Writing Writing a Battle Scene

MasFaqih

Hello iam a new Author My novel is still new ,iwant to ask from you all seniors,how do i write battle Scene,did i need to describe the surrounding?did i need to include their emotion,did i need to describe the technique they use?please help me and have mercy😣

Describe it as graphically as possible because we readers need to be able to imagine the fight through your description. And yes, emotions, e.g., facial expressions, screams, etc., can create a better atmosphere.

LilRora

Mostly formless
This all depends on what you want to focus on. There is no one right way to write a battle scene.

Generally though, it depends on your narration. If you're writing in first person, you'll probably want to focus the most on the things the character sees, so actions and visible emotions (face contorted in anger, focused expression, that kind of thing) - ideally you can combine those by describing how a person moves, for example wide, uncoordinated blows or slow, deliberate movements aiming to probe the opponent.

The surroundings are a bit debatable, but generally, unless you have a very good reason to, don't insert descriptions of surroundings inside a quick, intense battle scene. If you have a bit of a break in the action, you can do a bit longer description of the battlefield, but generally try to describe it together with actions, something like the sword tore the air inches front his nose and embedded into the tree on his right.

In the third person, especially omniscient narrator, you have some more leeway, but the same advice applies. The differences are visible when you have an omniscient narrator, because unlike with first person, you can say a lot of things directly instead of alluding to them through descriptions, mainly emotions.

MasFaqih

Thanks you for you all for replying my threads ,i now have a better understanding of it so this is for you all
IMG-20240412-WA0014.jpg

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Everything is variable. But personally, I like to describe the surroundings first, then focus on the combatants, and their actions, only mentioning the surroundings again if the battle shifts or part of the environment plays an important part in the fight.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
I think most of the people here are forgetting one specific, but very important thing: There's a major difference to a 1-v-1 battle and a mass scale battle or an entire war. depending on the scale, you should change tactics and focus on different aspects. if it's 1-v-1, then write it just like dialogue. give and take. hit and recoil.

if it's a mass scale battle, focus more on the overall picture, but still pick a handful of characters to show off the blood and grit. but show more of the group dynamics and less specific action. "group 1 moves to the left to flank group 2. Group 2, has their focus on group 3" sort of thing.

If it's a full scale war, you'll want to consider the politics more. consider it like you're a king overlooking the war front. you get the general gist of who is where and what they're doing, but you miss the finer details entirely.

I mention all three scales, because "battle" in writing terms can be sued to describe any of those.

MasFaqih

I think most of the people here are forgetting one specific, but very important thing: There's a major difference to a 1-v-1 battle and a mass scale battle or an entire war. depending on the scale, you should change tactics and focus on different aspects. if it's 1-v-1, then write it just like dialogue. give and take. hit and recoil.

if it's a mass scale battle, focus more on the overall picture, but still pick a handful of characters to show off the blood and grit. but show more of the group dynamics and less specific action. "group 1 moves to the left to flank group 2. Group 2, has their focus on group 3" sort of thing.

If it's a full scale war, you'll want to consider the politics more. consider it like you're a king overlooking the war front. you get the general gist of who is where and what they're doing, but you miss the finer details entirely.

I mention all three scales, because "battle" in writing terms can be sued to describe any of those.
Thanks for your reply ,actually what i want to do is group battle 1vs several people,now that i see your comment i have an idea how to write it,thanks you very much😣

John_Owl

Thanks for your reply ,actually what i want to do is group battle 1vs several people,now that i see your comment i have an idea how to write it,thanks you very much😣
1-v-many is usually written as multiple 1-v-1. especially with multiples overlapping. stab at one, turn to parry another, etc.

but if you've got a direction, that's good enough! I look forward to reading it when you're done :blob_wink:

Paytoechip

Hello iam a new Author My novel is still new ,iwant to ask from you all seniors,how do i write battle Scene,did i need to describe the surrounding?did i need to include their emotion,did i need to describe the technique they use?please help me and have mercy😣
A friend of mine told me that, when in doubt, be as descriptive of everything as possible.

MasFaqih

1-v-many is usually written as multiple 1-v-1. especially with multiples overlapping. stab at one, turn to parry another, etc.

but if you've got a direction, that's good enough! I look forward to reading it when you're done :blob_wink:
Iam sorry its actually not as actually 1vs many its just regular 1vs1 but the other prepare a formation to weaken him after the formation worked they attack him at the same time,how do you write this ,iam sorry for asking too much😣
A friend of mine told me that, when in doubt, be as descriptive of everything as possible.
Thanks you for your advice i think your friends is cool 😣

John_Owl

Iam sorry its actually not as actually 1vs many its just regular 1vs1 but the other prepare a formation to weaken him after the formation worked they attack him at the same time,how do you write this ,iam sorry for asking too much😣
It's fine. and same as you would a 1v-Many. focus on the first fight, the 1v1, then when the others become relevant, bring them into it.

Think of it as different stages. so, basically, you're looking at stage 1 - the 1v1. partway through that, stage 2, the formation could weaken him. He manages to beat the 1v1, which leads into stage 3, they all attack him at once.

Even if I got the order wrong, it should serve as a good example. plan for 3-4 stages of the fight. each one is one big twist that the MC has to deal with.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
Actually, I found that, especially with a fight scene, too descriptive tends to kill it for me. For me, I like to keep the description a bit loose, but full of impact, and the flow undisrupted. I like to have a constructed movie in my head, so the fact that I have to constantly revise it with more details is not fun and disrupted the flow of it

GabrielTenma

For me when writing fight scenes, I usually focus more on actions and what those said actions cause to the surroundings or why the characters took said action.

I'm not crazily descriptive because I prefer to let the fight flow when I'm writing it than to pad up the chapter with descriptions that I feel most won't care much for.

Like everyone has been saying though, no correct way to write a fight or action scene. Go with what you feel expresses what you want to convey the best.

Some gloss over fights with minimal dialogue, some spend chapters describing certain actions and the overall scene, and some like me will just dive in and try painting a vision.

There's no right or wrong, write the action scene how you feel is best.

(That's all from scribble hub's resident trash author~)

LiteraryWho

I'm going to offer the controversial opinion and say one of the best ways to write a fight scene is not to. Unless a fancy power system or in depth tactical analysis is an essential element of your story, or at least you can use it as a vehicle for character growth, fight scenes are almost universally a waste of time.

Think about what kind of story you want to write, and where fighting actually fits into it, then decide how much, if at all, you should go into describing it.

12Silver

Well I am a very bad author but I am still going to advice which might not be useful you could try to simplify the description like its a forest seen you could just say.
taro arrived in a forest and he see his friends injured in a Swift motion started to cut down all the culprits