things as:

"Hello. It's been a while."

"Well, well, well, would you look what the cat dragged in!"

"Hey, shithead. How's the family?"

My characters are not normal people.

Tejoka

That says a lot about her. now was she always this paranoid or did transmigration make her that way?
I wouldn't call it paranoid exactly, but she's definitely cautious and cool-headed, and the transmigration did affect her.

Interesting to read everyone's answers. It looks like there are less 'normal people' than not.

Sii

I wouldn't call it paranoid exactly, but she's definitely cautious and cool-headed, and the transmigration did affect her.

Interesting to read everyone's answers. It looks like there are less 'normal people' than not.

Yeah, my characters aren't exactly people. They've mostly forgotten what it's like to be actually human beings lol.

And your MC sounds pretty damned smart to me. I'd be pretty suspicious too if I met someone, anyone really, from my homeworld after being transmigrated.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Shiro don't have friends he'd consider "old buddies". He kinda cut ties with his past and went off with a new slate.

If he DID have old friends though, he'd probably join them for a smoke and reminisce about life in former Yugoslavia while having a bootleg cheap cigarette in his mouth

Maple_Mrch

"huh? Gae? You're Gae? You're still alive? Hahaha."

"Ah, Pasta, it's you! Longtime no see." Gae surprised when he saw a man who calling him.