Wish to takeover work on hiatus

ShiXi

Hello I wish to takeover work on hiatus that is like 4years long is there anything I should know or do?

Nneeil

Yeah, always make sure to get permission first. Just like with a woman. Can't force shit.

I mean, technically, you can still take over the work, it's not like anyone is gonna barge into your house and karate chop your windpipe, but for reputation's sake, get permission.

Cossimeri

Purveyor of Yuri Adventures
What is the work you want to take over? Is the original author still publishing here or anywhere else?

Like I agree you should get permission, but if you can't, perhaps you can consider a derivative work? Like take the things you love about their story and apply it to a story of your own. Maybe the world and characters are a bit similar, but every reader has things they wish went differently in a story. Like "I wish the MC would've dated this girl" or "I think the MC should've killed that villain instead of having them imprisoned" if you start making adjustments/changes, you might just find that you've created an entirely different but similar work. (and that would probably go over better anyway)

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I mean, technically, you can still take over the work, it's not like anyone is gonna barge into your house and karate chop your windpipe, but for reputation's sake, get permission.
*is slowly opening up a window into his apartment as you post*
"Oh? I can't do this?"
*quietly closes the window*
"Damn."

Kamelingil

Head of Thicc Thighs Supremacy
Well, I would like to but the story might change drastically because of different ideas. And my other novels aren't hiatus for 4+ years, kinda like 3 months

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Well, I would like to but the story might change drastically because of different ideas. And my other novels aren't hiatus for 4+ years, kinda like 3 months
Why do you think he talked about you?

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
Why do you think he talked about you?
Well, the way they talked it could be read as ANY work that is 4+ years in hiatus… Not sure why they volunteered themselves, however.

Kalliel

Grind, Future, A Beautiful Star
Tag it as a fanfic.
There was one case where I saw someone took over a novel I love that was on hiatus, and I honestly couldn't get past the first few chapters.
It was too different, about everything. I was disappointed, and that took over one is also on hiatus now, I think.
So yeah, don't give false hope.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Do watcha want. If the author abandoned it it’s not likely they’re gonna spend a few hundred to send you a cease and desist. Just don’t claim to be an official continuation

melchi

What is a custom title?
I sometimes feel this way about nyandemic

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
Yeah make it a fanfic. You'll never know how the original author wanted the story to go unless they tell you themselves.

Cool to be a fan and want to pick it up but it's best to just make it a fanfic

Succubiome

I'd concur with just doing a fanfic-- as long as you don't try to claim it's the original work, the author is rather unlikely to get litigious with you-- there's authors who do, but like, even of the bigname authors that's the minority these days.

And even if you get in contact with them, unless they've already read and really really like your stuff, it's unlikely they'd officially hand the reins over to you anyways.

ShiXi

I'm sorry I didn't tell clearly I wanna translate work from syosetu just that someone else took it like 5yrs ago and stopped after like 11 chaps I wanna take over translation work

DeathDoesWonder

I'm sorry I didn't tell clearly I wanna translate work from syosetu just that someone else took it like 5yrs ago and stopped after like 11 chaps I wanna take over translation work
Yeah I just re read that, apologies. I just removed the post.

This is a forum and site for original content and not for translations. So you can ask at NUF

I dare say taking over translation I dare say is more precarious....

again contact the author, get permission.

Failing that you can choose to not do it, or to do it anyway.

as for the translator, the translation industry standard applies, and that is commonly circulated on NUF. IIRC.