Writing fantasy novel for the first time

i personally will just start from writing the things i find easiest regarding fantasy. it doesn't really need to be good at all, just go wild.

but yea, remember to make it draft only for yourself. you can edit them at your own pace, when you feel like posting it.

DeviousColony69

Well, depends. What's your goal?
Hard-core fantasy? Allegory?
Pretty sure you've seen or read japanese isekai troupes? That's what my current aim in my writing
I actually love to read history books.
I would just look up channels like.

They seem to be pretty entertaining.
Depending what kind of story you try to tell different countries would be more interesting.

I am just gonna name drop different names and topics that in my opinion, are pretty interesting:
the crusaders, templars, the Jihad, the sicarii, the roman religion and their conflict with early christianity, people like Nero the emperor,

Janissaries. the Praetorian Guard.
These Guys from Assasins creed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Assassins
The Normans/ King Edward the first.
The Holy Roman empire, Egypt, Babylon, Assyria.

Hannibal, Flamma the gladiator, Alexander the great, Ceaser and Augustus/Octavius, Rasputin, Nikolai Alexandrovich Romanov.

These 2 channels talk about D&D lore and creatures.
They should have more than enough to pick your favourites from.

I also like to play games like heroes of might and magic, Age of Wonders etc.
Fantasy games use a lot of fantastical creatures.
Thanks for these man, it's a huge help!

Domoviye

You can:

1) Make one by combining several monster species you already know of;
2) Totally create a new type (though you'd still have to give it characteristics, behaviors, etc.);
3) Search for some local 'monsters' from your own culture and bring them into limelight thru your work.

You can also try subverting a traditional monster/creature characteristic, like in my novel where the usually 'barbaric' goblins and orcs (in other fantasies) were more civilized (they go to school, conduct researches, wear military uniforms and march in lines, akin to 18th and early 19th century European armies) than my humans (who got stuck in medieval culture).
This is great advice for making monsters.

One thing I like to do is look up old myths, cryptids and folklore looking for interesting creatures. Sometimes I go with the tried and true ones, other times I'll go farther afield, depending on the story.
Try to avoid just going with Greek, Japanese and pop culture monsters, there are many more out there that need some love.
But if you do, try to give them some new or old twist. Vampires that have a weakness found in old folklore, like having to count out peas or grains of rice when they see them scattered on the ground is seldom done and could be interesting if done right. Werewolves that need to rub an ointment on themselves around the full moon moves them from a potentially tragic monster to something more akin to a murderous addict. And making elves that are truly from European folklore changes them from pointy eared pretty humans into eldritch entities that humans should generally avoid.

Also making new monsters is always fun. The sky is the limit here.

Last edited:

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
Draw a map, figure out what the terrain is, and decide who lives there. One character is all it takes for an entire culture to snowball out of your brain. Figure out basic resources, climate and if they are the dominant or main culture in that land and who lives nearby - and also, if that was always the case.
My MC comes from a minor culture that once held sway in his world. He thinks differently from the other characters who belong to the dominant culture. This difference in thought feeds into his skills, because he sees the world differently, and also has something to prove (although that's subconscious).
Then, just write! Your 'first' chapter might not end up being your first.
And if you want any really great courses on it, Brando Sando's lectures on youtube are a must.
worldbuilding - I think it's essential, as then you know your world inside out and therefore don't run so much risk of deviating to the point of throwing the entire thing off the rails. You will know how it limits your character, or how hard he has to work to throw off cultural shackles.
Monsters/creatures: I don't use any, apart from a couple of pixies and some vampires. It doesn't need to be that creative or different.

proxybaba

So like, I want to try something for a change of pace and fantasy genres seems to hook me up. I already have the plot (and the ending), the characters and the possible scenarios in my notebook but I still don't have any idea how to execute it. Do you have any tips and advice on how to start writing a fantasy novel?
prepare for how long your story will be
how many arcs and how will the arcs end, some mini-bosses and achievements.
if you are writing some serious fiction then prepare for some death flags for some favourite characters but just don't kill like the game of thrones. in my opinion that hooks me pretty well in fantasy.

lambenttyto

So like, I want to try something for a change of pace and fantasy genres seems to hook me up. I already have the plot (and the ending), the characters and the possible scenarios in my notebook but I still don't have any idea how to execute it. Do you have any tips and advice on how to start writing a fantasy novel?
Start with the characters. What are they doing? Why, and what is getting in the way of their goals?