Writer's Research Section?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45782

Hi. Just wondering, if it'd be cool if there was a section specifically dedicated to writers sharing what they have researched for their stories? It'd be interesting to learn about stuff others have researched up on. Maybe it might help others and give them some ideas they want to incorporate into their stories too.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
Hi. Just wondering, if it'd be cool if there was a section specifically dedicated to writers sharing what they have researched for their stories? It'd be interesting to learn about stuff others have researched up on. Maybe it might help others and give them some ideas they want to incorporate into their stories too.
Perhaps. I'm not sure how this would function exactly, but I often find myself recommending resources to people, particularly youtube channels that can help with creating fantasy settings. Then I'm always recommending Brandon Sanderson's writing lectures. You basically get a creative writing course for free.

D

Deleted member 45782

Perhaps. I'm not sure how this would function exactly, but I often find myself recommending resources to people, particularly youtube channels that can help with creating fantasy settings. Then I'm always recommending Brandon Sanderson's writing lectures. You basically get a creative writing course for free.
Yeah. Interesting, never heard of Brandon Sanderson. Maybe i'll check it out someday.

I was thinking of maybe a today-i-learned section. but it could be what we researched. maybe some of us are researching some cool myths we want to incorporate into the story and wanted to share. or like something science stuff about the ocean and we want to put that into our sci-fi movie.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I think it would be great to use that section to ask questions about topics we're trying to research but need some extra guidance on. You know, the things we already Googled but didn't find satisfactory answers for. Also, telling people to "just Google it" should be against the forum rules.

D

Deleted member 45782

I think it would be great to use that section to ask questions about topics we're trying to research but need some extra guidance on. You know, the things we already Googled but didn't find satisfactory answers for. Also, telling people to "just Google it" should be against the forum rules.
Yes! Exactly this. A lot of times I'm trying to research something for a story. But then sometimes there are varied results from google search so idk what to follow through and write on...

lambchap

...writers sharing what they have researched for their stories? It'd be interesting to learn about stuff others have researched up on.
Uhmm... I think one of the most terrifying thing in this world is a writer's browser history.

I'm looking at you drama, horror, mystery, dark fantasy, etc. writers. I think most of us writers have looked up something dark for the sake of "writing".

Last edited:

WasatchWind

Yeah. Interesting, never heard of Brandon Sanderson. Maybe i'll check it out someday.

I was thinking of maybe a today-i-learned section. but it could be what we researched. maybe some of us are researching some cool myths we want to incorporate into the story and wanted to share. or like something science stuff about the ocean and we want to put that into our sci-fi movie.
Brandon Sanderson, I think it is fair to say, is nigh to the point, if not already attaining it, of being the best fantasy author in the world right now.

The only reason people have not heard more about him is because they haven't made a movie on his work yet - which won't be too far off.

So I recommend his YouTube channel and writing course to people, because one of the best authors in the world is giving advice for free.

WasatchWind

Uhmm... I think one of the most terrifying thing in this world is a writer's browser history.

I'm looking at you drama, horror, mystery, dark fantasy, etc. writers. I think most of us writer's have looked up something dark for the sake of "writing".
I haven't veered into anything extremely gritty, but the question on my mind right now is, what would be the long term effect of having a bullet shoulder wound in salt water?

D

Deleted member 45782

Went from peaceful dark videos to r/trypophobia/ to komodo dragons and Teddy has an Operation
:sweat_smile: