Why don't they write proper synopses?

PeacefulMyst

In your heart~
[opinion] because they are hard to write? [opinion]
[example] Like for example, me. Spent hours writing a synopsis and it's garbage. [example.]

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
A synopsis is hard to write, especially at the beginning when all you really have is the outline and a few characters. It isn't until after the story progresses a bit that a good synopsis can be written and it's still hard. That said, a bad synopsis will only hurt the story they are writing so they should spend time working on making it good.

Tesha-X

Ai-chan has never seen anything like that here. Can you provide a link so that Ai-chan can understand the topic better?
[Unsure] I hope I won't offend, but here you go. [Unsure]

[Explanation] That one was what made me write the post in the first place. Since then, I seem to see this stuff everywhere. [Explanation]

[Opinion] To be clear, I'm not talking about the quality of the novel or its originality. I'm talking about how the author presents their story, because "clothes make the man and the ladyman".

The synopsis is a story's ballroom gown.

The author, if he wants his daughter/son/unclear to catch some good eyes at the ball must spend some time grooming them before letting them go out, otherwise respectable gentlemen/gentlewomen wouldn't bat an eye or even be disgusted at them. [Opinion]

[Apologetic] So, yeah. Sorry for mentioning your story if you ever see this, author-of-above-linked-story. [Apologetic]

D

Deleted member 57675

I write shitty synopses but I think I have easier time doing that than the actual story. Probably because I'm too lazy to write more. That, and I can't find my notes in one place, if they existed...

Synopsis here is like Wattpad's story info or a traditional book's blurb. You use it as a sales pitch. A very brief idea of what's going on then mystery hook.

How much or how little they write depends on their stories. I've seen a few sentences that would be more interesting than someone's two to three paragraphs one.

Sometimes things like this:

Ethan didn't know that today he was going to get eaten by a dragon to supposedly treat a grapplevinyle's allergy, but here we are.

Vs.

Ethan was an average person in his previous life. He got hit by a truck and isekaied. This world he's now in is full of magical wonders. Follow Ethan as he makes his journey through this world.

Now, online sites people do what they do to pull their audience in. If they know what kind of target audience they're going after, they may not be so formal or make a sloppy blurb because sometimes that oddly attracts others. Sometimes its just telling them straight up what it is, what they[readers] want to read.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tesha-X

I write shitty synopses but I think I have easier time doing that than the actual story. Probably because I'm too lazy to write more. That, and I can't find my notes in one place, if they existed...

Synopsis here is like Wattpad's story info or a traditional book's blurb. You use it as a sales pitch. A very brief idea of what's going on then mystery hook.

How much or how little they write depends on their stories. I've seen a few sentences that would be more interesting than someone's two to three paragraphs one.

Sometimes things like this:
Ethan didn't know that today he was going to get eaten by a dragon to supposedly treat a grapplevinyle's allergy, but here we are.

Vs.

Ethan was an average person in his previous life. One day as he came home, he didn't watch the road signs and got hit by a truck and isekaied. This world he's in is full of magical wonders. Follow Ethan as he makes his journey through this world.
[Resignation] These days even a carefully written synopsis like that gets drowned by the flood caused by the internet becoming mainstream. [Resignation]

[Explanation] That's why I don't truly look at the thing's originality anymore—because that's been dead since all those werewolf omega-verse books—but shifted to looking at how much care the author bothered to put into it. [Explanation]

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
[Rant] Isn't a synopsis supposed to be a kind of summary to pull readers in?

If so, why am I seeing some variations of
"He badassely kicks some asses, and then awesomely rides his RAD skull bike into the sunset" all the time? [Rant]

[Opinion] Like, that's a red flag there. Readers are like babies with PTSD, you can't interest them with bright toys(originality) anymore. Instead, trick them with some magic tricks(summaries), and once they're amazed—because readers, like babies, are profoundly stupid—only then you give them the toys(originality). [Opinion]

[Explanation] If you are wondering why I'm tagging my paragraphs, it's to help some people understand subjectivity. [Explanation]

[Reflection] I realised how cringe this is just now, but I'm still gonna post it. [Reflection]
You think those are a problem? You should see some of the Chinese synopses, you can't tell if they are talking about their novel or the weather

Any synopsis that at least tells you what the story is remotely about is already a plus in my book