Why the *beep* does the female protag keep returning to her abuser?

Immortal_17

Easy. It's for "padding" x "drama".
It also apply for male MCs isekais and for heartwarming rebirth-in-time romcom novels with a chinese MC, or worse example of all "love triangle harem dense beta MC jp old animes".

Look at what looks like a series with a smart/decisive/strong MC :
original drawn by bb_(baalbuddy)
16 years oldšŸ’€

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
God don't I love teenage Manhua love stories

Agentt

Thighs
*sips tea*
I am bewildered no one talked about how this does happen in real life.

Of course, not as "romantically" as these manhuas show, that is just what the society wants; but in real life, it is very common for the abused to be hesitant to leave the abuser. Most of the time, its the good memories holding them back, the sound in heart which tells them, "He is a good person at heart, he just gets angry sometimes. Once his stress is gone, he will love you lots", though there is also the factor that one gets used to abuse to the extent that regular world looks scary and uncertain.

Shyberu

Different cultures like different things, but judging from what you've read, its probably made in East/Southeast Asia. (Most likely China & Co), but alot of people in China loves this kind of story. Take a walk down any random street in Chinese cities and you'll see how the men there think of women, hence how their views affect the kind of stuff being made (See: Mass produced Cultivation stories). At the very least, if your going to read Chinese Shoujo, read the ones made by women authors or well known guy authors with highly reviewed books (by western reviewers), since their views aren't as fucked. Best of luck to you!

SailusGebel

*sips tea*

Of course, not as "romantically" as these manhuas show, that is just what the society wants; but in real life, it is very common for the abused to be hesitant to leave the abuser. Most of the time, its the good memories holding them back, the sound in heart which tells them, "He is a good person at heart, he just gets angry sometimes. Once his stress is gone, he will love you lots", though there is also the factor that one gets used to abuse to the extent that regular world looks scary and uncertain.
First of all, Hans talked about this. Secondly, as it's lighthearted escapism, you would expect those stories to be like shounens\harems. Yet girls in shoujo fall in love with assholes and sadists. The question, from what I understood, is if a lover in fiction can be anything, why are they(shoujo\josei authors) making him an asshole? It's not like girls in harems are realistic. No girl will fall in love with a boy for picking up an eraser, but authors still write those stupid, unrealistic girls because boys yearn for that shit.

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
*sips tea*

Itā€™s not the issue. The issue of novel is the protag realised they were abused and doubled down on leaving already. However, the author kept contradicting the novel itself. Thatā€™s where I have a problem with.

Different cultures like different things, but judging from what you've read, its probably made in East/Southeast Asia. (Most likely China & Co), but alot of people in China loves this kind of story. Take a walk down any random street in Chinese cities and you'll see how the men there think of women, hence how their views affect the kind of stuff being made (See: Mass produced Cultivation stories). At the very least, if your going to read Chinese Shoujo, read the ones made by women authors or well known guy authors with highly reviewed books (by western reviewers), since their views aren't as fucked. Best of luck to you!

I actively avoid Chinese novels. There are barely a handful (and I mean it literally) that I actually enjoy. You can say I hold prejudice, but after being failed too many times with little to no novel that meets my taste, I had to cut my investment.
Are we talking about Stockholm syndrome?

Stockholm is just one facade.

Daitengu

I'm old so this term is out of date, but it was called "beaten wife syndrome". Stockholm syndrome is related, but not necessarily violent.

Agentt

Thighs
First of all, Hans talked about this. Secondly, as it's lighthearted escapism, you would expect those stories to be like shounens\harems. Yet girls in shoujo fall in love with assholes and sadists. The question, from what I understood, is if a lover in fiction can be anything, why are they(shoujo\josei authors) making him an asshole? It's not like girls in harems are realistic. No girl will fall in love with a boy for picking up an eraser, but authors still write those stupid, unrealistic girls because boys yearn for that shit.
ah, well, thats just women being women, just like you said. Even here girls love Voldemort and write smutty fanfics about him.