World Maps?

Praybird

Alrighty, so...I have a world map that I made a long time ago (or well, continent maps, but close enough), which I look at from time to time while writing. It's really for myself, and I never really went out to post it anywhere - not because I don't want to share, but because I don't know where to share.

And today, a friend brought this topic up again, asking why I don't share it with the readers. And to that, I said...I don't even know where to put it, if at all. It's not a physical book where I can put it in at the very front or something.

So, to all the SH authors out there - if you do (or were to) have a world map, how is it used? If you were to share it, how?

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
I use it just to keep track of character locations. It's an ugly map but it does its job

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
I posted it and pinned it to my X(twitter). this was back before I actually started posting here, and I just hadn't considered including it when I did. That said, I'll definitely be including maps in my future works. I may make another for my story Two Faces, and my next work after Mysthavia (Lay the Dragon, DragonBound, and [unnamed 3rd novel], which is going to be a furry-smut focused Isekai (a request from a reader. He's been very patient, so I owe him a little more than standard).

In short, I'd post it on any social media you have linked to your profile here, as well as an auxillary chapter at the beginning of your story, also including any general world information that the reader needs to know going in.

ACFoster99

The Glossary tab is a good place for stuff like that on this site. If you want to force it to fit in a chapter though, just have the characters looking at maps or something. It doesn't matter if you just throw it in there as something extra tho, just show it when you want/update it.

And that's Inkarnate right? Spent way too long on that site doing the same thing you do.

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
Alrighty, so...I have a world map that I made a long time ago (or well, continent maps, but close enough), which I look at from time to time while writing. It's really for myself, and I never really went out to post it anywhere - not because I don't want to share, but because I don't know where to share.

And today, a friend brought this topic up again, asking why I don't share it with the readers. And to that, I said...I don't even know where to put it, if at all. It's not a physical book where I can put it in at the very front or something.

So, to all the SH authors out there - if you do (or were to) have a world map, how is it used? If you were to share it, how?

Slap it on some extra chapter with a few notes as an additional feature for my work. That's how I include the map.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Where do you make maps. I've been wanting to make a map for my stories for a while now and don't know where to do it.

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
I put it in the Glossary. It's small there, but you just need to click right on the mouse and open it in a new tab to enlarge it.
If it was on a different site, I'd maybe put it in a spoiler underneath the Prologue or something.

Praybird

All the world maps I have seen in stories are placed in a separate chapter with auxiliary information about the novel
Slap it on some extra chapter with a few notes as an additional feature for my work. That's how I include the map.
This is the first thought that came to mind. It felt a little odd releasing a chapter in the middle of the story just for this purpose though, but maybe I can release it and reorder it all the way to the beginning or something...including additional notes and info sound like excellent ideas!

I posted it and pinned it to my X(twitter). this was back before I actually started posting here, and I just hadn't considered including it when I did. That said, I'll definitely be including maps in my future works. I may make another for my story Two Faces, and my next work after Mysthavia (Lay the Dragon, DragonBound, and [unnamed 3rd novel], which is going to be a furry-smut focused Isekai (a request from a reader. He's been very patient, so I owe him a little more than standard).

In short, I'd post it on any social media you have linked to your profile here, as well as an auxillary chapter at the beginning of your story, also including any general world information that the reader needs to know going in.
Huh, I never even considered social media! It didn't even cross my mind because I don't use any, and it unfortunately won't be an option for me, but I'll remember this!

You could post it in the series' glossary.
The Glossary tab is a good place for stuff like that on this site. If you want to force it to fit in a chapter though, just have the characters looking at maps or something. It doesn't matter if you just throw it in there as something extra tho, just show it when you want/update it.

And that's Inkarnate right? Spent way too long on that site doing the same thing you do.
I put it in the Glossary. It's small there, but you just need to click right on the mouse and open it in a new tab to enlarge it.
If it was on a different site, I'd maybe put it in a spoiler underneath the Prologue or something.
Wait, you can put this stuff in glossary?! I had no clue, should look into that...thank you! (And yep, it is Inkarnate. I would've continued using it, but my hecking old PC couldn't even handle processing bigger maps, so I had to stop using it...)

Where do you make maps. I've been wanting to make a map for my stories for a while now and don't know where to do it.
Inkarnate my good friend. It's free, and features are decent enough to produce a good map.
Yep! As Hans said, this is using Inkarnate. The free version is still really good, and paid version doesn't cost much either (though I used it years ago, might've changed...).

Tsuru

Currently having a nostalgia attack
Drawings being FREE
No FANTIA
No onlyfans
No wokeness
Disney movies being good
Star wars supremacy
Good IPs being.......simply good
(The link is 11years old)

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
Huh, I never even considered social media! It didn't even cross my mind because I don't use any, and it unfortunately won't be an option for me, but I'll remember this!
to each their own, but if you really want to take off as an author, it's all but required. I refuse to use twitter personally, but my online persona - my alias, John Owl, does.

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
This is the first thought that came to mind. It felt a little odd releasing a chapter in the middle of the story just for this purpose though, but maybe I can release it and reorder it all the way to the beginning or something...including additional notes and info sound like excellent ideas!
I actually put those on the very last parts of each of my arcs. Here's my story in Syosetu:

1711586303215.png

At the very bottom, it's the first chapter of my 3rd Arc (V10 Monologue). Archive Entries 2 and 3 (extra chapters) are the last two chapters in my 2nd arc. The rest are illustration chapters.

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
Wait, you can put this stuff in glossary?! I had no clue, should look into that...thank you! (And yep, it is Inkarnate. I would've continued using it, but my hecking old PC couldn't even handle processing bigger maps, so I had to stop using it...)
Yeah, there's even a section for "Location" specifically, which is where I put up my Maps.
Inkarnate is the best on the market for me. But it's sad to hear you can't use it anymore.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

At the end of each Arc, in a separate codex chapter. Very useful for calculating distances and travelling times.