Writing Cultivation Novels - Glossary?

Jaredman92

Hello all,

This will be my first thread here, so please let me know if I missed any rules in the terms!

As the title states, I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to create glossary for the cultural and somewhat lore-specific terms, phrases, etc. in my novel. I've noticed from some other threads that many people don't really know the meaning of some of the idioms or terms of address thrown around in wuxia and xuanhuan novels.

I myself am only familiar on a shallow level, with the many different phrases and ways. However, my novel is a xuanhuan for that exact reason. I'm trying to put a Western twist on it, using concepts I'm familiar with while adding in something different.

I worry though, that by mixing these two concepts without educating the reader on what certain cultural things mean, could lead to confusion.

Or I could just be overthinking this and should just put in base-level explanations from the characters perspective.

Either way, thank you for reading this and I'm looking forward to your advice!

D

Deleted member 29316

Yep, you should do that in your glossary. Though, to be honest, it's not that 'eye-catching' to the readers. In any case, remind them from time to time that you have a glossary set up and they could find some explanations in the terms you're using in your story.

Edit: also, you may use the 'Author's Notes' function in the chapter itself. The advantage of this is that you won't overload your readers with information, and at the same time, you'll be able to explain your concepts within tolerable limits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Hello all,

This will be my first thread here, so please let me know if I missed any rules in the terms!

As the title states, I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to create glossary for the cultural and somewhat lore-specific terms, phrases, etc. in my novel. I've noticed from some other threads that many people don't really know the meaning of some of the idioms or terms of address thrown around in wuxia and xuanhuan novels.

I myself am only familiar on a shallow level, with the many different phrases and ways. However, my novel is a xuanhuan for that exact reason. I'm trying to put a Western twist on it, using concepts I'm familiar with while adding in something different.

I worry though, that by mixing these two concepts without educating the reader on what certain cultural things mean, could lead to confusion.

Or I could just be overthinking this and should just put in base-level explanations from the characters perspective.

As @HansTrondheim said, it would be a good idea for those readers not familiar with reading the genre before - or CN's in general.

What I'd do is leave an author's note in the chapters with new words/terms saying their definitions/meanings are in the glossary.
You could even link the words to your glossary - though since I have never utilised the glossary feature for my story I don't know if this is doable.
>w<

I wish you luck with your story!

X

TLCsDestiny

yeah make a glossary and you may find yourself looking at it from time to time too lol.

Jaredman92

Thanks for the suggestions!
I'll definitely have to build out my glossary now. I had totally forgotten about the Author's Note function! I'll have to use that and the glossary linking, so to make it as easy as possible for the readers.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It's already been said, so I'd just like to say that I agree a glossary is a great thing to do.

Welcome, and good luck with your story!

tigerine

Hello all,

I found it helpful to direct readers to a glossary, but xuanhuan is a Chinese fantasy genre that is specifically Chinese without being historical fantasy (e.g., wuxia, or various imperial court dramas). I'm curious how making xuanhuan with a "Western twist" is not just... Western fantasy. Be careful that you interrogate your reasons for keeping or discarding certain parts of a genre that is very culture-specific.

jabathehut

Resident Troll
Hello all,

You shouldn't have to use a glossary

Jaredman92

I found it helpful to direct readers to a glossary, but xuanhuan is a Chinese fantasy genre that is specifically Chinese without being historical fantasy (e.g., wuxia, or various imperial court dramas). I'm curious how making xuanhuan with a "Western twist" is not just... Western fantasy. Be careful that you interrogate your reasons for keeping or discarding certain parts of a genre that is very culture-specific.
Yeah, I've been considering how to implement this.
I distinctly want the foundation of the culture in the theme of Xuanhuan, but with other areas of the world having different cultures.

My hope, as I continue to learn more about Chinese fantasy idioms, traditions, and terms of address, that I can have the world be harsher on the main character as he communicates to those of higher status and his "foreign" roots are no longer giving him a pass on how people react to him.

The western twist, is the ideologies and the themes that the MC brings with him... as well as the later, foreign nations that are introduced.