Which Tags are red flags?

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
In your opinion. Which tags are red flags? Simple right?

Mine are Boys Love, Transgender, and Harem

I'm not transphobic by any means, it's just, more often than not, stories that have this tag put identity politics first before a good story.

Harem, well, we already have A TON of overpowered harem seeking protagonists that it became boring, repetitive and overall lazy, especially ones with Game like RPG Systems. Authors who usually have that tag are either
A. Horny AF
B. Have a Power trip in stories
Or
C. Uncreative

I rarely see stories with Transgender and Harem tags get past 20 chapters. The reasons above are the issue

Koshk

I mean, as a trans person, sometimes it's just hard to not talk about how people are constantly trying to assault my community for existing, and obstructing me from health care, but sure. I do understand wanting to stay away from those parts, with how hopeless it can seem at times. What constitutes as identity politics by the way? Are you from America? Just curious.
I agree with the harem one though. Rather than transgender, gender bender seems to be more horny than plot or introspection about dysphoria, also... I feel bad for the girls in those stories. I don't mind power fantasy, but it has to be good effort, ya know?
I avoid GB romance stories nowadays unless it's tragedy or written really damn well too. If someone's writing a gay story chances are they also won't be as racist or nationalistic, so even if romance isn't exactly my thing I do tend to prefer GLs or just non-human romance if possible. In fact, i just prefer not to go into romance if possible, but by sheer amount of them i kind of have no choice past a certain point. 'Tis the society we live in.

But yeah, I agree with Ennui, going by tags usually is a bit too general, but I like to circumvent that by way of just scrolling through my recommended, so I don't get my eyes burnt by some ai-generated lolita with inhuman tits on a cover. Hope that answered your question! ^^

RiaCorvidiva

Lady with a Caws.
I mean, as a trans person, sometimes it's just hard to not talk about how people are constantly trying to assault my community for existing, and obstructing me from health care, but sure. I do understand wanting to stay away from those parts, with how hopeless it can seem at times. What constitutes as identity politics by the way? Are you from America? Just curious.
I agree with the harem one though. Rather than transgender, gender bender seems to be more horny than plot or introspection about dysphoria, also... I feel bad for the girls in those stories. I don't mind power fantasy, but it has to be good effort, ya know?
I avoid GB romance stories nowadays unless it's tragedy or written really damn well too. If someone's writing a gay story chances are they also won't be as racist or nationalistic, so even if romance isn't exactly my thing I do tend to prefer GLs or just non-human romance if possible. In fact, i just prefer not to go into romance if possible, but by sheer amount of them i kind of have no choice past a certain point. 'Tis the society we live in.

But yeah, I agree with Ennui, going by tags usually is a bit too general, but I like to circumvent that by way of just scrolling through my recommended, so I don't get my eyes burnt by some ai-generated lolita with inhuman tits on a cover. Hope that answered your question! ^^
Well said, and I agree and second all of this.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Badly written descriptions aren't a problem. They can sound as terrible as they want so long as they're not written in bad grammar. Bad grammar is THE instant turn-off for any story.

Any tag with "harem" in its name. At least until we get the "Harem-denying Protagonist" Tag.
If the protagonist in a litrpg story is the only one with a system or some other unexplainable cheat.
"Overpowered" Protagonist tags unless the description makes it clear the story isn't about MC being OP.
"Charismatic Protagonist" or any other Tags indicating a nat20 Charisma roll during character creation make me highly suspicious as well.
The whole cultivation tag set makes me look multiple times at a story I otherwise would read in a heartbeat, just because of how needlessly tedious I know everything will be.

Unless you do the above for subversion or go all-in for sht and giggles. Parody is always welcome.

MatchaChocolate69

Your Favorite Villain

I'm not transphobic by any means, it's just, more often than not, stories that have this tag put identity politics first before a good story.

Harem, well, we already have A TON of overpowered harem seeking protagonists that it became boring, repetitive and overall lazy, especially ones with Game like RPG Systems. Authors who usually have that tag are either
A. Horny AF
Or
C. Uncreative

I rarely see stories with Transgender and Harem tags get past 20 chapters. The reasons above are the issue
I generally tend to avoid fan-fiction. I prefer reading original content.
What really filters for me are the synopsis and the title. If they don't strike me as interesting, I discard the work upfront.

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
What constitutes as identity politics by the way? Are you from America? Just curious.
Constantly reminded "of how bullied and mistreated this character is because she's trans" to try and get your sympathy. Or when "this trans character is born in a Christian family" and all the other stories that uses "being trans" as a personality for a character.

I HATE being reminded of real world drama and problems. Stories are a way to get away from those issues, to create a world we want, an Escape if you will. Not being reminded of all the BS thats happening right now. Like I always say: Leave the real world issues in the real world, focus on how to make your story the best it can be.

I'm not from the US btw, it's that some of the stuff that's happening there is leaking into other countries and I'm starting to get sick of it.

Lloyd

Professional Writer

A. Horny AF
Or
C. Uncreative

I feel the exact same way, except I am transphobic. 😁

Bobple

Specific tags? Not really, mostly if I see horror & gore I might not give it a chance due to being squeamish to the well written side of that combo.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
BL, GL, GB, FUTA, or even plainly romance.

I don't find escapism in romance, I find it in scenarios where MC is blugeoning someone who deserves it to death with their well trained muscles.

And most english written works don't really live to provide such "niche" idea of training one's body to become superhuman and use it to rip and tear others.

Also, mis-labelled tags like BDSM needs to GET THE FUCK OFF. If you don't have a single scene of physical bondage, ok. But if you don't even have submission-dominance role in them, why put the tag?