Writing bratty characters

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
So I need to write a mischievous, spoiled and bratty child character but I still need her to be (mostly) tolerable as I usually hate spoiled brats in stories; what can I do to reduce the potential annoyance and make her more likable?

Ymadthepirate

Professional Bitch Faggot in da house
I mean depends on the age below the age of ten and its like their annoying but they can change and/or their under ten.

above ten-20 and its like ok kinda annoying

above 20 and its like yeah no this is just terrible behavior

but if you want to write a likable jerk character give them punishments for their actions

LilRora

Mostly formless
I think that if you write under the assumption that you're in her place and you're trying to be mischevious and bratty, then you won't cross the boundary that would make her annoying.

On more serious note though, you definitely should show the consequences of her actions. Unless you can't, then you don't. You can also add some additional cute or kind scenes. Most villains suddenly seem better if you see them doing good things, and I think this advice can be used to brats as well.

Another thing to try is doing her POV where you show her doing bratty things for cute and reasonable reasons, but that has a chance of backfiring completely.

You can check out Villainess and I, her Zombie (on Ranobes, for example), because in first few chapters it's shown quite well how to make a brat (in her case it's angry brat rather than spoiled, but still) without making her completely annoying. Though the story is rather mediocre overall, but it's not like you have to read it whole.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So I need to write a mischievous, spoiled and bratty child character but I still need her to be (mostly) tolerable as I usually hate spoiled brats in stories; what can I do to reduce the potential annoyance and make her more likable?
make her cute. People tolerate the attractive

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
but if you want to write a likable jerk character give them punishments for their actions

Or don't give them punishments for their actions. Not in the Aesop sense at least.

In their natural environment, bratty people usually go without real punishments beyond minor social hits that either do nothing to fix their behavior or ends up reinforcing it for a myriad of reasons. Hell, they're often rewarded, quickly discovering that life is a social game that you can cheat at. If they have a heritage/position advantage, have them milk it for all its worth. Make it their coping method for neglect, a "strategy" imparted upon them by a mentor, or a result of fear/mistrust/vindication for once being on the bottom. This isn't a bad thing as long as you know how to play into it.

Whether or not a brat "pays" for their actions should depend on if they get caught out in a situation where they can be held accountable or if they suddenly lose what let them get away with their crap. For extreme examples, have your exiled prince demand the respect of a mercenary that's already independently wealthy and beyond his legal jurisdiction or place your isekai'd CEO's daughter in a Xianxia sect and turn the plot armor off. Just be aware that punishing bratty characters might satisfy an audience, but it won't be enough to make them like the character, not on it's own.

On the opposite side of things, if you create situations where their behavior would logically warrant immediate retribution but make everything go their way regardless. Your jerk/brat/douchecannoe will usually fail as a character (as seen in Goodbye Deponia and YIIK).

Bratty characters aren't (only) fun because they're a natural source of conflict, they often come with interesting baggage to unpack. Try to spend some time on why she's the way she is and have that flavor her interactions with other characters. Maybe the kid was taught to look down on others, maybe the kid is used to getting her way all the time, maybe her parents are dead and she's been put into a position of power and she's tired and scared and lonely and her prickliness is an attempt at acting in a manner that she thinks befits her station.

If you need to boost her likability right away, sprinkle in some obvious kindness/genuine desire to connect but place some irrational problems in the way. Have whoever has to take care of her balance their empathy with irritation at how hard it is to get her to act like a responsible person- just make sure you don't generate melodrama by underdevolping a social problem or treating it like a one-and-done schtick, never to be referenced again after it's resolved.

Last edited:

Esper

I often write bratty people in a manner that they are just better than you, it would be more like a person with all the power and yet none of the training.

A kid who has a good, natural ability to sneak around or be unnoticed might use it by learning to mimic peoples voices just to mess with others with higher standing.

A person with lots of money might just think anything can be bought, and it often works that way if they offer enough money. This would have them so they aren't bratty in the sense they annoy the reader, they just have such a different view of the world that they are baffled by a change in status quo.

A person who can hear better than others might use it for gossip, as 'what else would a bored person do?' mentality. It isn't that they like watching people fall, they just are bored and they think it is okay.

I think that that would be a key point in making bratty characters, and even villains, they believe it's okay to do what they do, repercussions are just set backs and other such mindset, if the bratty person KNOWS its wrong then it will be more on the annoying side. Like with annoying kids, if you have already told them to "stop touching me please" and they do it again, then they become annoying, before they didn't know you didn't like it, and now they do. I hope this makes sense, and isn't just me rambling...

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
Have her actions make sense.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
use me as reference

Ymadthepirate

Professional Bitch Faggot in da house
Or don't give them punishments for their actions. Not in the Aesop sense at least.

In their natural environment, bratty people usually go without real punishments beyond minor social hits that either do nothing to fix their behavior or ends up reinforcing it for a myriad of reasons. Hell, they're often rewarded, quickly discovering that life is a social game that you can cheat at. If they have a heritage/position advantage, have them milk it for all its worth. Make it their coping method for neglect, a "strategy" imparted upon them by a mentor, or a result of fear/mistrust/vindication for once being on the bottom. This isn't a bad thing as long as you know how to play into it.

Whether or not a brat "pays" for their actions should depend on if they get caught out in a situation where they can be held accountable or if they suddenly lose what let them get away with their crap. For extreme examples, have your exiled prince demand the respect of a mercenary that's already independently wealthy and beyond his legal jurisdiction or place your isekai'd CEO's daughter in a Xianxia sect and turn the plot armor off. Just be aware that punishing bratty characters might satisfy an audience, but it won't be enough to make them like the character, not on it's own.

On the opposite side of things, if you create situations where their behavior would logically warrant immediate retribution but make everything go their way regardless. Your jerk/brat/douchecannoe will usually fail as a character (as seen in Goodbye Deponia and YIIK).

Bratty characters aren't (only) fun because they're a natural source of conflict, they often come with interesting baggage to unpack. Try to spend some time on why she's the way she is and have that flavor her interactions with other characters. Maybe the kid was taught to look down on others, maybe the kid is used to getting her way all the time, maybe her parents are dead and she's been put into a position of power and she's tired and scared and lonely and her prickliness is an attempt at acting in a manner that she thinks befits her station.

If you need to boost her likability right away, sprinkle in some obvious kindness/genuine desire to connect but place some irrational problems in the way. Have whoever has to take care of her balance their empathy with irritation at how hard it is to get her to act like a responsible person- just make sure you don't generate melodrama by underdevolping a social problem or treating it like a one-and-done schtick, never to be referenced again after it's resolved.
oh wow makes sense

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
One, give a valid reason for her brattiness, which you already did.
According to you, she's used to getting her way.

Two, give her interesting traits and have her do more than annoy the protagonist.

Three, there is no three, that was it.

D

Deleted member 57675

-Sad background story.
-Hints of occasionally being nice or show they are not 100% devil's incarnate.

Last edited by a moderator:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
What makes my kid (17 months old) likable is when he smiles, shows signs that he is learning or trying to learn something, or shows sign that he's trying to help. He likes to spill water on the floor, but then after watching me clean it up with a sponge a couple of times, he does it himself when I toss the sponge on the floor for him. He doesn't manage to wipe up the entire spill, but it's cute.

For an older character, I'd say that helping or at least trying to help would make her likable. If her friends need a problem solved, have her use either intelligence or unexpected kindness to help.

DevilPogoStick

While I haven't posted the story here, I recall that one of my protagonists Hiro has a 10 year old younger sister Ami who is kind of a brat that gets on his nerves. Not really spoiled but quite mischievous.

...Then I also recalled they both lost their loving mother at an early age and their father drowned himself in work as a carpenter to cope and not realizing the neglect he's putting his kids through. Hiro spent his days as a delinquent in middle school getting into fights so he was hardly there too for Ami...Then I smack my forehead in realizing that's kind of a fair excuse right there.