Why don’t ratings get Review

IshiharaNiaoka

I’m not gonna compare this to other sites, but I feel there is a need for this so that people who just hate on your book could be caught. And if someone gives a low rating they give a reasonable explanation which could help you improve

SailusGebel

Yes. And there is another thing I want to mention. A lot of novels DESERVE those 1-star ratings. The majority of novels DESERVE 1-star ratings. Well, not exactly a 1-star rating. It's a case of those stories not being worthy of all the 5-star ratings they got. After making a feedback thread and looking through a lot of novels, I noticed that A LOT of them deserve 2 or 3 stars, yet the overall rating of most novels I've read in my thread is 4 and higher. How to offset this? Fucking slap that 1-star rating and make an author cry!

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
Yes. And there is another thing I want to mention. A lot of novels DESERVE those 1-star ratings. The majority of novels DESERVE 1-star ratings. Well, not exactly a 1-star rating. It's a case of those stories not being worthy of all the 5-star ratings they got. After making a feedback thread and looking through a lot of novels, I noticed that A LOT of them deserve 2 or 3 stars, yet the overall rating of most novels I've read in my thread is 4 and higher. How to offset this? Fucking slap that 1-star rating and make an author cry!
Very true, I've seen a lot of novels that don't deserve over a two, yet have mostly five star ratings. Likewise, I've seen stories that deserve five stars getting one and two. People seem to rate more on if they like it than on the actual quality, unfortunately.

bigbear51

Very true, I've seen a lot of novels that don't deserve over a two, yet have mostly five star ratings. Likewise, I've seen stories that deserve five stars getting one and two. People seem to rate more on if they like it than on the actual quality, unfortunately.
I would say that makes complete sense seeing as more readers are here to, you know, read. Instead of being critics.

InceTagn

A stranger passing by.
What is so Strange?

You read, you like and so you rate 4*

You read , you do not like and feel like you have wasted your time 1*

IshiharaNiaoka

Makes sense. Maybe smut pumped up the ratings. Because it would be funny if someone made 30 accounts to give themselves ratings
I see, but is there a way to improve that

SailusGebel

Makes sense. Maybe smut pumped up the ratings. Because it would be funny if someone made 30 accounts to give themselves ratings
No, it's not smut, and I doubt there are a lot of authors who will make 30 accounts just to make 30 5-star ratings. Especially considering how there are anti-cheat systems, and they might lose those ratings.

The main reason for the extremely skewed rating, in my opinion, is that readers think that 5-star ratings help the novel. They think it helps the author, some readers who rate 5-stars are authors, so they give high ratings as an acknowledgment of an author's hard work and encouragement. Some readers give 5-stars simply because they really liked the novel, but all of it is a part of the problem. Because usually, those readers and authors who rate other stories don't rate the novel 1-star even if they disliked it. It's frowned upon and seen as a dick move. Why would you ruin the mood of an author who worked hard to splurge some words? Because of that, almost every novel has an average rating of 4 and higher. The novels that don't have such a rating are either really bad or very controversial.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I think what pissed me off the first time is that almost all 4+ star novels on SH are terribly written and probably deserve 2-3 stars. I think that pissed me off that my novel got 3 stars (which might be accurate for the low effort I put into writing it) despite being better grammatically and with more developed characters than a lot of the 4+ star ones... which I'd honestly rate 2-3 stars at best.

It boils down to the ratings being crap all around, and I waste time reading crap just because someone is a fan of an author and rates it high.
But anyway, to the OP.

Don't bother asking for a change in the review/rating process. The people who use this site like it this way and forcing a change on them doesn't make sense.

SH makes money through visits and ads. No one is paying money to SH itself so the current model works for sustaining the site. If SH starts charging people to read novels then there might be more of a case to argue about it.