Writing Habits That You Can't Break

Leti

When I write, I tend to write anything I am thinking of. So there will be many things I need to make clear and some things I need to change. But I also sometimes make changes for different reasons. So my mind is constantly weighing what to do with what I have written.

GhostlyArtz

I also have a pretty bad habit of using "just" to emphasize just about everything.

View attachment 3032
just.PNG

If we are comparing the uses of that word. Given, I have been slowly editing it out haha

D

Deleted member 29316

1. I use a lot of 'Well', 'Ah', and 'Oh'.
  2. I always go online to research, but somehow finds myself reading several unconnected articles.
  3. I dump words. Like really...a lot of these are just fillers.
  4. I bite my pen and pretend its a cigarette while typing. (I can't smoke a real one, I got asthma.)
  5. I listen to music, from Metal Rock, to Novelty songs like Hatsune Miku's version of Ievan Polka.

NirShrall

Whenever I write, I usually use the word "as" too much in my stories, and I often go over and remove a bunch of my uses of it before I publish a draft.

This habit made me think though: what bad writing habits do you have that, no matter what you do, you can't quite seem to shake?
Did you break that habit? Because suffer the same disease :blob_teary: :blob_joy:
I use 'as' quite a lot and waste sooooo much time because I think about ways to formulate the sentence without it.

Goswick

Drunken Australian
Did you break that habit? Because suffer the same disease :blob_teary: :blob_joy:
I use 'as' quite a lot and waste sooooo much time because I think about ways to formulate the sentence without it.
Nope, unfortunately not lol

Tblew

1. Writing in past tense when it should be present.
2. Writing in present tense when it should be past tense.
3. Repeating the same word more than three times in a paragraph (Pet Peeve).
4. Procrastinating when I should be writing (Cough...doing it right now...)
5. Starting other stories when I haven't finished the ones I already posted.
6. Writing on the fly and not properly planning things out until much later.
7. Character dialogue that just falls flat.
8. Writing funny moments that just isn't.
9. Re-reading previously posted chapters, and hating everything I had written.
10. Barely editing a chapter before posting it.

To name a few things...